Where are the reserve parking spots for grumpy old white guys?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I am beginning to think that the specialty parking spots are getting out of hand. So there’s a reserve spots for veterans, reserve spots for the handicapped or the people who think they’re handicapped. we have reserved parking spots for pregnant women. now we have reserved spots for women with small children. What is next? Grandparents? People with red hair?
Everyone wants to be special.
upload_2022-4-3_14-52-25.jpeg

I am beginning to think that the specialty parking spots are getting out of hand. So there’s a reserve spots for veterans, reserve spots for the handicapped or the people who think they’re handicapped. we have reserved parking spots for pregnant women. now we have reserved spots for women with small children. What is next? Grandparents? People with red hair?
Everyone wants to be special.
View attachment 105887
My wife would try to pull that with me on board.

It's not for women with small children, it's for customers with small children.

If you want to park there, just take a small child with you.
Hmmm....perhaps there's an opportunity here to rent out my small children....

So there’s a reserve spots for veterans, reserve spots for the handicapped or the people who think they’re handicapped. we have reserved parking spots for pregnant women. now we have reserved spots for women with small children. What is next? Grandparents? People with red hair?
Isn't it true that handicapped is the only one on the above list that is legally enforceable?

Yes, The rest is a feel good exercise.
And then there is the 'Pro' parking a Lowes.
And why are the curbside pick up spots up front? Park the closest and you are not even getting out of the car?
Actually, I think that all of this is a good idea as the spots always seem to be up front. The good citizens that allow a sign to dictate their behavior make it easy for those of us that feel our money is just as good as everyone else's.

iu

I've been called "special" on more than a few occasions.

So, here's a tip for large parking lots. Everyone tends to congregate in the couple of rows near the doors. But if you go to the far rows you can often find a space near the front that's actually less walking distance than the more contested spaces in the middle rows.

Source: I listened to entire audiobook on the science behind traffic which had a chapter on parking lot design. I got really bored during my desk job days....

So, here's a tip for large parking lots. Everyone tends to congregate in the couple of rows near the doors. But if you go to the far rows you can often find a space near the front that's actually less walking distance than the more contested spaces in the middle rows.

Source: I listened to entire audiobook on the science behind traffic which had a chapter on parking lot design. I got really bored during my desk job days....

What's really weird is that if you don't care about minimizing walk distance and purposely park your car very far away where there is no one else around (nicely centered in the lines, not being a douche at all) because you don't want anyone parking next to you... you have a 90% chance of coming back to find some beat up sedan or pick-up angled right up against you...
tij5RA5.jpg

Yeah. I think because many people are incapable of having an original thought. Or even worse, that they believe randomly following what someone else did is a good plan.

Yeah. I think because many people are incapable of having an original thought. Or even worse, that they believe randomly following what someone else did is a good plan.

Or when I was younger and didn't have a decent car I would be that guy that parked right next to the Corvette that was way out just to mess with him.

What's really weird is that if you don't care about minimizing walk distance and purposely park your car very far away where there is no one else around (nicely centered in the lines, not being a douche at all) because you don't want anyone parking next to you... you have a 90% chance of coming back to find some beat up sedan or pick-up angled right up against you...
tij5RA5.jpg
That brings up an interesting question. The other day I found a spot at the end of the row so I made sure to park as close to the end of the row as possible. As a matter of fact, I was the first one to park in that row. Since the end of the row didn't have a curb, my tires might have been slightly over the line. In the meantime, a 2022 Bronco sidled up next to me into my spot and way too close for comfort. Was the Bronco the jerk? Or was I the jerk for being over the line and the Bronco was just teaching me a lesson?

upload_2022-4-3_20-9-26.png

That brings up an interesting question. The other day I found a spot at the end of the row so I made sure to park as close to the end of the row as possible. As a matter of fact, I was the first one to park in that row. Since the end of the row didn't have a curb, my tires might have been slightly over the line. In the meantime, a 2022 Bronco sidled up next to me into my spot and way too close for comfort. Was the Bronco the jerk? Or was I the jerk for being over the line and the Bronco was just teaching me a lesson?

View attachment 105902

That's weird. I'd hope he/she was just parking cluelessly, maybe never had an SUV before or something. If you're not taking up part of someone else's space, who cares?
The only time I've heard of anyone parking to specifically annoy someone would be for someone that parks their car in the middle of two spots, especially in a crowded lot.

Was the Bronco the jerk?
More likely didn't know how to park.
. But if you go to the far rows you can often find a space near the front that's actually less walking distance than the more contested spaces in the middle rows.
Being as I am a lazy fart, I just park somewhere out in the lot rather than driving around looking for a spot. One morning, my daughter is with me - I park as usual and get the "Do you think you could park any further away?" sarcasm. I said "Yes" and proceeded to drive to the far edge of the parking lot and parked there. Never got that routine again.

Or when I was younger and didn't have a decent car I would be that guy that parked right next to the Corvette that was way out just to mess with him.

I'm sorry for whatever has gone wrong in your life/mental health that resulted in you deriving pleasure from inflicting petty acts of hostility towards complete strangers.

Some people do volunteer work to help others, some people are on the other end of the spectrum I guess. I choose the former but you do you...

Who says we’re grumpy?

Get off my yard!

I'll roll with Occam's Razor, the Bronco dude may have seen that you parked to the far side of your end space, knew you liked your car and wouldn't likely bang his with your door, and cheated a little into your space to protect the other side of his new car.

I'm sorry for whatever has gone wrong in your life/mental health that resulted in you deriving pleasure from inflicting petty acts of hostility towards complete strangers.

Some people do volunteer work to help others, some people are on the other end of the spectrum I guess. I choose the former but you do you...

I never crowded the lines, but I also didn't know you dedicated your life to helping others and did nothing else at age 16. Good for you though, not many people were truly altruistic at that age.

Oh wait, how many lifeline flights have I done since I started flying? Oh yeah, lost count. Maybe I could start posting about all those flights, like how some people brag about their cars and jets.

I never crowded the lines, but I also didn't know you dedicated your life to helping others and did nothing else at age 16. Good for you though, not many people were truly altruistic at that age.

Oh wait, how many lifeline flights have I done since I started flying? Oh yeah, lost count. Maybe I could start posting about all those flights, like how some people brag about their cars and jets.

...so just doubling down on the petty hostility, huh? Nice!

...so just doubling down on the petty hostility, huh? Nice!

When in Rome.

But I love how you can paint an entire picture of someone based one innocuous thing they did at age 16.

Please show us how us how much better of a person you are by posting more pictures of your cars.

back in the day, my company had some parking spaces reserved for department heads (and above). One guy would always get in early and be able to park in the first non-reserved spot in the row. He started to crowd the line marking the reserved spaces. Day after day he would park on the line, and then just a little beyond the line, and then a little more...

Sorry, but I never did hear how it turned out... right about that time, the company did away with all the reserved spaces.... except for the government customer.

The really strange thing to me is seeing people spend 5 minutes waiting/looking for a "good" spot to save 2 minutes of walking.

The really strange thing to me is seeing people spend 5 minutes waiting/looking for a "good" spot to save 2 minutes of walking.

I used to belong to a workout facility that had a two deck parking garage. It was funny to see cars circling the lower level like sharks waiting for a space to open up when there were always lots of spaces on the upper level. Funny because all this effort to avoid going up/down a flight of steps when you're going in TO WORK OUT!!!

I used to belong to a workout facility that had a two deck parking garage. It was funny to see cars circling the lower level like sharks waiting for a space to open up when there were always lots of spaces on the upper level. Funny because all this effort to avoid going up/down a flight of steps when you're going in TO WORK OUT!!!

Similar concept but I used to be a member of a gym in NYC that was on 3 levels and had an elevator. I'd see people take the elevator to the 3rd floor and then literally get on a stairmaster.. Blew my mind!

So there’s a reserve spots for veterans, reserve spots for the handicapped or the people who think they’re handicapped.
I want to know why the "employee of the month" parking spot at sam's club is always empty? Is the workforce falling short?

Most of these specialty reserved spots are near the front door. There are plenty of other spaces available in the parking lot. I am overweight. I can use the exercise so it does not bother me to park the extra few feet away and walk even with my bad knees and hips. So I do not see what the issue is. I’m an old white guy who is frequently grumpy and I don’t understand the thread title. I have not seen any parking spaces designated for any minority or women. So why should my group get one? Pure silliness.

Back