audio gear warning system

Forrest

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Forrest
Does anyone have experience with a voice activated gear warning system? It seems like it might be a good thing to have. What have you used and how did it work for you?

Isn't that what you have when the guy the right seat starts screaming and the prop is going "Ting...Ting....Ting"?

Does anyone have experience with a voice activated gear warning system?

Voice activated, as in, you snap your fingers, then verbally out loud command "Gear down, please?"

Or the wife?

Voila!

When they don't work right, like when they blast the whole flight, they can be worse than not having it.

I have one that says "Check Landing Gear" in an annoying voice. I don't trust it to go off ever. I have my own technique to make sure I always get the gear down. It's more annoying than anything since my gear safe light sometimes doesn't come on when I start the plane.

I think it's meant more as a save your butt type thing, not a crutch. You might get and insurance discount, idk.

Does anyone have experience with a voice activated gear warning system? It seems like it might be a good thing to have. What have you used and how did it work for you?

I am not sure what you mean by "voice activated gear warning system."

Written that way, to me it would mean that the warning system would be voice activated, i.e. pilot would say "Alexis, gear warning" and then the horn would sound. That of course makes no sense and likely isn't what you meant.

Or maybe you meant that rather than a horn, the gear warning system would speak to you and say "Gear Gear Gear" or something similar. There are systems that do that and many people believe it leads to a better and quicker response than a horn blaring. I would agree with that.

Or maybe you meant that the gear actuation system itself was voice activated and that the pilot would say "Alexis, gear down" and the gear would come down. I see no real benefit to that.

So, what did you mean?

It took the OP almost 8 years to make his first post? o_O

How about a loud scraping sound and then a copy of your insurance binder falling from the ceiling in confetti mode ... :D

I am working on one that shocks you.

Our new to us 2018 XT5 Caddy bites you in the azz if you get too close to things, scared the hell out of us.
You get a red bar flashed on the windshield too for those folks with no feelings in their azz.

My buddy is picking up a new to him Arrow next week, it has a red thing sticking out the side of the fuselage he said to warn you if you get too slow without the gear down. He is going to teach me to fly it and get me a complex endorsement since he is a long time CFII. I was kidding him that thing is like training wheels.

Bitching Betty, most likely.
Most likely, but to me that isn't how he phrased it. Did you understand my post and the reason I made it? I know I am not always clear. But I am just a victim of Indiana public skools.

"Whoop whoop whoop"= Engine failure
"Peeeooow peeeooow peeeooow"= low rotor
"Deedle deedle deedle"= landing gear unsafe.

Most likely, but to me that isn't how he phrased it. Did you understand my post and the reason I made it? I know I am not always clear. But I am just a victim of Indiana public skools.

Sure, very clear.

I did enjoy the "Alexis, gear down" hypothesis. It might be interesting way of manipulating a remote-control airplane, although in a piloted aircraft the involvement of Alexis would scare the pants off me.

Aircraft Components Inc. (https://flyingsafer.com) has a couple units for this. I have their 2040-1-2P in my T210L. Replaces the factory Cessna dual warning horn and announces "Check landing gear" and "Stall" in place of the previous buzzer, also has an output that feeds in to the audio panel so you can hear them better. The 2040-1-1 series is also nice, they have 8 additional warnings and triggers that can be ordered as part of the unit above and beyond the landing gear/stall. They also have their 2037 system, which will sense the ground at 150 and below and offer the same warnings if it detects the gear is not down.

Aircraft Components Inc. (https://flyingsafer.com) has a couple units for this. I have their 2040-1-2P in my T210L. Replaces the factory Cessna dual warning horn and announces "Check landing gear" and "Stall" in place of the previous buzzer, also has an output that feeds in to the audio panel so you can hear them better.

Reminds me of my autopilot (Avidyne DFC-90). It has a chip for voice annunciation for “caution underspeed”, and it also synthesizes a beep for autopilot disconnect, with a sound through the headset. The problem is that the chip failed, so I had to send the whole autopilot to the factory for repair. It had to be fixed because the lack of a simple disconnect beep was a safety problem, for recognizing that I suddenly must fly manually. I wished that they had used something simpler, just a simple mechanical beep or buzz, instead of the fancier chip.

Back