Rotary Transition Program

Charles David

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Whiskey68
Hello

I am going to helicopter flight school with the military next year and my ultimate goal is to become a commercial pilot as soon as possible.

Has anyone had any experience with the RTP and if so how did you find it?

Do you have any other tips on how to become a commercial pilot asap?

Thank you

Hello

I am going to helicopter flight school with the military next year and my ultimate goal is to become a commercial pilot as soon as possible.

Has anyone had any experience with the RTP and if so how did you find it?

Do you have any other tips on how to become a commercial pilot asap?

Thank you
https://www.rtag.org/

https://www.facebook.com/rtagnation/

Great organization. You will find all your answers in the group. I’m not military but I am dual rated. At a previous job I was an instructor for a 121 airline and I caught a lot of the rotor transition guys if they were getting extra sims because I was a rotard and we could speak the same language. The RTAG guys were a great resource to my students. Can’t recommend them enough.

Be sure to take the written offered at Rucker, and you’ll walk out of there with your Commercial Rotary Wing. Also, see the attached PDF outlining the requirements to transition from RW to FW.

Attachments

• military helo to civilian.pdf
    181.4 KB · Views: 5
Be mindful of stuff to do and get in your logbook AS you go through. I haven’t looked specifically at that, but it appears as though if you have a measly 10 hours, when you do the mil comp, then you can get that too... look carefully, I’m not totally up to speed here. When I did mine, I got both single and multi since I had both in my logbook, T2s and A4s.

You might be able to save a lot by hoodwinking something here or there, or a lot less on the side on your dime now, rather than later.

Unfortunately Army does not give you any fixed wing time, that hurts.

As you try to decipher FARs, experience you get in a helo applies if you need it in a AIRCRAFT, but not if required in an AIRPLANE.

Also, you will get a commercial instrument helo I believe. No knowledge test required to add commercial single engine land, but IS required for PRIVATE single engine land... kinda weird but how it appears to read.

Probably best to go for single engine, then do multi add on, as that requires the least amount of twin rental...

I’ve heard NOTHING but great things about RTAG.

Well, get high enough on the OML and you can get FW out of Rucker. No need for RTAG in that case. Former crew chief I worked with in the Army is flying C-12s right now.

But, odds are you’ll get RW so make sure you network and stay up to date with the most current info on RTAG webpage. ;)

Back