Downtown St Louis from the east: ALN or CPS?

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
Hi all,
My SO and I are thinking of making a trip from Michigan to St Louis this coming weekend (Nashville was the plan, but the hotels multiplied their usual rates x10 for the spring break crowd). We've never been before, and we are thinking of staying right downtown.
Which airport would be better? ALN or CPS? CPS definitely looks closer to downtown. Hows the neighborhood? (How's downtown for that matter?)
Thanks!

CPS isn't in a great neighborhood, but its quick to downtown and after you cross the river everything seems safe again. I always used CPS when I went in. Also, if you don't want to deal with the FBO, call the airport manager they have (had) transient parking where you could get through the fence without FBO fees. Although for the weekend it wasn't bad $$ wise.

CPS isn't in a great neighborhood, but its quick to downtown and after you cross the river everything seems safe again. I always used CPS when I went in. Also, if you don't want to deal with the FBO, call the airport manager they have (had) transient parking where you could get through the fence without FBO fees. Although for the weekend it wasn't bad $$ wise.
Thanks Ed, good info!

Neither have great overnight options near the airport. Downtown has more options in Saint Louis. Alton has options too. Both are a cab ride away. West of Saint Louis is Spirit (ksus). Lots of nearby hotels and restaurants.

Another nearby option is Litchfield which is just north of Alton. The hotels are still a short cab ride. Grab breakfast at Jublets on the way to the FBO. Gas tends to be cheaper there too.

KCPS is easy. Rental car or Uber to downtown St. Louis. I've done both quite a few times to visit family or attend Cardinals-Cubs games. Your plane will be safe, you won't have a problem. KSUS is closer to the neighborhoods where the wealthier people live, so that's fine if you're visiting them, but otherwise there's no disadvantage to landing at KCPS and a short ride to downtown.

If you're interested in pre-Civil-War history, visit the Dred Scott exhibits at the old courthouse (near the arch).

KCPS is easy. Rental car or Uber to downtown St. Louis. I've done both quite a few times to visit family or attend Cardinals-Cubs games. Your plane will be safe, you won't have a problem. KSUS is closer to the neighborhoods where the wealthier people live, so that's fine if you're visiting them, but otherwise there's no disadvantage to landing at KCPS and a short ride to downtown.

If you're interested in pre-Civil-War history, visit the Dred Scott exhibits at the old courthouse (near the arch).
Cool...we have fold up electric scooters too...should we bring them? We could Uber with them folded to our downtown hotel, then ride them, or should we just leave them at home?

Note that there is not a lot to do after 5pm downtown. City Museum is amazing even without kids, and there are a few ok bars. I'd suggest staying closer to the central west end or Clayton (the real st louis downtown). Lots of nice restaurants and nightlife there, and much less street racing and other unsavory activities.

I haven't been there in years, and never by GA. But the Arch is really impressive. Even from the ground. But you do want to take the tram ride to the top. And take time for the museum at the base.

I haven't been there in years, and never by GA. But the Arch is really impressive. Even from the ground. But you do want to take the tram ride to the top. And take time for the museum at the base.
I haven't been up in years, but I can assure you that the view from the arch pales in comparison with what you see from an airplane. Unless you enjoy being packed into a tiny rotating elevator with strangers. Tell approach you want to fly along the river to see the arch... you can get as close as you feel comfortable.

CPS
Tell approach you want to fly along the river to see the arch... you can get as close as you feel comfortable.
Resist the urge to have a transponder malfunction and fly through it. The FAA's been downright ornery 'bout that lately.

CPS - It's right there. I grew up there, and return there at least annually for family visits. ALN is too far to be helpful for most.

Leave the scooters at home. If you take them with you, it'd likely be a one-way trip for them.

Great hotels in downtown STL, super-easy Uber ride, or arrange a rental car with Enterprise.

Yes, the Illinois side is rough, but close your eyes while you drive to the river. I've worked in that area a lot, and while it looks bad, you're not likely to have real issues with people.

If you arrange for hangar storage, you can ask for a fuel discount in return for your additional patronage, which may make the hangar "FREE".

CPS - It's right there. I grew up there, and return there at least annually for family visits. ALN is too far to be helpful for most.

Leave the scooters at home. If you take them with you, it'd likely be a one-way trip for them.

Great hotels in downtown STL, super-easy Uber ride, or arrange a rental car with Enterprise.

Yes, the Illinois side is rough, but close your eyes while you drive to the river. I've worked in that area a lot, and while it looks bad, you're not likely to have real issues with people.

If you arrange for hangar storage, you can ask for a fuel discount in return for your additional patronage, which may make the hangar "FREE".
Is it worth riding the metrolink into downtown, or just Uber all the way in? I've been thinking about taking my boy to MonsterJam at America's Center (insert redneck joke here).

Is it worth riding the metrolink into downtown, or just Uber all the way in? I've been thinking about taking my boy to MonsterJam at America's Center (insert redneck joke here).
Metrolink from the nearest station to CPS to the dome takes you a whopping 1.3 miles. Stay in the Uber!

Metrolink from the nearest station to CPS to the dome takes you a whopping 1.3 miles. Stay in the Uber!
We used to drive (like a peasant) down to baseball games, and do the park & ride thing across the river, but it's been years. I suppose the bigger benefit of that was the parking though moreso than the traffic.

I've been thinking about taking my boy to MonsterJam at America's Center (insert redneck joke here).
Wait for the brakeless motorcycle racing on ice... My sons loved that when they were younger. :)

Back