Career Change. Do I have a chance?

Andrew Smith

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Drewsmi
Hey all. First post here and I need some advice. I got my private at 18 and intended to become an airline pilot after college. Somewhere along the way I decided to become a chef, which I’ve done for the last 12 years. Now I want to fulfill my flight career and am curious if I will get hired. I’m 38 and I know seniority is crucial (my dad flew for Continental for 30 years) but I don’t care if I retire flying RJs, I just want to fly. Bad news, I got a dwi in 2010 and can’t get it expunged. Is this going to sink my chances? I’ll do anything and everything for the chance but before I drop major money to get atp etc, do I have a shot? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Expungement is irrelevant. It must be disclosed on medical application. Whether it gets expunged or not.

What was your BAC? It will matter. Do you still drink?

One and only one event 12 years ago is probably not a show-stopper as far as a medical is concerned, but airline hiring may be another story.

You don’t mention if you have a current medical or not. If you pop over to the medical forum you’ll find dozens of folks asking questions about past DUI. I would contact @bbchien who has helped hundreds of pilots with a similar question.

If you can get a medical you’re generally employable. Legacy airlines hire pilots in the HIMS program so the drunk driving thing will have to be dealt with but will not close the door on a career.

Whether or not you have time requires knowledge about the future no one has available. If the economy stays somewhat on the rails and international flying comes back to stay like most airlines are planning for this summer then the airlines will be ok most likely. the next ten years will have lots of hiring even if there is no industry growth because of retirements.
If it’s what you want to do then go for it but know there are no guarantees.

Hey all. First post here and I need some advice. I got my private at 18 and intended to become an airline pilot after college. Somewhere along the way I decided to become a chef, which I’ve done for the last 12 years. Now I want to fulfill my flight career and am curious if I will get hired. I’m 38 and I know seniority is crucial (my dad flew for Continental for 30 years) but I don’t care if I retire flying RJs, I just want to fly. Bad news, I got a dwi in 2010 and can’t get it expunged. Is this going to sink my chances? I’ll do anything and everything for the chance but before I drop major money to get atp etc, do I have a shot? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Even if you could get it expunged, you would still need to report the "arrest" pursuant to 8500-8 18(v). Notwithstanding the reporting requirement, you can ABSOLUTELY still fly. That being said, please consult with an aviation attorney prior to visiting an AME and prior to submitting documents. It is far easier from our perspective to be proactive rather than reactive. For example, you can front load documents/evaluations to evidence abuse vs dependence, etc. Long answer short - you're fine.

Go for it. You may never get to the airline of your choice. But today there are other avenues to a flying career. It may not be the left seat of a major airline, but could be pretty rewarding.
That wasn't the case a few years ago. If your Dad was at CAL, he saw some pretty turbulent times. In simple terms, IT SUCKED! for a long time. Sometimes the other side of the grass seems better, but it may not be. Your DUI might be big for a part 121 carrier, but of no consequence to a good corporate career. Corporate career is just an example. Get after it, your not getting any younger. Where do you wan tto be in 3 or 5 yrs. But don't discount other flying careers oportunities.

I got my first flying job at 38.

A friend of mine was hired at a regional at 62. After the mandatory retirement on the 65th birthday, he went back to corporate flying.

To his question about the DWI, is any kind of disciplinary action going to exclude you from a major airline?

To his question about the DWI, is any kind of disciplinary action going to exclude you from a major airline?

There are pilots in the airlines that have all sorts of things on their records. Pretty much misdemeanors and violations. DUI, Petit larceny, disorderly conduct, vandalism just to name a few of the things I have seen.

That’s good to know, thanks. I’ve seen quite a few pilots in the military get paperwork for some extremely minor things (not crimes, but military violations) that were blown out of proportion. It’s good future careers aren’t completely derailed.

That’s good to know, thanks. I’ve seen quite a few pilots in the military get paperwork for some extremely minor things (not crimes, but military violations) that were blown out of proportion. It’s good future careers aren’t completely derailed.

Non-judicial punishment is internal discipline. Unless the NJP was for a reportable event (alcohol/drug-related, for example), Whatever is on the A15 is between you and the service.

Type of separation/discharge plays a much more important role. A BCD or Dismissal is the equivalent of a for cause termination/ineligible for re-hire at a minimum and is a disqualifying factor for many employers.

Back