No Excuse

my dad wears high white calf socks with loafers, and that far outweighs his lack of computer skills.

socks-and-loafers-trend-292879-1619195462561-main.700x0c.jpg
Certainly this is allowed (with any color of socks) beyond the age of 65.

My father died in 2002. Granted, that was 20 years ago, but….
Until the day he died he would get out of his chair to manually change the TV channel.
I don’t even think they still make TVs with manual dials.

Last edited:
I'm an old fart, but I feel like I'm often showing others of a similar age how to use their technology. I think some people are intimidated by it and/or are unwilling to experiment.

Computer literacy is a requirement in the modern era and integral to functioning in today's society.
I don't think its as much a "requirement" as it is some people have no need for a computer. Hence don't spend the time learning one. Now if someone was just being lazy and having others do their work then thats a different story. But there are a number of people out there that I've run across that don't own a computer or own only a standalone ancient computer. None of them seem to be missing out on anything and always get a kick when the power goes out or the wifi drops off and everyone around them cease to function.

I know many millennials can't write a check or know the three credit bureau. Many people are too dependent on technology. But I believe technology should be more of a convenience than a requirement.

Seems apropos:

tech_support_cheat_sheet.png
Wonderful with one omission. It lacks the requisite random cursing - bonus points if referencing Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or Sergey Brin.

Some people inherently have problem solving skills, some people don't. I have some staff like that. Something breaks, who do we call for that? Why not take 5 minutes and do a little troubleshooting first?

Troubleshooting is a great approach ... assuming you have the cognitive ability to understand what you are looking at. I've worked in corporate, government, and private sector places and observed people that just did not have the ability to "get it" no matter how much they desired to do so or the extent of the training given.

Someone else pointed out that older pilots generally take more time to learn the skills required to fly an aircraft. As we get older we slow down. Just the way it is.

But I do understand lazy ... I've been that way me own self! :D

When I supported a production line, it was amazing the amount of calls I would get for the smallest things "So you've tried nothing and you're already calling me" When I was on vacation it was amazing how many problems got solved at lower-levels.
:yeahthat:
Same here. I get a call, "the machine's not working." "What's wrong with it?" "Dunno, it's not feeding parts." I get out there, a part of the mechanism came loose and is flapping back and forth... and they're still pushing the reset button and trying to start it up again and expecting it to magically start working again.

Some people simply have NO problem solving ability at all. Me, I can look at a machine I've never seen and usually figure out very quickly what it's supposed to do even if it's not doing it... but I guess that's why (not because!) I'm an an engineer and they're pushing buttons on a machine on the third shift.

Of course, the ones who think they know what needs to be done to fix the machine are the ones who really cause trouble.

Of course, the ones who think they know what needs to be done to fix the machine are the ones who really cause trouble.

I've seen those folks that start their car the same way for years and then when it won't start they absolutely kill the battery cranking the engine over hoping that whatever the reason was for it not starting as it always did before has fixed itself ...

I had a friend in high school whose parents didn't own a television.

How did I know this? Because they would tell. everyone. within. earshot. that. they. don't. own. a. television.

I feel like "I don't own a computer" or "I don't own a smartphone" is in that same cut-off-nose-spite-face category.

"I have a computer and don't know how to use it" though? That's not the same thing. Like OP, I think that's just lame. Like seeing someone drive a manual transmission badly. Seek help, it isn't far away.

"Git gud, noobs"

right on dude...because everyone is wired the same way and are equally capable of learning anything. Musicians, artists, technical skills,... all the same.

:rolleyes:

Which is why I am very selective in who I decide to mock for not knowing how to do something. They might have a skill set or knowledge that I lack and I might need their help some day.

But mocking for sport is a lot of fun depending on the target.

My 83 year old grandfather was on Facebook. I'm still not.

This says a lot about your character .
To an intelligent person, my post was obviously mostly a joke. I say mostly as there are some folks who deserve mocking. The targets usually have earned being a target for various reasons. A recent prime example is the poster who joined POA just to cry about how EAA does things and how they mistreated him. And now there is you.

Now for some reason, it appears that I have been a target of yours as a good percentage of you posts have been aimed at me, starting with the thread where I mentioned “hookers and blow”, a phrase used on POA countless times by quite a few people. Yet for some reason you wanted to act like a self righteous jerk and attack me personally for it. That spoke more of your lack of character than mine.

And then you seemed to want to pick a fight with me on the China Eastern crash thread. Not sure what your thoughts there were. I guarantee you that I can speak more intelligently on that subject and most other aviation topics than you can.

And now this thread.

But I guess we are all free to respond to each other’s posts as we see fit.

Fair enough. Two can play at this game.

I know many millennials can't write a check or know the three credit bureau. Many people are too dependent on technology. But I believe technology should be more of a convenience than a requirement.
Write a check, balance a checkbook, drive a manual, write cursive, change a tire, start a fire, and I’m missing a lot.

My father died in 2002. Granted, that was 20 years ago, but….
Until the day he died he would get out of his chair to manually change the TV channel.
I don’t even think they still make TVs with manual dials.

My parents got their first color Tv in 1983. Only because the round screen 1953 Zenith FINALLY quit working.

The new Tv had a remote control. My parents kept the remote on top of the Tv so it would not get lost. So to change the channel a person had to get up, walk to the Tv and change the channel.

My mom had a calculator the resembled the Tv remote. She kept it on the kitchen table for when she needed it. One day I swapped the Tv remote for my moms calculator. My dad was watching the news while reading his newspaper, when my mom sat down to use the calculator to balance her checkbook. She was punching the numbers saying, ''I don't think this calculator works...'' and pop was staring at the Tv like it was possessed....

I don't know anyone who had a home computer in 1982.

*So I'm still without my plane for probably another month, so I need to start fights on the internet to feel better about myself.*

There is no excuse for "not being a computer person" in this day and age.

No excuse needed. I simply refuse.

Last edited:
Sounds about the time my family got our TRS-80 from Radio Shack. Press play on the cassette for your program to run.

Had this discussion with a fellow millennial today. I can write checks. He couldn't. Now, tying a tie I gotta hit up the Google machine.

The new Tv had a remote control. My parents kept the remote on top of the Tv so it would not get lost. So to change the channel a person had to get up, walk to the Tv and change the channel.
That person was me...in 1995

Write a check, balance a checkbook, drive a manual, write cursive, change a tire, start a fire, and I’m missing a lot.
My sister had a boyfriend who didn't know how to pop the hood on his car. Then couldn't find the dipstick to check the oil. She had to show him. Learning how after I made her watch when I changed her oil once. "He's an indoor boy..."

I did. I already had my 2nd one.

But, I can see where you might simply say that you don't know me.

I did. I already had my 2nd one.

But, I can see where you might simply say that you don't know me.
Let me rephrase to say it thusly:

In 1982, I didn't know anyone who had a home computer. :)

I was going to mention that too. Computers have been more of a common thing in the home and workplace for 30ish years, not 40.

I remember going to the store with my dad to get the first family computer in October 1982. We were the only family I know of who had a home computer at that time and for a long time afterward.

A lot easier said that done and some of you are forgetting that the older generation wasn’t born into a tech age, unlike us born in the early 90’s and beyond. Don’t be critical, the young hubs will be cracking on us in 40 years for not knowing whatever new things come about

I knew quite a few people in ‘82 who did, but I was kind of in that “business”, more or less. Many of my more well off coworkers and bosses had Apples and various CP/M machines. I had two kids, a third on the way, and a Timex-Sinclair 1000, but not until I was able to pick one up cheaply in ‘83, I think it was.

Let me rephrase to say it thusly:

In 1982, I didn't know anyone who had a home computer. :)

ah.... obviously a very different thing.

Relatively few people had a home computer back in 1982. I'd be hard-pressed to remember any acquaintances/friends/enemies that had one, except the guys at the Healthkit store.

Hmmm... to keep this topical... this sounds like a senior international crew on a Airbus. That flowchart is the whole crew trying to execute an EICAS message procedure.

VERY common to hear “what’s it doing now?”

VERY common to just turn it off, wait a few and turn it back on again...

Scary but true!!

I am 51 years old.
I was a total nerd in school, math league, physics league, college credit math and physics classes in high school, I went to computer camp, I learned to program in junior high, I was in the special class for "gifted and talented", all that crap.
Now I want nothing to do with computers, I have zero interest in any of it other than perusing the internet.

*So I'm still without my plane for probably another month, so I need to start fights on the internet to feel better about myself.*

There is no excuse for "not being a computer person" in this day and age. Computers have been a main part of the human existence for the last forty years. FORTY. Computer literacy is a requirement in the modern era and integral to functioning in today's society. I'm not saying you need to know how to program a computer from the ground up, but the crap I see on Facebook like people taking pictures of their screens and then uploading it to share something is appalling, not to mention the amount of people that fall prey to blatant scams is sad and preventable.

When *older* people ask me for computer help, it's really just that they refuse to be tenacious. I'm not doing anything they can't do, I don't know much more about solving their problem at the beginning of it than them, but I'm persistent, and guess at places to click to figure out what I want. If it's not the right place, then I go back and try again. Just like ANY other type of problem solving, computers aren't special. Throwing your hands up and saying "bah computers arent my thing" is the easy way out and you'll never advance skills in any meaningful way by giving up.

So anytime someone says they aren't a "computer person" I see them as someone that's lazy and has been unwilling (see, WILLFULLY ignorant) to learn for decades.

In some circles, being able to read email and surf the web might qualify someone as a "computer person". To me, until you can install and maintain your own server and network, such as Linux, you are not a "computer person". In some other circles, even I may not qualify as a "computer person". So it is all relative and subjective. As a kid I gravitated towards technology, and I am lucky that my personal interests also became a global economic engine. If I was around during the renaissance period, I might be an outcast for not having an appreciation for art, architecture and philosophy, and be considered as willfully ignorant.

Last edited:
In the '80s and '90s, most electronic devices used the same or similar FPGAs to control the display and menus.

After a few button presses, I was able to figure out the common functions of something like setting the clock or setting a timer.

Whether it was a wristwatch or a VCR, people were amazed at how I could "program" the device.

There was no magic in doing this, just a basic understanding of how manufacturers used common, cheap parts to get the job done.

For a period of time I sold auto parts for a living. I was amazed at the number people that bought a car and had no idea what engine was in it. Some people just don't care.

In the eighties I remember using MIDI in the music studio and running some basic programs until Cakewalk 1.0 came along and saved the day. Began with a massive Commodore 64 and dual disk drives. Man ... what chew talkin' 'bout! :D

In some circles, being able to read email and surf the web might qualify someone as a "computer person". To me, until you can install and maintain your own server and network, such as Linux, you are not a "computer person". I some other circles, even I may not qualify as a "computer person". So it is all relative and subjective. As a kid I gravitated towards technology, and I am lucky that my personal interests also became a global economic engine. If I was around during the renaissance period, I might be an outcast for not having an appreciation for art, architecture and philosophy, and be considered as willfully ignorant.
The developers I work with probably think I'm a helpless old fart who knows nothing about computers because I know nothing about writing code in the Java derived dev environment of the month. On the other hand, most of them are utterly clueless about networking, and the concepts of fault tolerance, resiliency, process automation, and so on seem incomprehensible to them. We all have our talents.

There's no excuse anyone should suck at sports.
[Insert nonsensical rant here]

People need at least some familiarity with computers or smartphones to be posting on this site... I know someone my age (mid-60s) who doesn't have a cellphone, and when I send her an email, which is very infrequently, her husband or son need to tell her that she got it.

Back