Question for X-Plane 10/11 users

Dry Creek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dry Creek
For those of you running X-Plane 10 or 11, could you do me a huge favor?
I would like for you to look at how KSEP is represented in the scenery for those programs. I have an aging MSFS-X SE I use for the most part, but I've also downloaded and started using FlightGear Flight Simulator 2020. In each of those KSEP still has the crossing runway that's been deactivated for 25 years, and gone for at least 20. Does XP 10 or 11 accurately depict it as it currently exists? If so, I may switch over.

Thanks!

In X-Plane 11, KSEP is depicted with just one runway -- 14/32.

Ah! Thanks.

A couple more upgrades (kludges?) and my "potato" may be able to run that.

My son says that's what the hard-core gamers call my budget minded HP slim desktop. A potato.

I upgraded to a 1TB SSD, maxed out RAM (16GB), and installed a barely passable video card I received today (nVidea GeForce 1030, 2B GDDR5). I know, a 1050Ti would be better, but right now I'm limited by a 180 watt PSU. Not many upgrade options for a smaller PSU, but I'm on the prowl.

Next week I get my i7-7700 to replace the i3-7100 currently installed. Maybe X-Plane 11 will run at 720p with my "modified potato". For my simulator monitor I am using an older 720p 32" ProScan LED I picked up for $8 at the thrift store. I really do need to pull one of the elevator springs out of the Saitek/Logitech flight yoke. That centering notch is bugging me, and I've only got three hours in my logbook right now - I want it to be more like the trainer I am flying. I need all of the inexpensive practice time I can get.

Just for giggles, I'm downloading the XP-11 demo version as we speak. Let's see what happens on a two-core CPU (but, with Hyper-threading!) and entry-level GPU.

I think you'll like it. Keep in mind that the demo version will limit your flights to just one region -- Seattle, as I recall. Also, if you decide to spring for a new computer, a new version of X-Plane -- X-Plane 12 -- will be out one of these days. I haven't seen a release date yet. I mention it, though, because the speculation I have read is that XP-12 will have really fine graphics, and that means it'll require a more muscular computer. Have fun . . .

I think you'll like it. Keep in mind that the demo version will limit your flights to just one region -- Seattle, as I recall. Also, if you decide to spring for a new computer, a new version of X-Plane -- X-Plane 12 -- will be out one of these days. I haven't seen a release date yet. I mention it, though, because the speculation I have read is that XP-12 will have really fine graphics, and that means it'll require a more muscular computer. Have fun . . .
I was aware of that, I just wanted to give it a re-try. I had downloaded it before any mods to the "potato", and when I tried to start it kindly laughed and suggested I keep plodding along on MSFS-X. I was just wondering if a different GPU, RAM and faster disc access would change it's mind. I know the CPU should hep a bit. Having four real cores and four more virtual ones should count for something. I really need to find a bigegr PSU and upgrade to the 1050Ti - which draws 75 watts versus the 35 of the 1030.

My son is able to run MSFS 2020 on his computer, at mostly high settings. It's a lovely collection of eye-candy. He suggested that he could share it through his Steam library. I found a couple of sites on YouTube where they were able to get passable frame rates (~35) with low settings and 720p resolution. I may give it a try next weekend.

If you haven't done so, make sure Vulkan is enabled in the settings. It made a world of difference on my computer.

If you haven't done so, make sure Vulkan is enabled in the settings. It made a world of difference on my computer.
How do I do that? I think that I remember seeing it as being enabled when nVidea was loading all of the drivers and control center.

And, XP-11 is up and running on the semi-potato! Graphics are only slightly better than FSX running in ultra, but everything else is running smoothly. No video stuttering or hangs. yet.

Thanks for posting that setup video.

I am going to experiment with the setting tomorrow. I actually got real air time today. Quite bumpy, but I did get to perform my first landing. Yep, floated a bit, but it's a long runway. Woo hoo, four hours in my logbook now!

Edit - OK, I jumped on in checked Vulkan.
Wow, what a difference. My semi-potato is running at medium settings and about 33 fps.

Can't wait to replace the CPU and see how thing improve.

Last edited:
Dang. Now I'm going to have to buy XP-11. I won't go the download route though, ordering a CD. I will start shopping around this week, but I bet MyPilotSore or Sporty's will be the best place to start.

Dang. Now I'm going to have to buy XP-11. I won't go the download route though, ordering a CD. I will start shopping around this week, but I bet MyPilotSore or Sporty's will be the best place to start.

Might wait, XP 12 is due out shortly.

when I bought 10, it came with a free upgrade to 11 since it was close to release.
I don't see that offered yet, but you can always contact the company and ask.

Also here is a link to what looks like their latest blog. Not too much concrete info yet.
https://www.x-plane.com/2021/09/x-plane-keynote-today-see-the-next-generation/
Interesting features coming in 12 though....even ATC integration sounds like.

Might wait, XP 12 is due out shortly.
Too late, I already pulled the trigger on Sunday. It was $59 through MyPilotStore.com, so that's not horrible.
I received my i7-7700 yesterday ($203 after taxes) and the computer seems to have accepted the transplant. The demo version is still running at 35 or better fps even after boosting the settings on the right hand side. Still limited by my GPU, but the "potato" is more like a "sweet potato".

Back