Does getting your flight training through a University or Academy look better on your resume?

seth19man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kali
Hello everyone. I am currently going to college for Astrophysics right now and have decided that I would like to fly as a Major Cargo Pilot. This is a very competitive industry and I would like to get my flight training in the most appealing way possible for my resume and future employees. Disregarding cost, does getting a degree in aviation and getting my training through a university look better on a resume than just going to a local FI? Or maybe going to an aviation academy is a better alternative? IDK! You guys tell me. Please only answer if you have first-hand experience or know someone who has.

The only real advantage is you qualify for an ATP with lower total time which usually translates to less time instructing or working towards the full 1500 hours. My degree is in economics and I’m at a legacy airline. They didn’t even ask me about my degree during the interview. I just had to check the degree box.

In my new-hire class, about 1/3 came from aviation universities, including my roommate (yes, they paired us up in housing unless we wanted to pay to get a room to ourselves - only one girl did that). Maybe one person attended a place like ATP. The rest of us were just plain, ordinary people. I don't think it matters nor whether it ever did.

Like @jordane93 said, one advantage is that a qualified program will allow you to get an ATP (needed for a -121 job which includes cargo like UPS, FEDEX) is 1250 vs 1500. Another possible advantage is such programs have classes that can give you a leg up on the training. For me, I struggled with the concept of FMS and other flight automation because I never flew anything that had even a working autopilot. Some of these people had classes in FMS, turbines, and even CRJ systems. So, I was clueless when the cirriculum brought up terms like "green needles", discontinuities, flight control panel, etc. But most of us made it in the end so it was all good. For me, thank goodness for those people because they were the ones I went to for help.

If you enjoy astrophysics, just stay there. One of the great assets of the part 121 community is the diversity of backgrounds and education. People studied what they wanted and all ended up in the same place.

If your thought is that you can bypass the regionals for UPS or FEDEX, even in today's environment, I doubt you can do that. If you have a degree, the hours, and experience and not a screw-up, you should be able to get into a regional.

The advantage I see is that students can finance flight training through universities much easier than the typical local flight school/FBO. Whether or not incurring debt to learn to fly is a separate matter.

No one has ever looked at my resume and went ''Wow, you went to Comair Academy..??'' Or ''Oh, you went to that high dollar rich kid flight school''...

Heh. The ~250 hours to commercial is such a small slice of pie it seems meaningless where you get it from except for networking and whether or not you stack up failed check rides. The other 500-1250 hrs to meet mins is where experience cam be a differentiator depending on the hiring market.

If you happen to have gone to the same school as the interviewer, it probably helps.

If you happen to have gone to the same school as the interviewer, it probably helps.
Unless you were his adversary. On that note, always be respectful and courteous to everybody in school, while training, or anytime around an airplane or airport. As big as the aviation industry seems, it's still a small community. You might be interviewed by, or have to sit next to the guy you ****ed off in your earlier years.

In my new-hire class, about 1/3 came from aviation universities, including my roommate (yes, they paired us up in housing unless we wanted to pay to get a room to ourselves - only one girl did that). Maybe one person attended a place like ATP. The rest of us were just plain, ordinary people. I don't think it matters nor whether it ever did.

Like @jordane93 said, one advantage is that a qualified program will allow you to get an ATP (needed for a -121 job which includes cargo like UPS, FEDEX) is 1250 vs 1500. Another possible advantage is such programs have classes that can give you a leg up on the training. For me, I struggled with the concept of FMS and other flight automation because I never flew anything that had even a working autopilot. Some of these people had classes in FMS, turbines, and even CRJ systems. So, I was clueless when the cirriculum brought up terms like "green needles", discontinuities, flight control panel, etc. But most of us made it in the end so it was all good. For me, thank goodness for those people because they were the ones I went to for help.

If you enjoy astrophysics, just stay there. One of the great assets of the part 121 community is the diversity of backgrounds and education. People studied what they wanted and all ended up in the same place.

If your thought is that you can bypass the regionals for UPS or FEDEX, even in today's environment, I doubt you can do that. If you have a degree, the hours, and experience and not a screw-up, you should be able to get into a regional.
I know it’s nearly impossible to go directly to a major cargo after I get my 1500 and ATP. I expect to suck it up and get paid like **** for at least 5-10 years before I can make my way up to FedEx or UPS.

I’ve considered switching my degree because physics is really hard stuff and I probably will only graduate with a 2.5-3.0 GPA and I’m not exactly sure if a GPA that low will affect my chances of being hired by a major but at the same time, I feel like my degree will make me stand out more. What do you think is more important to majors, a degree title that stands out or having a good GPA?

I’ve considered switching my degree because physics is really hard stuff and I probably will only graduate with a 2.5-3.0 GPA and I’m not exactly sure if a GPA that low will affect my chances of being hired by a major but at the same time, I feel like my degree will make me stand out more. What do you think is more important to majors, a degree title that stands out or having a good GPA?

Yeah, again, in my limited experience no one ever looked at grades at an interview. Which was probably a good thing for me.... 2.0 and go werked fer me.!!

But they might check your permanent record. YOUR PERMANENT RECORD.!! I know a guy who knows a guy whose uncle was about to be made supreme court justice until they found out how much he teased his little sister when he was a kid...

I know it’s nearly impossible to go directly to a major cargo after I get my 1500 and ATP. I expect to suck it up and get paid like **** for at least 5-10 years before I can make my way up to FedEx or UPS.

In this hiring environment, you’ll probably only spend 2 years at a regional and move on to your career destination.

depends on the current hiring climate, in today’s - snds like, do have the required hours?

In this hiring environment, you’ll probably only spend 2 years at a regional and move on to your career destination.
depends on the current hiring climate, in today’s - snds like, do have the required hours?
Still think it’ll still be that way by the time I graduate college in 2-3 years?

Still think it’ll still be that way by the time I graduate college in 2-3 years?
Yes. Take a look at the mandatory retirements from the majors/legacies. Regarding GPA, during my Delta interview, they asked why I picked economics instead of a flying degree, why did I fail calculus the first time, and few other questions. Nothing too crazy.

This may sound harsh, but you are really barking up the wrong tree. One of the most important things looked for in a pilot is confidence and self-awareness (without being cocky). Someone who is comfortable with oneself. Someone who can be trusted. Someone people want to fly with. I don't know your background or how old you are, but your predilection on the proper major and subsequent GPA makes me wonder how comfortable you are with yourself. As everyone here has said, your major and GPA does NOT matter - but you continue to put out the question. You may want to take some time to think things out and decide who you are. You need to get comfortable with who you are....not try to become someone you think you need to be to impress an interviewer.

I don't know why you think you cannot get a good grade studying astrophysics. Are you putting in the work and the time? Here's another thing: I studied electrical engineering at UC Berkeley, but airline pilot training was the single hardest thing I've ever done in my life...a real challenge. Lot's of us shared notes afterwards and we all agreed how hard it was. So, if you're struggling with undergrad stuff, you may want to reform your study habits instead of switching to what you think may be an easier major. Even if you made it into pilot training, you don't want to just wash out.

Hope this made sense. Best to you.

Your degree doesn't matter, your GPA doesn't matter that much. Figure out the quickest way to get a degree and start flying. If you want to fly for a living, I would not waste the time and money on something like astrophysics. Get something that you can fall back on if you lose your medical and start flying ASAP. Right now the hiring market is red hot. It might not be in a few years, who knows. And don't pigeonhole yourself into something so specific as "cargo". Take it one step at a time.

Unless you were his adversary. On that note, always be respectful and courteous to everybody in school, while training, or anytime around an airplane or airport. As big as the aviation industry seems, it's still a small community. You might be interviewed by, or have to sit next to the guy you ****ed off in your earlier years.
Very good advice.

there is a guy that lives in Denver that will never ride my jump seat and will forever be recommended as “do not hire” where I work.

It's remarkable what a small industry it is.
Yeah. It’s all fun and games when you’re the CP at a crappy regional airline and you tow the company line to the point that it crosses the line. But then one day when you decide it’s time to move on there are lots of people that have gone before you…

I have flown with and worked for some people that I did not like but was able to have a professional relationship and part ways without burning bridges. This guy was special. In 23 years he’s the only one that was able to make the list.

there is a guy that lives in Denver that will never ride my jump seat and will forever be recommended as “do not hire” where I work.

It is amazing what our minds choose to remember. I don't remember the names of most of the good people I have flown with, but I will never forget the 1 bad one (initials DD)

Back