Annual Cost for 182 Vs 210

Koomloddi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Koomloddi
Hello,

I was in the market for a 172/Cherokee 180. Seems like the 172s in particular are quite spendy nowadays. I decided to go for a 210, as I really enjoy flying them and the performance is quite a bit better than a comparably priced 182. What is the real difference in annual costs between the 182 and 210. I realize these things vary and retractable gears add some costs. But, for well maintained aircraft, what is the difference in average annual costs?

Annual flat rates for those here:

180/182/185 - $1800

210 - $2500
T210 - $2600
P210 - $3000

Of course insurance will be higher on the 210 than it will be on the 182.

Most companies won’t even insure you in a C210 unless you have an instrument rating.

I decided to go for a 210,
I realize these things vary and retractable gears add some costs.
FYI: the annual costs will be comparable to any 200 series. However, the cost on the retracts in terms of an AP/shop that knows them and the parts to fix them can be a big difference. If looking for specific input by exact model number may want to contact Tennessee Aircraft Services for any 210 questions.

Thanks to you all for the quick response. Not as bad I had thought it would be. I am Multi/Single commercial rated with instrument so hoping insurance will be at least manageable. Any additional costs for the 210 will be offset by the higher sticker price of the 182, at least in the short term. Haven’t ruled anything out, but maintenance costs for the 210 won’t be the deciding factor in this case.

You didn’t state the year but you should be aware of differences in the hydraulic systems that may impact your shop options.

Early models employ an engine driven hydraulic pump. During maintenance a
Hydraulic “Mule” ( power supply) is needed. Not all shops will have this unit. You can make the Gear go up or down with the Hand Pump but the Mule is needed for several checks.

Later models have an electric motor driving the pump so a “ Mule” is not required.

You didn’t state the year but you should be aware of differences in the hydraulic systems that may impact your shop options.

Early models employ an engine driven hydraulic pump. During maintenance a
Hydraulic “Mule” ( power supply) is needed. Not all shops will have this unit. You can make the Gear go up or down with the Hand Pump but the Mule is needed for several checks.

Later models have an electric motor driving the pump so a “ Mule” is not required.

1963 and on, electric hydraulic pack for gear.
1964 and on, electric flap motors.
1966 and on, Turbo option available.
1967 and on, cantilevered wing (Wing Spar Corrosion AD)

Or if you're a geezer (70+). We can't remember to shut off the left turn blinker on the freeway, so they figure we'll forget the gear, too.

Can’t speak to that. I’m not yet an official Geezer. I’m just legally elderly.

I pay about $3400 annually on my T210F.

If you are worried about costs maybe this isn’t the hobby for you lol.

180/182/185 - $1800

210 - $2500
T210 - $2600
P210 - $3000

I payed the 210 price for a 182.

Any additional costs for the 210 will be offset by the higher sticker price of the 182, at least in the short term.

If you're talking about the early 60's aircraft, there is a good reason 210s of this vintage are typically selling for LESS than an a 182 of the same model year. Check the numbers yourself, but most folks don't think it's worth paying 2-3 times the maintenance and insurance just to go 15kts faster. The 70s models have more speed, room and useful load, but then they are now more than a comparable 182. The market is pretty well informed on the cost/benefit with these birds.

C.

It depends on which model. My C210d, 1964 model, has cost me less per mile than the 182 it replaced because it flies faster. 1962 and later 210s are OK but earlier models are more like prototypes. A Cessna dealer said removing the strut added about 2 knots or less to speed but you now avoid a possibly expensive AD. Another advantage of the pre 1967 C-210s is that their service ceiling is 21,000' without a turbo which can help to keep you on top of bad WX.

My annuals rarely cost more that a few hundreds because I do them with the IA. He just inspects and I fix. A mule is NOT required to inspect the gear; just use the hand pump.

Manual gear pump.jpg

You can also do an “Armstrong Compression Check” just by pulling the Prop through. I would consider a shop w/o a Mule low on the list for early 210’s.

There are “ Time Checks” of Gear -up and Gear-down relating to Accumulator function that you cannot do with the Hand Pump. Cessna had the “ Golden Rule”
Program and compensated owners for a long list of issues. Many pocketed the $$
and never addressed them. If all goes well you don’t NEED one. If you do have problems troubleshooting w/o one is difficult, at best.

One guy had so many issues with Carb ice with his 182 that he sold it and bought a nice FUEL-INJECTED 210. No more ice concerns. It was a 1976 ish N/A version. Very nice , reliable aircraft with few issues at that time.

I would consider a shop w/o a Mule low on the list for early 210’s.

Totally agree. As a practical matter, any shop that does Cessna MX will have one just to save time (and effort). There are also other special tools that Cessna sells to assist with proper gear rigging on 210s. If they don't have a mule, they probably don't have those either.

C.

180/182/185 - $1800

210 - $2500
T210 - $2600
P210 - $3000

Where is here?

my shop quotes 24 hours for 60s era 182 annual

$1,800 for 24 hours of shop time = $75/hr. Seems in the ballpark for a small GA airport.

C.

Or if you're a geezer (70+). We can't remember to shut off the left turn blinker on the freeway, so they figure we'll forget the gear, too.

Thank you sooo much for that definition of "Geezer." I am elated to know I have a few years left before it becomes official.

Back