Wristwatches

My g-shock is still running fine, but I've noticed it doesn't receive the time signal as well as it used to. Sometimes it will go a week without receiving, then one night it will catch it and update.
You can see mine didn’t sync last night. I think I live in a “terrain challenged” location and I don’t get a good signal here. There have been times I’ve traveled hundreds of miles farther away from Ft Collins and have gotten a good signal, though.

I enjoy watches but I am really rough on them. @SkyDog58 as a recovering boater I really like that jolly roger pilot watch.

Funny story. I was overseas as a contractor playing in the sandbox and picked up a few really bad fake watches. Things like a Breitling but the second hand was on backwards (or upside down) so the B was facing the wrong way, a Rolox, and a rather nice looking Tag Heuer Link Tiger Woods knockoff. So I get back and the Tag finally dies and I just throw it in a drawer. My wife not realizing that its a cheap fake decides to surprise me by taking it to the Tag Heuer store to get it repaired. Needless to say they asked her to come pick it up and that there was nothing they could do with it.

I've a fairly extensive collection of pocket watches all in the 12 size. I've got a number of different makers, some gold. Number of different movements too.

The work environment is very harsh. Climbing on and off equipment loose jewelry such a rings, and watches can cause issues. Muddy boots, slipping on a step and your ring or watch gets caught on something as you fall you will be hurt

I used to have a nice "dress" Omega, then I got a too-large Breitling, which I stupidly took off when I was working on something, and I walked away.
I'm rather small of frame, so the Omega was a more comfortable watch. At my current age, I don't wear one, I don't even check the time. Though I do look at what's new in the watch world.

I enjoy watches but I am really rough on them. @SkyDog58 as a recovering boater I really like that jolly roger pilot watch.

Funny story. I was overseas as a contractor playing in the sandbox and picked up a few really bad fake watches. Things like a Breitling but the second hand was on backwards (or upside down) so the B was facing the wrong way, a Rolox, and a rather nice looking Tag Heuer Link Tiger Woods knockoff. So I get back and the Tag finally dies and I just throw it in a drawer. My wife not realizing that its a cheap fake decides to surprise me by taking it to the Tag Heuer store to get it repaired. Needless to say they asked her to come pick it up and that there was nothing they could do with it.
DSC09563.JPG

You needed a place like this leaving Ephesus back in 2009 for your fake watches. :)

My favorite non flying watch.View attachment 105567
I have one of those watches. I bought it for my father.

Many years ago (1966), my father was involved in the local democratic party. The man who managed to secure the Democtratic nomination for governor was George Mahoney, an outright racist who ran on the "Your home is your castle" (meaning we gotta keep blacks out of the neighborhood) slogan. As much as it pained them a lot of the democratic party members through their weight behind the Republican candidate, taking out a full page advertisement in the Baltimore Sun proclaiming headed: DEMOCRATS FOR AGNEW.

upload_2022-3-21_16-38-35.png

Some cheap watch that uses a arced minute hand.
My Casio Blue Angels watch
An EAA watch I won as a door prize at the volunteer dinner.
Two Longines/Wittnauer "Futurama" arc movement watch.
A more modern arc movement watch.
A watch that has a minute and second hand, but the hours are indicated by the dial itself rotating.
Some interesting cheap multi dial watch.
An early Elgin "digital" watch.

Not pictured is a Cathode Connection Nixie tube watch and a Seiko that is a digital watch that has analog hands that can be set to display different things.

View attachment 105619

Some cheap watch that uses a arced minute hand.
An EAA watch I won as a door prize at the volunteer dinner.
Two Longines/Wittnauer "Futurama" arc movement watch.
A more modern arc movement watch.
A watch that has a minute and second hand, but the hours are indicated by the dial itself rotating.
Some interesting cheap multi dial watch.
An early Elgin "digital" watch.

Not pictured is a Cathode Connection Nixie tube watch and a Seiko that is a digital watch that has analog hands that can be set to display different things.

Is the Blue Angel watch a Casio or is it a Citizen?

I've got the same one! Although mine is a Citizen

Mine is a Citizen
^same

Smart watches are not for me, my phone distracts me enough, I can't imagine having another mini-phone on my wrist or something else that needs constant charging, updated, and attention. But everyone's different. I used to have a small collection of watches but haven't worn one in probably 10 years. I recently started getting back into them though, but I can't be trusted with nice things, I'm too rough on them! So I'll be relegated to the lower end of the market for now!

I did have a neat Japanese watch that I unfortunately destroyed (by accident), it had a very simple, if not brutalist or minimalist, look to it.
upload_2022-3-22_23-36-1.png

I have one of those watches. I bought it for my father.

Many years ago (1966), my father was involved in the local democratic party. The man who managed to secure the Democtratic nomination for governor was George Mahoney, an outright racist who ran on the "Your home is your castle" (meaning we gotta keep blacks out of the neighborhood) slogan. As much as it pained them a lot of the democratic party members through their weight behind the Republican candidate, taking out a full page advertisement in the Baltimore Sun proclaiming headed: DEMOCRATS FOR AGNEW.

That must have been a tough pill to swallow.

Got a Rolex from IBM.
MEH.
My Pulsar keeps better time.
I also only use analog, self winding or hand wound watches. You can use them as a compass and the battery never dies.

Got a Rolex from IBM.
MEH.
I also only use analog, self winding or hand wound watches. You can use them as a compass and the battery never dies.

If you'll send me the Rolex I'll keep it wound for you.

Got a Rolex from IBM.
MEH.
Of course, if you don't wear them continually, you have to leave them on a winder or keep resetting the time.

I did have a neat Japanese watch that I unfortunately destroyed (by accident), it had a very simple, if not brutalist or minimalist, look to it.
upload_2022-3-22_23-36-1-png.105652
Binary fixed point notation?

Muddy boots, slipping on a step and your ring or watch gets caught on something as you fall you will be hurt

That can happen on farms, too. Wear a ring, fall off machinery, lose finger.

Putting the watch inside a miner’s hardhat makes sense.

I have two Tag Heuers that haven’t been out of a drawer since I bought my first Apple Watch. I’m on my third and fixing to buy my fourth now.

I have two Tag Heuers that haven’t been out of a drawer since I bought my first Apple Watch. I’m on my third and fixing to buy my fourth now.

I have a couple of empty slots in my watch case if you’d like a better place to store those Tags....

Hi everyone.
It's interesting that most of what is used by what I see here, presently, is Not digital.
I've gone trough quite a few and find some of the Garmin, and there are some similar other makes, very practical.
The ones I use presently have most of the features I need as pilot, Zulu, Sun set /rise, Alt, email, Alarms... and I can load apps that have a lot more info for flight, Xcty ski, run, Bike... It is very practical and very useful.
It can be configured to look Analog with multi dials, Text only, Map, track Alt, Temp, Baro, O2...
The battery is good for at least a week and in the last 3-4 since I have this I got real close to very hard surfaces, as you can see from the metal frame scratches and still works fine.

Watch1920.jpg

I love my Citizen Blue Angels wristwatch. I bought it as a gift to myself after earning my commercial pilot license.

I love my Citizen Blue Angels wristwatch. I bought it as a gift to myself after earning my commercial pilot license.

Love mine, too. It was my retirement gift from Lockheed Martin. Not really practical for flying, but still a nice piece of aero bling. Most of my watches were gifts of some sort and thus have a bit of sentimental value.

Have a few watches, but the one I wear every day is the Seamaster I got around 2008 after a work accomplishment. Worn it almost every day since the day I got it aside from the few times it has been in for routine service... I have small wrists, so it fits. Keeps great time, durable, understated... Sometimes I swap it out with a Seiko automatic diver for daily wear (skx007 iirc..).... but never for long. I always go back to this one.
IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_20220327_201546983.jpg

This is my $4 state-of-the-art watch. :D I bought it just before my first solo xc so I could time checkpoints easier. I had an analog watch, but it was my (still cheap) dress-up watch...definitely not an airplane watch! :cool:

View attachment 105756

This is my $4 state-of-the-art watch. :D I bought it just before my first solo xc so I could time checkpoints easier. I had an analog watch, but it was my (still cheap) dress-up watch...definitely not an airplane watch! :cool:

Hey, it gets the job done, right? And you don’t have to worry about banging it up or losing it.

Besides, I’m sure that husband of yours will be presenting you with a Breitling soon. :)

My dad has a really nice Rolex he bought in Hong Kong many years ago. He's sent it in for the factory "refurbishment" a couple of times.

I've never had a really nice watch. I had a Seiko Diver manual-wind back in the '80s. I bought it as a reward to myself for completing some pretty tough post-basic military training; probably the hardest thing I'd ever succeeded at by that young age.

I've been wearing a FitBit Charge since I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and my Timex quit working. But lately, I've been really wanting to get the Citizen ProMaster BA Skyhawk A-T. I know its pretty cliche' by now and every fighter pilot wannabe has one. But, still...

My dad has a really nice Rolex he bought in Hong Kong many years ago. He's sent it in for the factory "refurbishment" a couple of times.

I've never had a really nice watch. I had a Seiko Diver manual-wind back in the '80s. I bought it as a reward to myself for completing some pretty tough post-basic military training; probably the hardest thing I'd ever succeeded at by that young age.

I've been wearing a FitBit Charge since I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and my Timex quit working. But lately, I've been really wanting to get the Citizen ProMaster BA Skyhawk A-T. I know its pretty cliche' by now and every fighter pilot wannabe has one. But, still...

I have a Skyhawk AT, but not the Blue Angles one. The one I have has a titanium case and band. It's a great watch, I wear it all the time.

upload_2022-3-29_21-38-24.png

In about 1980, Casio produced the Calculator. At that time, I was doing a lot of simple math problems, on my feet, and on the move. This little gem could do all but square roots. It replaced my hand held calc. for most uses, as it was always with me. Timing was another required function that it did well. It lasted many years.

I wore it flying, and used the clock and timer, but not the calculator, as the buttons were too small for use when a scan must be maintained. A large button, large numeral hand held performed that function better.

Additionally, it had time, stop watch, alarm, date and day.

The current model, pictured, is available at Walmart, for $20. Original price was $50, not cheap.

Mine died after about 20 years of use, and several battery changes.

Last edited:
Back