Hangar Costs and Considerations

Hook3m1rish

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hook3m1rish
Hi all -

As I mentioned in another thread, I’m progressing to getting my PPL and starting to think about future plane ownership. I’m a researcher and information collector by trade, so I’m wondering if this might be a good source of information. In calculating and forecasting the cost of plane ownership, I wanted to see if this board’s knowledge included the approximate cost to hangar an airplane of the Piper Saratoga size in the Los Angeles area. I’m currently training at Zamperini airfield in Torrance, but I profess that I don’t know if there are open hangar spots and I also know there are many airfields in/near South Bay and that they may be better options.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

I pay 400 for a standard T hangar with power at WHP. I’d imagine TOA, if available, would be at least a couple hundred more.

Thank you very much. I’ve tried googling this, but if anyone knows - will the piper saratoga fit in a standard T hangar set up? I believe these are the correct relevant dimensions:
  • Wing Span: 36 ft 2 in
  • Length: 27 ft 9 in

Depends on the door width. I believe most doors are 40ish feet. I've seen some skinnier. My Lance fits fine but the Hershey bar wings are a little shorter than the Saratoga swept wing.

P.S. My bigger concern was the length of the PA32, not the width. I do fine there. Have a foot or two to spare.

Box hanger might be 40x40 and a T-hanger a little less because it's a T.

Here is Fullerton, KFUL, with a two year wait list.

fb7b7917a854795bb62ae66d5e46aca2.jpg

Hi all -

As I mentioned in another thread, I’m progressing to getting my PPL and starting to think about future plane ownership. I’m a researcher and information collector by trade, so I’m wondering if this might be a good source of information. In calculating and forecasting the cost of plane ownership, I wanted to see if this board’s knowledge included the approximate cost to hangar an airplane of the Piper Saratoga size in the Los Angeles area. I’m currently training at Zamperini airfield in Torrance, but I profess that I don’t know if there are open hangar spots and I also know there are many airfields in/near South Bay and that they may be better options.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Waiting times can be really long in the LA area and other large cities, not to mention really expensive. Have you though on looking for someone who has a large hangar with some space available that you can rent?

Thanks, all. This is great information. I had the price-per-square-foot information, but I was finding a pretty wide range of potential sizes for T-hangars.

I didn't expect there to be such long wait times/lack of availability with so many airports around, but that just shows my lack of experience in this space.

Hector - I had not considered that, but that's what makes this such a great community. Do you recommend trying to find/contact the owners of hangars at local airfields and just asking if I can pay them to store my plane? I'm certainly willing to do this if it's not poor etiquette or illegal.

Thanks, all. This is great information. I had the price-per-square-foot information, but I was finding a pretty wide range of potential sizes for T-hangars.

I didn't expect there to be such long wait times/lack of availability with so many airports around, but that just shows my lack of experience in this space.

Hector - I had not considered that, but that's what makes this such a great community. Do you recommend trying to find/contact the owners of hangars at local airfields and just asking if I can pay them to store my plane? I'm certainly willing to do this if it's not poor etiquette or illegal.
Yup. I can't speak on the etiquette part as some folks are harder to reach than others, but on the legal side: as long as the airport/airpark management doesn't restrict hangar space sub lease, you should be able to do it. I'm pretty sure some folks will be happy to have an extra income to pay for his/her hangar costs. They can give you a rate that includes the space, utilities, WiFi, etc.
The only potential issue that I see is insurance liability (yours and the hangar's owner). Like: What happens if your plane burst into flames and both planes go into a loss, or the other way around. But I'm pretty sure those issues can be sorted out.

Now, you'll have to be really picky with the hangar partner you choose, but that's material for another POA thread.

Last edited:
Back