Thinking about a pair of New Balance sneakers.

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Am I statutorily required to buy white as a pilot, or is that age restricted?

In all seriousness...I desperately need new shoes. I have a pair of Altra running shoes that I love. They are super light and have zero "drop" with lots of flex. They're awesome for flying ... Lots of pedal feel and no bulk.

Why not just get another pair then? The brand was acquired by Vans and as far as I can tell are all made in Chinese sweatshops. I know I'm tilting at windmills here, but I'd rather not support that business model if I can possibly help it.

So I'm thinking about NB 990'S, and I thought, I bet half of poa has a pair of those things. I also understand they've nearly doubled in price since the pandemic, so I'm wondering if they're worth it, and how much I'll get made fun of.

I'm not a runner, but I like lightweight minimalist shoes, which NB's don't really look like. I'm open to suggestions...

NBs are about the only sneaker I can wear….narrow widths.

I run in Altras (among other shoes) and have a pair for "daily" wearing. If you like them, just get another pair. I've got wide feet, though, so Altras are particularly comfortable for me.

FYI something happened with New Balance shoes in the last two years. I like the New Balance 577 shoes. I ordered a pair on the Zon, my size, standard width, and what showed up was a pair that was so narrow I couldn't even put them on my feet, despite otherwise being labeled as NB 577 in the correct size and width.

Bottom line? Go physically buy them and try them on to make sure you aren't ending up with crap. I ended up going to a Kohl's and finding a pair of NB shoes in my size and super extra wide, and that ended up being slightly wider than a normal width shoe.

Hoka One Ones are awesome. Most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had. I've found that either my feet change or the shoes change over time--or both. What used to work for me one time doesn't the next. I have to start all over.

If "feel" is your criterion, you can't go wrong with very lightweight workout shoes. I got a pair made by Merrell at the suggestion of my personal trainer and they are great. They would not be great for walking, however, but you can't beat them for feel. I can't remember what that style of shoe is called, though. I just searched the Merrell website and couldn't find them, even using the model number. But other manufacturers make them, I think. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hoka One Ones are awesome. Most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had. I've found that either my feet change or the shoes change over time--or both. What used to work for me one time doesn't the next. I have to start all over.

If "feel" is your criterion, you can't go wrong with very lightweight workout shoes. I got a pair made by Merrell at the suggestion of my personal trainer and they are great. They would not be great for walking, however, but you can't beat them for feel. I can't remember what that style of shoe is called, though. I just searched the Merrell website and couldn't find them, even using the model number. But other manufacturers make them, I think. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

My wife's started wearing Hokas as well, and likes them very much.

My kids would be dying of laughter over this…..only old people wear NB. Lol … they are my fav.

I ordered a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves today; I'm hoping to get them before we leave on our trip. Lightweight, zero drop...they look like they'll fit the bill, but I'm a bit worried about the width. Merrell is owned by Wolverine, and do their production in the US and Vietnam. As far as I can tell they're the only "minimalist" shoes not made in China.

I'd still love a pirep on the made in US New Balance though.

In my part of the world we prefer Georgia Boot Romeo's. Sneakers are sissy shoes.
lol. My experience has been that there's barely room up there for a size 13 bare foot...let alone trying to wrap them in a boot. I tried flying in my boots exactly once, and nearly had a runway excursion when my foot got stuck against the rudder bar and I couldn't press right rudder. Since then it's been "sissy shoes" only in the airplane.

I like Brooks walking shoes. Light and comfortable. They used to make them in white and brown, now just white and black. I don't own a skateboard, so now I'm on the lookout for a decent brown walking shoe that's comfortable.

Love my NB sneakers. Very comfortable. Hold on a second, I have to yell at the neighborhood kids.

You kids get off my lawn!

Yes, I buy white. When I start wearing white vinyl belts, they’ll match.

I was told the higher number the better the sneaker for NB.

Scoffers are 180 degrees out of phase. White, leather sneakers are quite trendy at the moment, according to Ashley Weston.

The pandemic has really screwed me up for shoes. New Balance has been the only ones I can find in my size and width, and actually fit. For some reason though, 6E width NB's in the correct size are extremely hard to find now. Had to switch to Drew's the last time I ordered and they are a real problem when they start to fail. I spent over an hour online trying to find NB's of any reasonable model in the correct size and width and it doesn't look good for me.

All of the cool kids wear Asics.
Cool if you like the new crappy designs and fit and wear, , not what they used to be, the new ones I gave up on
New balance, sizes are now narrower than in the past. not true to size.

Just bought another pair of NB. Note that rheir sizes are all over the place, so make sure you can try rhem.

Back