Daylight Time vs. Standard Time

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Preference? Should we trash it or keep it? And if keep it, which one?

I'd prefer that the entire world simply use UTC. It would make scheduling virtual activities so much simpler.
It would suck for a year or two, until everyone got used to it, and then be bliss for eternity.

But, it doesn’t solve the “you always schedule a meeting at lunch time”, or “I’m not getting up in the middle of the night for your ‘2pm’ meeting”.

when flying long distances, you can kind of tell when the suns going down or when people are going to be eating or quitting work when you arrive using time zones. Without them you’d have no clue.

wouldn’t fix jet lag.

maybe it wouldn’t be so great after all.

Last edited:
We in Arizona prefer to stay on Mountain Standard Time. We don't need another hour of daylight on summer evenings.
I'd generally agree, but as a flight instructor, it was nice that the 8am-5pm corporations were letting their employees off in time to do a 6-8pm flight. That's the real issue, is employers that are too rigid. Staying on DST would work for me.

The problem is not DST vs ST. It's our current view of a day.

All 25 time zones are actually based on 'Sun straight up at noon time.' For all of time our work days were 'sun centered' due to no real good artificial lighting. And, they are still 'sun centered'. But, what has changed with artificial lighting is our view of what is our 'awake time' each day. For most people, their 'awake time' is not centered on work or the sun, it is lopsided so that almost all our 'awake time' is after our 'work time'. This has shifted the center of our perceived day to 2pm. Most people get up at 6am (0600), then go to bed at 10-11pm (let's use 2200). So the center of their day is calculated as "(2200-0600)/2+0600=1400", or 2pm.

The real fix is to 'sun center' our 'awake time', not play with the clocks. If we, as a nation, just said that a normal work day is 6-to-3, not 9-to-5, the current time zones would work as they should.

Leave it as is. They tried staying on DST in the early 70s. Everyone thought it was a great idea until that winter when kids were going to school in the dark, then the popularity plunged. They reversed their decision the following year.

Learn from the past. Or, just keep making the same mistakes.

Leave it as is. They tried staying on DST in the early 70s. Everyone thought it was a great idea until that winter when kids were going to school in the dark, then the popularity plunged. They reversed their decision the following year.

Learn from the past.
Or - adjust school hours.

The real fix is to 'sun center' our 'awake time', not play with the clocks. If we, as a nation, just said that a normal work day is 6-to-3, not 9-to-5, the current time zones would work as they should.
Right. Businesses could adjust their seasonal hours.

Did you have to pay extra for devices with that feature?

Nah ... they don't like that trash either and are very thankful that I don't make them regurgitate it ...

Then you still have the same amount of daylight after school/work as we do right now.
Without changing the clocks, though. Adjust the start time 8am from summer break until winter, 9 am in the winter... but leave the actual clock alone.

Consider the cost of every business in the country having to put up new hours signs, change their websites, etc... all the people going to the store that they know closes at 6 only to find they just switched to closing at 5... the uptick in car crashes last time they tried DST in the winter. No thanks.

Consider the cost of every business in the country having to put up new hours signs, change their websites, etc... all the people going to the store that they know closes at 6 only to find they just switched to closing at 5... the uptick in car crashes last time they tried DST in the winter. No thanks.
And Spring Forward Fall back is different how? There are downsides any way you cut it.

Stay in DST. We are already there most of the year anyway.

When I was growing up, they did. Problem is, there are also government and public offices, as well as other businesses, that didn’t.

I’ll take permanent DST hands down. Adjust morning school hours if there is really an issue.

When I was growing up, they did. Problem is, there are also government and public offices, as well as other businesses, that didn’t.

I’ll take permanent DST hands down. Adjust morning school hours if there is really an issue.
Same here.

The people that don't want this are the one's that don't like something, but are too lazy to adjust their website (or just add extra text with their seasonal hours) but are perfectly willing to use the force of the government to tell you to change YOUR clock.

Why can't kids go to school in the dark? Its been a while since I have been in school, but I seem to recall them having lights.

You can’t make daylight. Split the difference and use 30 minute time zones like much of the world does. Then everyone gets half of what they want.

Stay with DST. Darkness in the morning doesn't bother me at all, but dark-as-night at 16:30 is just plain depressing.

And then I'll complain about it getting dark at 17:30....:biggrin:

Why can't kids go to school in the dark?
I did that as a kid. In a rural area. No street lights. In the winter months, it was seriously dark out there by the road. As noted above, parent's really hated it, and even I found it kinda creepy.

in other news, Congress just passed a law to define pi as the number 3.

DST all year for me. In Texas, in December, the sun sets at 5:22PM. This makes it almost impossible for me to do photo shoots after work on weekdays.

I did that as a kid. In a rural area. No street lights. In the winter months, it was seriously dark out there by the road. As noted above, parent's really hated it, and even I found it kinda creepy.

Kids do it now where I am. Although it seems none of them ride the bus anymore, seems like the parents just drive them to school.

Sun straight up at noon time. Also known as standard time.
Nope, that is NOT "standard time." Standard time is the antithesis of solar noon, also known as local mean time. Countries adopted "Standard Time" (which is a common time for a large area) as railroads became a vital part of life. Standard time came about in Great Britain in 1847 for the railroads and 1855 for pretty much the rest of the country. In the US, railroads had their individual standard times until 1883 and the government mandated it in 1918.

Back