Minneapolis area - best airport?

kaiser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The pilot formerly known as Cool Beard Guy
I’m headed to Minneapolis soon for 1 night and it turns out MSP (Signature), MIC, and STP are all the same distance to where I’m headed.

What say you brain trust, is there a preferred airport? I’m in a Piper Arrow if it matters.

STP has Signature and St Paul Flight Center on the field. I don't know the price difference between them but you should get good service at each, and I believe there's self service near Signatures ramp. I don't get over to MIC so I can't say anything about them. STP is easy to get in and out, not busy at all.
ANE is good too, right on the freeway to downtown areas.

Of those choices I’d probably do STP. It’s easy to get in and out of and services are good there.

Of those choices I’d probably do STP. It’s easy to get in and out of and services are good there.
Agreed. Or if want to hail an Uber, don’t forget about SGS just down the road. Generally cheapest gas and fees in the area, but no nearby public transportation like STP has.

Agreed. Or if want to hail an Uber, don’t forget about SGS just down the road. Generally cheapest gas and fees in the area, but no nearby public transportation like STP has.
Wow I didn’t even see SGS! It’s an extra 8 minutes by car to where we’re going compared to the rest, so if there’s lower cost to offset this then it may be a contender… thanks!

Haven’t done those but will share that I was assigned an arrival when I picked up my clearance. Got a few shortcuts before they gave me direct destination about 20 minutes in.

MSP (Signature) is fun to land at given its a Bravo. But im guessing with all fees you'll be looking at around $130...some of that being $8/gal fuel in exchange for a fee.

The restaurant at STP is really, really good. I've always wondered what would happen if you left a plane there overnight. No fees to park there. Plenty of room. Maybe no tie downs.

Not really sure where you would park at MIC. I believe Thunderbird locks up the building and gate when they shutdown. I know at least one person who had to climb the fence to get out of the airport after arriving late.

I believe at ANE you can park right by the tower. Easy pick up and drop off with no fee. But like the STP restaurant not sure if any tie downs.

Flemming (SGS) is a great little airport.

Each of these airports are nice and convenient I fly into all of them regularly throughout the month. KMIC is my home base. The biggest difference will be the size of the airport and level of services available.

SGS is a great airport (non towered), with services available. Parking is right outside of a nice little public facility.

KMIC is very convenient as well (Class D), with services available at Thunderbird FBO. You can park either at Thunderbird (preferred) or near the base of the tower in the GA parking area. No need to climb any fences if arriving at night, the GA parking area near the tower has 24/7 access via a gate.

KSTP is the largest (Class D), and I second the recommendation on the restaurant (Holman's Table). You will have access to two of the nicer FBOs in the area with more services available.

As you move from smaller non towered (SGS) up to full scale class D (KSTP) you will notice a much different price for 100LL. KMIC sits generally in the middle of the two airports in terms of amenities and services.

The good news is you won't go wrong with any of the three options.

Wow I didn’t even see SGS! It’s an extra 8 minutes by car to where we’re going compared to the rest, so if there’s lower cost to offset this then it may be a contender… thanks!
If you go, just remember it’s “Fleming traffic” and you’re damn near touching the MSP B surface area if you’re on downwind for 34 and the STP D is very close to 16 base. It’s a great little airport though. $5 or so overnight fee, honor system if the office is closed

MIC, Crystal Airport 8 sm NW of downtown Minneapolis. T-bird is one FBO there, treated me well.

I’ve been to STP once, ANE twice, and MIC several times. If the distances are the same, I prefer MIC. ANE had this awesome little FBO the first time I went (put my plane in their hangar for free to thaw the frozen rain off of it) but they got bought out before my second trip and now it doesn’t have much to set it apart from any other delta. STP was great and seemed affordable for an overnight at a bigger delta. Thunderbird at MIC has always been very friendly to me but the last time I was there (March 2021) I found out that the airport commission had changed the standards for fuel farms, Thunderbird has let theirs go, and the airport commission opened their own self serve fuel inconveniently located far from the FBO or any noticeable transient parking.

I’ve never quite justified the cost of MSP yet. Overnights are where I think the most pain would be felt, so if you’re making a day trip it might work out fine. Post your PIREP here when you get home. And good luck!

Thanks all! We ended up delaying the MSP trip to next month (going to Nashville instead)… but I’ll keep all this in mind and write up a trip report when we accomplish the mission.

There’s one airport where the FBO has electric outlets in the middle of the ramp,with power cords for your engine heater. I thought that was a great thing. Don’t remember which airport, though.

Back