Icon A5 today?

TxJim

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TxJim
Lake LBJ, TX. More to come thru normal channels, but apparently the pilot forgot to retract the landing gear after takeoff from a prepared field prior to a water landing.

Icon A5 2022-03-16.png

If the guy didn't want it, I would have been glad to take it off his hands.
Are these things fiberglass? I'll be perusing the salvage sites for the next few months

Are these things fiberglass? I'll be perusing the salvage sites for the next few months
Carbon fiber. And as expensive as those things are, your guess is as good as mine if it is totaled as the amount of damage isn't clear. It is likely repairable.

Those things are essentially uninsurable. But I suppose if you can afford it, it doesn’t matter.

Cheers

Turn on the bilge pump, pull the prop through a couple times and she'll be good as new.

Would think with today's technology would be able to warn the pilot the gear is down when over water GPS could be used to locate the aircraft.

I met a demo pilot for Icon a month or so ago at the Lago Vista airport northwest of Austin. Nice guy. He mentioned the Highland Lakes (which lake LBJ is a part of) in that area is a hotbed for Icon A5’s. He said there are 4 or 5 based around there…guess that’s down to 3 or 4 now…

I met a demo pilot for Icon a month or so ago at the Lago Vista airport northwest of Austin. Nice guy. He mentioned the Highland Lakes (which lake LBJ is a part of) in that area is a hotbed for Icon A5’s. He said there are 4 or 5 based around there…guess that’s down to 3 or 4 now…

This made me think of the high voltage power lines that run across Lake Travis near Graveyard Point. There are other lines on Lakes LBJ and Buchanan.

Fly carefully.

Would think with today's technology would be able to warn the pilot the gear is down when over water GPS could be used to locate the aircraft.

The SeaReys I’ve flown have “Bitching Betty” that states the gear is in position for either land or water when you’re on approach/in the pattern. Not sure how she knows when to start bitching but it’s probably a combo of altitude, Engine power, GPS, Phase of the Moon, Pucker Factor Sensor in the Seat or something else. When I was flying over water at about 50’, no comments from Betty.

You have to verify gear is where you want it to silence the warning. No clue if the A5 has the same thing but for a price of $200000 more than a SeaRey, it might:D.

Cheers

Well to be fair, I think if you do a gear down water landing in a Searay or Aventura there's a good chance you'll end up dead.

Well to be fair, I think if you do a gear down water landing in a Searay or Aventura there's a good chance you'll end up dead.
I knew a guy who landed his Searey gear down in the water not once but twice, wasn't hurt either time. Nice guy, but a walking disaster area. Then there was the time he caught his foot in the man door as the hangar door was opening... :eek:

Back