NJ Rental for solo flight

Aye Effaar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JC
Looking for GA trainer aircraft rental in NJ. Open to 172, 152, Warrior, Archer, etc.... I'm open to leaseback if you have one available. Working on my CFI, so I need to fly right-seat

There is a real shortage of rental opportunities here. Plenty of flight schools willing to provide planes with instructors, but almost no-one willing to rent to those working on ratings who need solo time. Most of the flying clubs have waiting lists so no joy there.

Thanks

Last edited:
you can't get checked out in a plane and be a renter? is this a new thing going on?

Looking for GA trainer aircraft rental in NJ. Open to 172, 152, Warrior, Archer, etc.... I'm open to leaseback if you have one available. Working on my CFI, so I need to fly right-seat

There is a real shortage of rental opportunities here. Plenty of flight schools willing to provide planes with instructors, but almost no-one willing to rent to those working on ratings who need solo time. Most of the flying clubs have waiting lists so no joy there.

Thanks
NJ is a big place - what part of NJ are you in? If near to NYC, both MMU and CDW have plenty of solo rental options.

NJ is a big place - what part of NJ are you in? If near to NYC, both MMU and CDW have plenty of solo rental options.

Northern NJ. Near Teterboro (TEB), Caldwell (CDW), Morristown (MMU), Lincoln Park (N07), Westchester (HPN), Greenwood Lake (4N1), Linden (LDJ).

Not so close, but willing to travel to Andover, Sussex, Central Jersey, Blairstown.

Check out CDW - Air Fleet training is well-run shop. Planes are clean and well-maintained.

I think Certified Flyers in MMU is still alive, but their fleet is a lot smaller than it was a few years ago.

Check out CDW - Air Fleet training is well-run shop. Planes are clean and well-maintained.

I think Certified Flyers in MMU is still alive, but their fleet is a lot smaller than it was a few years ago.

I just called Air Fleet and Certified Flyers.

Air Fleet will only rent to students and only permit solo after 10-hours of training flights. All rentals must be flown from left-seat.

Certified Flyers is much easier operation to work with, but they also do not permit flight from right-seat.

As I mentioned, I'm working on CFI and need to fly right-seat.

Aviation in the NYC area. I live here too and both love and hate it simultaneously.

Rental options around here stink or don’t exist so you look into buying only to find out none of the airports have hangars available.

have you tried looking further south? Princeton or old bridge?

I just called Air Fleet and Certified Flyers.

Air Fleet will only rent to students and only permit solo after 10-hours of training flights. All rentals must be flown from left-seat.

Certified Flyers is much easier operation to work with, but they also do not permit flight from right-seat.

As I mentioned, I'm working on CFI and need to fly right-seat.

This is dumb. These flight schools have never trained a CFI candidate before?

Thanks

@Aye Effaar - we train TONS of pilots in AZ, have nearly 365 flyable days every year, - consider a 6-mo apartment down this way while you knock out ratings.

Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc. may get you more flying opportunities.

Last edited:
This is dumb. These flight schools have never trained a CFI candidate before?
I am wondering if it's more along the lines of them requiring students to be enrolled in some program, vs just ad hoc rentals. Clearly they must allow solo renting as that's a fairly basic requirement for even PPL

I'm wondering if it's in their rental agreement that you can't sit right seat or if you're bringing it up when you ask them.

AeroSafety Training at N07 did this when I instructed there. Idk what their story is now. But it was one of the best places years ago

There’s a sizable school at Trento-Mercer if that works for you. They would more than likely hire you as an instructor when you get your CFI.

Back