Fuel transfer from jerrycan to airplane

Axelaxe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Axelaxe
Hi!

I am trying to figure out a good easy way to transfer fuel from my jerrycans to our gyrocopter.
I breaking my back lifting the things. Preferably an electric pump or similar.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I bought and used one of these. I was checking fuel tank gauges pumping from one tank to another. Slow but works better with 3 hands.

yeah I got that one as well. worked fine for what I needed, easy to use.

Go to the auto parts store. Buy the cheapest electric fuel pump you can find.
Mount it in an aluminum Bud Box with appropriate holes for fuel, battery connections and a ground wire.
I have the pump and motorcycle battery inside the box.
Caveat:
You can't have a big vertical distance between the can of gas and the pump, or between the pump and the fuel tank unless you buy an expensive fuel pump.

There are also grinder style hand pumps you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Siph...=1647395389&sprefix=fuel+siphon,aps,81&sr=8-9

I use something like this to transfer 5 gallon cans into my vehicles. I put the can on top of a small folding ladder, about shoulder height, so I don’t have to hold it up for the transfer. Shake the hose and the small brass valve acts as a one way check valve to get the siphon started. It’s a simple setup, I haven’t timed it but I’d bet it empties the 5 gallon can in less than 2 minutes.

I got mine at Harbor Freight, probably $7-8.

Thank you! A lot of great suggestions.

As my fathers shoulders is not really up to the continuous pumping necessary to empty a 5 gallon can, especially since the tank sits pretty high up, we were looking for something a bit easier. I cant post links as I am new to the forum, but we were thinking something like Fill-rite portable pumps or handpumps.

Anybody have any suggestions there?

FYI the one I posted you don’t have to keep pumping, you just pump to get the flow started, then it does the rest for you. It’s a siphon.

FYI the one I posted you don’t have to keep pumping, you just pump to get the flow started, then it does the rest for you. It’s a siphon.
Thanks! The problem is the elevation, the tank is about 5 feet above the tank. But i guess you could lift it up to a ladder.

Hi!

I am trying to figure out a good easy way to transfer fuel from my jerrycans to our gyrocopter.

First off get rid of the jerry cans, IMO.
These are far superior to any metal can. They don't spill a drop, they are lighter, don't wear out and don't rust. I have been using them for 25 years and static spark is not an issue, IMO. I have about 25 of them, I use them for all kinds of liquid.

049_5.jpg

This is the ultimate solution, I have been using this tank since 1993. It currently holds 95 gallons of 100LL at last months lower price. It needs a paint job, was custom built by a local welding shop.
IMG_0767.JPG

Last edited:
Hi!

Another thing I want to point out is when using temporary/portable pumps, siphons, etc is when accidents are more prone to happen. Seems risky to me around aircraft?

Thanks! We decided to try the Fill-Rite system Huckster79 suggested. Gives us a good amount of flexibility, especially if mounted on a little trolley.

Thanks! We decided to try the Fill-Rite system Huckster79 suggested. Gives us a good amount of flexibility, especially if mounted on a little trolley.

Be especially careful with portable pumps and alligator clips, battery's around gasoline, airplanes. Not recommended!!!

Be aware, gasoline is one of the most difficult liquids to suck. The pump must be close to the gas and will cavitate very easy. Suction line should be larger than the discharge hose. It won't suck the gas up hill very well if at all. This why all gas pumps are submersed in gas tanks underground at the gas stations.

Last edited:
This why all gas pumps are submersed in gas tanks underground at the gas stations.

Interesting.

I always assumed that was a safety consideration, since an electrical failure with arcing wouldn't be able to ignite the gasoline if the pump were submerged. Gas has to vaporize with air in order to ignite.

Interesting.

I always assumed that was a safety consideration, since an electrical failure with arcing wouldn't be able to ignite the gasoline if the pump were submerged. Gas has to vaporize with air in order to ignite.

No not the reason. Gas tanks empty can have 15000 gal of vapor in them empty or more. Air get's sucked in with every gallon pumped out.

I suppose you aren't looking at huge quantities of gas for a gyro for each fill

I've seen plenty of decent solutions meant for transferring gasolines to boats at a dock...like the back of the truck versions but smaller... maybe 10-15 gallons with a pump and hose....and with wheels to roll down the dock

Agreed, fuel and electricity is always to be respected. Looking at a mounted solution in the hanger where the battery is in a confined box or similar.

Back