KVRB Vero Beach Questions

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Heading to Vero beach.

Any recommendation on which FBO to use? Anything special to know before flying in beside NOTAM’s. Must go to places to eat or see?

Expect to be flying into a bee’s nest. There are one or two big flight schools there and it’s usually quite busy, but the tower does a good job.

CJ Cannon’s restaurant in the terminal is good. Haven’t been there in a while, but they serve up a killer smoked salmon Benedict.

Coming in from the north. We flew into Ft. Pierce last time in the area and it was traffic everywhere but somehow pretty organized. I’ll file and that seems to always help with getting in.

I flew out of there this afternoon after lunch at CJ Cannons. Sun Aviation is literally next door to restaurant. Restaurant was very busy but also quite good. FBO seemed fine. Airport wasn’t that busy. Got a clearance immediately. Taxied directly to runway 12R. Did my runup on the taxi, tower cleared me to takeoff before I got to hold short line so never even stopped. Can’t complain.
However ATC took me west across the whole state before turning me north towards Atlanta.
As they say, YRMV

I've used Sun Aviation when I've been there. As was mentioned, there is a lot of flight training activity at the airport but there were never any large delays due to it.

I've never had a bad experience with Sun. CJ cannon's as mentioned is great. While you're there, see if Piper is back to doing factory tours. It's less than a five minute walk from the FBO.

Lots of pilot mill training on the field there, and just about every other costal airport in Florida. You'll be much better off arriving IFR. I've personally heard the tower tell VFR inbound guys to remain clear of the delta, he'll call them back in half an hour.

I'm heading down there next week, but using X26 instead.

I've personally heard the tower tell VFR inbound guys to remain clear of the delta, he'll call them back in half an hour.

I was initially going to say that I had never heard that before, but then I remembered a day at FRG when that happened and caused all sorts of problems both for incoming and even outgoing traffic that were being directed to leave the D expeditiously and directly after takeoff. This caused some confusion and consternation when departing the south runway and then trying to get north of the NY class B without some improvisation.

Last edited:
Lots of pilot mill training on the field there, and just about every other costal airport in Florida. You'll be much better off arriving IFR. I've personally heard the tower tell VFR inbound guys to remain clear of the delta, he'll call them back in half an hour.

Happens at Fort Pierce too, but not to those requesting full stop, it gets lots of practice approaches because they have an ILS plus a school on site.
The practice areas for both are west of airports, so expect lots of traffic on approach into prevailing wind/runways.
Orlando class B forces you either east or west unless you climb above 10000’, they rarely allow you to fly through it, happen to me once when I was at 9500’.

I used Corporate Air for a couple of overnights. Think it was $20 to park. It's a bit off to the side from the main part of the airport, but the folks there were very nice and you don't feel like you are parking in a Walmart. They also brought an Avis car planeside and handled the return. Yes it's busy, but it also has a tower, so not quite like going into say Lantana, which has just as much traffic, but no tower.

I'm heading down there next week, but using X26 instead.

Vacation for mary and I, just needed a quick get-away and then visit my brother in Port St Lucie. Free time in your schedule for meet up and some eats?

Vacation for mary and I, just needed a quick get-away and then visit my brother in Port St Lucie. Free time in your schedule for meet up and some eats?

Let me check and get back with you.

I lived in Vero Beach in 1980 - 81 while working for Fright Safety and another place. It was one of my favorite places that I have lived. I have not been back since for a variety of reasons, i.e. life in general. Over 40 years have passed. Doesn't seem possible. I plan on visiting again... someday. I bet I would recognize very little of it.

I lived in Vero Beach in 1980 - 81 while working for Fright Safety and another place. It was one of my favorite places that I have lived. I have not been back since for a variety of reasons, i.e. life in general. Over 40 years have passed. Doesn't seem possible. I plan on visiting again... someday. I bet I would recognize very little of it.

it’s only been 7 years since we retired to ocean city MD, and we can’t believe the changes when we go back home to Wilmington DE. Time certainly waits for no one.

I ran out of time to connect with you. Ended up in Orlando for 3 days, then suddenly the weekend was over.

A lot of damn students… That’s that whole area though, not just VRB
And not just pilots. The controllers are students too. I have been in more scary ATC induced ‘situations’ flying into VRB than in the rest of my flying combined.

Back