Good areas of Dallas

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Anyone familiar with Dallas, which parts are the better parts. Am familiar with Plano/Frisco areas, what else besides that?

Anyone familiar with Dallas, which parts are the better parts. Am familiar with Plano/Frisco areas, what else besides that?
I live in Denton.

A few others including @JCranford and @SixPapaCharlie live in the DFW area.

But your question is non-specific. What sort of information are you really wanting to know?

I live in Denton.

A few others including @JCranford and @SixPapaCharlie live in the DFW area.

But your answer is non-specific. What sort of information are you really wanting to know?

More specifically places to live, good clean areas, convenient and easy access to upper end malls/restaurants/shopping is desired, areas that will be appreciating.

I live in Oak Cliff. You probably won't be my neighbor, but good is subjective. I'm 12 minutes from my airport office, low traffic, lower housing costs, and don't spend as much money on junk...

areas that will be appreciating.
Personally, I think we are in a significant bubble right now. I wouldn't be surprised if things continue to rise for another year or 5, but someday it's definitely coming down, and sooner rather than later in my opinion. We're a point right now where people are outbidding each other and paying more than asking prices for stuff. I shoot photos of high end real estate, and there is a LOT of turnover happening right now.

Plano and Frisco are not parts of Dallas, they are distant suburbs and their own cities.

Are you looking to buy property, live here, raise kids, retire? Do you want an apartment, a high-rise condo, a single-family home? Big house on a small lot or a small house on a big lot? A lot of the "nice" areas have probably done much of their appreciating already. The less nice areas have more upward potential.

The most upper-end mall in Dallas (really the whole metroplex) is Northpark Center. It's close to downtown, uptown, East Dallas, Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Preston Hollow, and the Park Cities (two very nice small towns completely surrounded by Dallas).

Residential Real estate on the north side has gone effing nuts over the last year. So many stories about sellers getting multiple offers well above their ask within 24-hours of being listed.

Does it need to be Dallas specifically? Could it be the west side like Fort Worth and the I35W corridor? Could you look at the map and maybe narrow down the search area?

DFW is a huge map. The parameters provided in your response to me apply to pretty much all of it. We are going to need more details and data to help provide better answers.

Highland Park. North end of Oakwood. Nice areas.

I lived in the grapevine area for a couple years. Commuted down to love field for work.
It was ok. Last time I was in town I found out Ball’s Burgers had closed. If Kuby’s and Hard 8 close up there won’t be much reason to go back.

I have a lot of respect for the people that stick around the metroplex. Constant urban sprawl, traffic and ****ing people everywhere. It seems to me the best way to survive in that place is just embrace city living. Something small, no yard, close to work. Like ride your bicycle close. At lest then you’ll almost certainly be walking distance or cheap Uber from bars so you can self medicate for living in such a miserable place.

My parents live in Waxahachie, which is a southern suburb of Dallas. They just moved there about 7 or 8 months ago, and the market was nuts then. Houses were selling when my parents were inside them having a showing, and my parents only got the house they did because the realtor selling the place was late to work and they called her before she got to the office and made the deal over the phone. There were seven offers on that same house on the realtor's answering machine!

It's a very nice city, though a little far away from fancy shopping and restaurants, probably a 20 - 30 minute drive depending on where you're going so it may be too far for your liking. I-35 goes right by, so it's not hard to jump on and drive into Dallas. It has a lot of the perks of being outside the major city, mainly less crime and less slum section, more "green spaces", more space in general, and overall, it's a very attractive city if you like cities. :) The population is definitely on the upward swing there and is expected to continue that way.

I guess my point is, if you're amenable to it, you might want to consider something a little further away from "City Center" to get bigger yards, less crime, and a place that's easier to live in. Of course, it's possible that you like living in cities, so it wouldn't bother you as much as it would bother me. :cool:

My parents live in Waxahachie, which is a southern suburb of Dallas. They just moved there about 7 or 8 months ago, and the market was nuts then. Houses were selling when my parents were inside them having a showing, and my parents only got the house they did because the realtor selling the place was late to work and they called her before she got to the office and made the deal over the phone. There were seven offers on that same house on the realtor's answering machine!

It's a very nice city, though a little far away from fancy shopping and restaurants, probably a 20 - 30 minute drive depending on where you're going so it may be too far for your liking. I-35 goes right by, so it's not hard to jump on and drive into Dallas. It has a lot of the perks of being outside the major city, mainly less crime and less slum section, more "green spaces", more space in general, and overall, it's a very attractive city if you like cities. :) The population is definitely on the upward swing there and is expected to continue that way.

I guess my point is, if you're amenable to it, you might want to consider something a little further away from "City Center" to get bigger yards, less crime, and a place that's easier to live in. Of course, it's possible that you like living in cities, so it wouldn't bother you as much as it would bother me. :cool:
I like Waxahachie. Have a really good friend in the area. Met him when I was working in Dallas. I go hang out with him as much as I can when I have to go back to Dallas on trips. Lots of good people running around at the airport there as well. That airport was my safe place when I was living in DFW.

I like Waxahachie. Have a really good friend in the area. Met him when I was working in Dallas. I go hang out with him as much as I can when I have to go back to Dallas on trips. Lots of good people running around at the airport there as well. That airport was my safe place when I was living in DFW.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the airport there! I went out one weekday to check it out and it was hopping. There were people out plane-watching on the patio, a couple of planes flying in, and lots of cool planes tied down on the ramp. It was a neat airport.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the airport there! I went out one weekday to check it out and it was hopping. There were people out plane-watching on the patio, a couple of planes flying in, and lots of cool planes tied down on the ramp. It was a neat airport.
You should pop in to get some glider or aerobatic training from the resident DPE at that little airport. She is an amazing person.

You should pop in to get some glider or aerobatic training from the resident DPE at that little airport. She is an amazing person.

I no longer live there, or I would! I lived in Waxahachie for about four months and then moved about 1300 miles east, so the commute would be a little bit of a stretch. LOL

The best part of Dallas is a suburb called Oklahoma City.

Hah!

The housing market is booming here too. We just closed on selling a house where we got something like 27 offers in the the first two days on the market. 15-ish showings the first day. People making offers without even seeing the house. Went for more than asking price, in as-is condition, with an appraisal guarantee. It's a great time to be a seller, but I'm sure glad we're not buying right now.

New houses are going up everywhere.

I make it no secret I don't like Texas. Mainly for the weather. I went to school near Dallas. Bought my first house in Dallas. It feels like all the jobs at work are moving to Dallas. Pass.

Although I've considered heading down there this week to catch the Conf USA basketball tournament. Still undecided.

The market is pretty efficient. Go on Zillow and look for the most expensive properties. Those are the nice areas. This works in any city.

The best area of Dallas is Fort Worth, lol. Seriously, start at Denton and look South and West from there. If you can stay North and West of I-35W and 820 the better for avoiding a large portion of traffic nightmares (not that I-35W is a picnic). Getting on the East side of I-35W has suburbs like Southlake/Grapevine which are nice, but prices are sky high and traffic still sucks. I liked Benbrook/Aledo on the SW side of Fort Worth as the traffic was much nicer and a more laid-back crowd.

For the next few years, I’d avoid any areas in Denton and Collin County where you would depend on Highway 380 to go east or west.

The area continues to be in explosive growth mode and the roadways were never designed to handle the current volume let alone where it’s growing too.

10 years ago, Denton to McKinney along HWY 380 was a bit over 30 minutes and minimal traffic and stoplights. Now it is well over an hour.

the north south arteries (Dallas North Tollway, HWY 75, Preston and Custer road) are also at capacity.

Starting in a few months, HWY 389 will go under construction (again) for at least 2 years while they implement a design to handle more car volume.

If I have to go anywhere in that sector of DFW, I go south to the Sam Rayburn Tollway and angle back up. About 45 minutes but way less traffic.

@SoonerAviator has good advice. Look to the west and Northwest side.

Frisco/Plano all multiple offer situation, and Texas doesn’t publish the sold price so no idea how much over ask they are selling for.

The second listing is cheaper so wondering if this is an avoid area, south of Farmers Branch / Google maps calls it “NW Dallas” area.

Just casually looking, no kids, work from home.

NW Dallas is not bad. It has some pockets to avoid. But that seems expensive to me for that area. For the kind of access you want, if you don't have to commute, I'd look east of Dallas proper.

NW Dallas is not bad. It has some pockets to avoid. But that seems expensive to me for that area. For the kind of access you want, if you don't have to commute, I'd look east of Dallas proper.

I did a Google street view and the area is a little more run down, but I didn’t rule it out either. What do you think the home is worth? The schools are rated like a 1 out of 10, how is that even possible. I do not want to be a minority in the area if that makes sense.

I did a Google street view and the area is a little more run down, but I didn’t rule it out either. What do you think the home is worth? The schools are rated like a 1 out of 10, how is that even possible. I do not want to be a minority in the area if that makes sense.
Are you looking to purchase a home? What budget range?

Frisco/Plano all multiple offer situation, and Texas doesn’t publish the sold price so no idea how much over ask they are selling for.

The second listing is cheaper so wondering if this is an avoid area, south of Farmers Branch / Google maps calls it “NW Dallas” area.

Just casually looking, no kids, work from home.

The second option is a mile or two North of Dallas-Love. The reason it's lower priced is because you'll be listening to 737's take off over your head for 1/3 of the year, and land over your head the other 2/3 of the time. Maybe look over towards Las Colinas if you are dead-set on staying closer to Dallas, it's a nice community just to the West about 5-7 miles.

That's like asking what's the best area of Chicagoland.

South Farmers Branch/NW Dallas is not a area I would recommend. Think Pilsen.

I live on the west side of the metroplex. It's not all peaches and cream on this side of town, with all the companies moving to town, the sprawl is as far as you can see when I take off from my once rural airport.

To give you an idea on house prices, I bought a fixer upper four years ago on the only decent lake in DFW that you can actually own a house and have a boat dock. Paid about $90 a foot as it was in real bad shape.

After a complete and very expensive rehab, I will list it in May for $700 a foot and expect it to be gone by the end of the month.

It's nearly 7,000sq ft.

That's like asking what's the best area of Chicagoland.

South Farmers Branch/NW Dallas is not a area I would recommend. Think Pilsen.

I live on the west side of the metroplex. It's not all peaches and cream on this side of town, with all the companies moving to town, the sprawl is as far as you can see when I take off from my once rural airport.

To give you an idea on house prices, I bought a fixer upper four years ago on the only decent lake in DFW that you can actually own a house and have a boat dock. Paid about $90 a foot as it was in real bad shape.

After a complete and very expensive rehab, I will list it in May for $700 a foot and expect it to be gone by the end of the month.

It's nearly 7,000sq ft.

Nice, but on the other hand I think I could tell you where to stay in Chicagoland tho.

North of the Chicago river, closer to the lakefront, Bucktown, nearby Costco, Lincoln Park, up to Wrigley. Between Chicago River & Lincoln Park is a bit downtown-ish and can get problematic at night. North of Wrigley gets sketchy you might need to carry a piece walking your dog. Andersonville is up and coming. Beyond that the north suburbs of Evanston up to Lake Forest again closer to Lake Michigan. Some suburbs on the western front but with traffic looking at 1.5-2 hours commute into the city so would avoid. Northern suburbs are 30-45 minutes to downtown. Avoid everywhere else, south side etc.

I wouldn't move here if you don't have to. It is inflated to the point of stupidity.
I couldn't afford to buy my own house right now.
It's like that literally everywhere. How's that even possible? The residential real estate market is like tulip futures right now.

It's like that literally everywhere. How's that even possible? The residential real estate market is like tulip futures right now.

Yeah, not sure that this will change. Younger generation have put off buying property and now many of them in their late 30s married with kids and asking why they are still renting. They are running to the banks and they are giving them loans with low down payments and the real estate agents are telling them to bid way over asking to win the home. Without experience of knowing the market or how to negotiate they give in and buy. Real estate agents in general are pretty bad at getting the best value for their buyer and they are a dime a dozen.

With the current political situation, cost of everything goes up, salaries remain the same (except for your 40 year old working at McDonalds who must be saved by the government) lol

As someone currently in escrow on a San Francisco area home, I promise you it can be much, much worse. :D Today's "nuts" is tomorrow's "reasonable"

Back