Overnight Parking?

elseif

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
elseif
If my new career takes off like I expect it to, I'm considering getting a Cessna 421 in the future. Yes I know they're expensive, and that maintenance is very costly.

One thing in particular I've been curious about is what you do with your aircraft when you fly from your home city to another, and you're going to stay there overnight or even for a week or two? Do you pay for hangar space for the duration? Are there usually openings/do you call ahead? How much does it cost? Or what else should I know?

Thanks!

I would say that if you can comfortably afford to own, maintain, & fly a 421, hangaring and other FBO fees would be relatively inconsequential in comparison to other operational costs. I would think that most class deltas would be able to hangar and service that class of airplane

additionally, I’d say if you don’t know these answers already, you’re nowhere close to seriously considering a 421. Parking is about the least of things you should be worried about.

Oh my gosh! If you were asking a basic fundamental question like that you have no business in a 421. But, hey, why should profound ignorance stop you if you have the money.

Every journey begins with a step.
Quick anecdote for you. We had a local osteopathic Doctor Who like to fly and he went from a Piper archer to a 421 or something similar. He had the money. Him his wife and both children impacted short of the runway because of his lack of skill set in the 421. But that won’t happen to you. It is not like going from a Honda Civic to a Chevy Tahoe. But again, not my monkey not my circus and remember you asked the question.

additionally, I’d say if you don’t know these answers already, you’re nowhere close to seriously considering a 421. Parking is about the least of things you should be worried about.
So salty, do you think that the looming recession will slow down the, I have 100 hours on a private pilots license and I have money I can buy whatever plane I want, crowd?
The NTSB has been made busy with this recently

So salty, do you think that the looming recession will slow down the, I have 100 hours on a private pilots license and I have money I can buy whatever plane I want, crowd?
The NTSB has been made busy with this recently

I know you asked Salty, but from what I've seen there are basically two types of people buying up expensive airplanes. One type is those with FU money, a recession will not slow them down. The other is people who want the "life" and leverage themselves to the hilt. Those people will be screwed if the recession hits, which in turn will devastate the used market as they try to escape the crushing debt they signed on to. Both of these types are driving the used Cirrus prices above what a new one costs.

I follow Cirrus, there are a lot of people buying brand new SR22s and 22Ts before they even begin training then being turned loose with less than 100 hours as a ppl. It will be interesting to see if this impacts the accident rate, and sad if it does.

I'm on the side of 'it never hurts to ask questions, even naive ones'. This isn't so different from a 0 hour student coming here and asking about becoming an ATP and flying for the majors. It's not like a lot of learning isn't going to take place before that happens.

I'm on the side of 'it never hurts to ask questions, even naive ones'. This isn't so different from a 0 hour student coming here and asking about becoming an ATP and flying for the majors. It's not like a lot of learning isn't going to take place before that happens.

I think it's good to point out to low time or no time pilots how dangerous and unforgiving a fast twin can be to someone with limited experience. You don't know what you don't know.

If the guy knows nothing about aviation, you gotta cut him some slack. When I started bowling a few years back, a ball was a ball was a ball. Oh, how wrong I was.

Also he might be paying someone else to fly him around, and not flying it himself.

All good points. I just get tired of seeing new pilots with more money than sense, climb into their hot new toy and then slide into the side of a mountain because They didn’t know to ask about density altitude. Money does not compensate for lack of experience and good judgment.

If the guy knows nothing about aviation, you gotta cut him some slack. When I started bowling a few years back, a ball was a ball was a ball. Oh, how wrong I was.

Also he might be paying someone else to fly him around, and not flying it himself.
I see where you are trying to go. But has anyone ever, in the history of bowling died, due to bad bowling choices?

I see where you are trying to go. But has anyone ever, in the history of bowling died, due to bad bowling choices?
I certainly threatened bodily injury to mii spectators in Wii bowling, if that counts. Thankfully never broke a tv.

If my new career takes off like I expect it to, I'm considering getting a Cessna 421 in the future. Yes I know they're expensive, and that maintenance is very costly.

One thing in particular I've been curious about is what you do with your aircraft when you fly from your home city to another, and you're going to stay there overnight or even for a week or two? Do you pay for hangar space for the duration? Are there usually openings/do you call ahead? How much does it cost? Or what else should I know?

Thanks!

If this is the same away-destination every time, I would look into just renting a tiedown space and become a "resident" at that airport.

If it changes frequently, yeah, it's the day/overnight rate, and if it will be a week or two, I would attempt to negotiate something down.

As mentioned by some others, it will all be a small cost in the operation of a 421. :)

Cool problem to have! Always nice to see GA get put to work.

Well, when smoking used to be allowed in alleys...

The point is, you don't know what you don't know, and the only way to find out is to ask.

so a ball is not a ball?

Oh, it's still a ball, but there's choice of coverstocks, symmetrical core, asymmetrical core, aggressiveness. Then how you get it drilled. Pin up, pin down, do you want the ball to react early or late, do you want a lot of flare, little flare, abrupt reaction, smooth reaction...
That wouldn't have happened if they had been flying a Cessna 150?
No, because the 150 wouldn't have gotten off the ground with 4 people and 300lbs of baggage. :)

This thread reminds me of one I made on an electronics forum many years ago.

I asked for proper sources so I could learn to safely work with wiring and install a 220v outlet. Basically I asked what I needed to learn to become a professional; that is, to become them.

They told me that I was too ignorant to be asking such a question and I could hurt someone, and they banned me from the forum. In short they were saying: Only professionals should do this, and you sir are not allowed to become a professional.

I asked for proper sources so I could learn to safely work with wiring and install a 220v outlet. Basically I asked what I needed to learn to become a professional; that is, to become them.

They told me that I was too ignorant to be asking such a question because I could hurt someone, and banned me from the forum. In short they were saying: Only professionals should do this, and you sir are not allowed to become a professional.

To answer your question for cost it varies - a lot. You can get a hangar for a month in some parts of the country that you'll pay for a single night in other parts. You'll call ahead or email.

A good place to get started if you have 0 experience with general aviation is http://www.airnav.com/airports/ You can search for the airports you'll be going into there. Scroll to the bottom of the airport information page and you'll find FBOs that will have contact information and some with websites. Some will post their prices on websites, some you'll have to call. Some places depending on time of the year, leave it outside. Others you'll want to be inside.

It's almost like asking what does a house cost. Where? how big? etc...

To answer your question for cost it varies - a lot. You can get a hangar for a month in some parts of the country that you'll pay for a single night in other parts. You'll call ahead or email.

Yes. Thank you, some of the replies here were kind and I appreciate those.

They told me that I was too ignorant to be asking such a question and I could hurt someone, and they banned me from the forum. In short they were saying: Only professionals should do this, and you sir are not allowed to become a professional.
It’s a good comparison actually. Your question isn’t an advanced one, but the answer to your question really is “learn all the other stuff you need to know before you need to know this, and you will be able to answer this question yourself”.

You're definitely allowed to become a professional. Encouraged even. But it's not going to happen on an internet forum.

The question "how do I park my 421" will be answered when you park your 172 overnight a couple times.

Thanks!

welcome to poa.

how long have you been flying? What ratings have you earned so far? Do you currently own your airplane, or do you rent? What mission do you see for your flying needs in the near future? This info would be helpful, and is germane to the conversation.

a 421 is a great airplane. It’s also a great deal of airplane if you’re relatively new to flying. I think some folks assume that you’re a newly-minted private ASEL with more money than common sense. Some are jealous. Some are upset, though I’m not sure why. I’m curious. It can be a rough crowd.

I’m sure that someone here at poa has or has flown a 421 and might answer your questions. I hope they jump in to help. Soon.

Oh, it's still a ball, but there's choice of coverstocks, symmetrical core, asymmetrical core, aggressiveness. Then how you get it drilled. Pin up, pin down, do you want the ball to react early or late, do you want a lot of flare, little flare, abrupt reaction, smooth reaction...

Yeah, that's a lot of options of which I was unaware. I just pick a ball off the rack, with my main selection criteria being that my thumb won't get stuck. Bonus points if the cuts and gouges in the ball aren't too big, and if the ball isn't pink.

Of course, I bowl so badly and infrequently that I don't keep an average. I keep a total. Gonna get to 300 someday!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    137 bytes · Views: 5

Thanks!

Every airport and FBO is different. Call ahead to ask as pricing and policies change. Generally the rule of thumb is if you buy or top off fuel, at their premium price, that you get one night of free parking on the ramp. Sometimes the FBO adds facility fees so load up on the free snacks and drinks ;) and there might be other fees. As a twin, the fees are higher just because you’re a twin and you may or may not have a landing fee.

On a trip from Boston to Detroit, in January with a recent snow storm, you can see the fuel prices in foreflight, and I was also doing my long commercial xc, so I needed the 3 stops, I lined up to land at a non-towered airport and when close enough the runway was white! Full of snow, immediately I full powered and was like see ya! From then I looked for class Delta airports to land at, I didn’t want to play around and land at an airport without snow removal services or assistance should I need it. The extra $12 or whatever that I paid in my opinion was worth it and I think the fuel price was reasonable but even if it’s $1 more, you probably only use a portion of your fuel, let’s say I needed 25 gal, it may have been a mark up of a total of $37 or so but then you have a snow cleared airport, a nice toilet, can sit down and charge your iPad and grab some snacks and drinks. It was worth it to me.

Now for a hangar those I think for a single are $75-100/night, so how much do you love your bird? If a storm is coming in then you kind of need to hangar it, if not you also have insurance (or should). Sometimes they get full. For me in the Detroit area they said they were full, expected a storm (I checked and seemed ok to me), and would require me to taxi to the other end of the airport, after the long trip I was done and decided to leave the bird out on the ramp, it was fine. I think it depends on a combination of how much your plane is worth, the weather, personal feelings etc. A 421 is much more expensive than my bird and I don’t think the hangar costs are that much more as a % so it is better value for more expensive and newer aircraft to keep them that way.

welcome to poa.

how long have you been flying? What ratings have you earned so far? Do you currently own your airplane, or do you rent? What mission do you see for your flying needs in the near future? This info would be helpful, and is germane to the conversation.

a 421 is a great airplane. It’s also a great deal of airplane if you’re relatively new to flying.

I’m sure that someone here at poa has or has flown a 421 and might answer your questions. I hope they jump in to help. .

Not knowing about transient tie-downs costs would, in my mind, be a good indicator of a lack of experience. And why would somebody with experience flying a 421 have a better answer to the question. Are there special transient accommodations for 421s?

yes it can be rough here. But the OP Started with the question that he did, saying soon I may be getting into a high paying career. he did not start with I want to learn to fly a high performance twin. how can I start? Here are my flying credentials.

Not jealous or angry as you suggest. I just feel that there is an incremental process to learning to fly safely.

People search for the answer that they want to hear, Ignoring the rest.

Last edited:
Having a plane for a short time, I would recommend a step up before getting a 421 (and I think the 421 is an awesome bird! Haven’t flown one tho). It’s a lot of information to take in, process and properly implement.

Back