Any good places to stop for a night 300nm east of Denver?

Winger67

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry
Ferrying a plane from Chicago to Denver. Cruise on the PZL Koliber is only 95kts so I think I’ll make a stop within a few hours of Denver. There’s North Platte, NE but any other recommendations for a small town stop for dinner and a night stay? Maybe an airport near a lake or river?

I travel Chicago-Denver via GA a few times, but never stopped overnight. From a road trip I’ve stayed a night in Grand Island and it’s decent. I’ve had reliable fuel stops at KGRI and KBIE. Other than that, I’m a big fan of the Lincoln Highway Diner at KLBF.

This time of year, keep an extra eye out for migratory birds along the Platte River.

I stayed in Scotts Bluff a year ago. Had to Uber into town but otherwise a decent place. Maybe that's too close to Denver though.

I travel throughout the state of Nebraska at least two or three times a week. One thing I’ve noticed as I travel through the small towns (and big ones), they all have really nice airports. I don’t think you can go wrong stopping at any of the airports between Omaha and Ogallala. They all seem well-maintained and are close to places to eat and places to stay. Depending on where I’m at for the night I’ll usually stay in Ogallala, North Platte, Lexington, Kearny, York, Lincoln, Omaha, Norfolk, or Valentine if I’m north.

Looks like GRI is right on your route. It's been ages since I landed there but the folks were very nice there.

If you don't get some specific recommendations, just draw a straight line for your rote, backtrack 300nm, and look at services, hotels, food, and reviews. You are talking mid to western Nebraska or Kansas. Lots of good people out there.

Grand Island has lots of hotels and restaurants. It's pretty desolate for a long distance around. There's nothing in Aurora (I spent about 5 weeks working on my plane in the hangar there and stayed in York and/or Grand Island the rest of the time). Once you clear Omaha/Lincoln, Nebraska is a lot of nothing until you get to Grand Island and then more nothing until Scottsbluff.

I did my long solo XC to Scottsbluff, but that was in 1982 so I doubt it's much the same.

Thanks everyone! Looked at Kansas too and nothing really stood out. At least following a river is little more interesting to me so I'll plan GRI or KLBF if I can get there before the FBO closes.

Probably a little too far south/east but Lawrence, KS and Manhattan, KS are both neat college towns.

What about Oshkosh? :)

KOKS, small motel across the road.

edit: I just realized how old this thread is.

If you pick an airport close to an interstate you should have a selection of hotels and restaurants.

Plans changed and am delivering the plane towards NY. Looks like Cleveland Lakefront KBKL is a nice midway point.

Back