BabyPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BabyPilot
sorry Im idiot

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't know your stuff. You need to be able to explain things, if you didn't understand him, then the issue is most likely your deficient knowledge. Study more.

Omg, so it is totally legal to be so rude with people with accents.

No it's not and no one said that. But if you didn't know the answers or can't speak the language well enough to articulate the correct answers that is a concern. Was his action justified? I have no idea as I only have your side of he story.

I posted a relevant AC for you to read as guidance.

You’ve gotten this far, try not to let this one guy bring you down too much. How has communication been with your instructor? He/she most certainly wouldn’t have signed you off to take the check ride unless they thought you were ready.

Assuming you are truly prepared for the check ride, to me it sounds like a personality mismatch. I can certainly understand your frustration with the test turning into a lesson about non-aviation related American colloquialisms.

If it were me, I would forget about that guy, do a fake oral exam with your instructor and get a different DPE. Local instructors and pilots know the preferred DPEs to test with. Good luck!

Definitely missing the begining of this thread....did it get deleted or ?

Babypilot, this post smells of troll. But, if you are sincere here, quit being such a baby. The world is full of aholes, maybe the dpe was one. Your instructor said to go to another dpe, do that. It also sounds like you need to work on your English. Instead of stewing and thinking about revenge, move on and get it done. Don't let aholes live rent free in your head.

Definitely missing the begining of this thread....did it get deleted or ?

Op got discontinued by dpe and thinks the dpe was making fun of him. Dpe explained the deficiencies but the op didn't understand the dpe and is ****ed thinking the dpe was purposely using words the op couldn't understand. Apparently when the op was saying "maneuver " the dpe thought he was saying "manure". Op wants to know where he should report dpe. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Sounds like you've decided to let the guy win and be a victim. The only revenge is to do what you can to improve, try again, and prove him wrong. If you quit, you're only proving he was right.

Last edited:
This thread seems to have started in the midst of a conversation, so I don't know what the back story is. But accent is not a big deal. People from all over the world fly in the U.S, without any problems. Communicating over a scratchy radio trying to understand a foreign language can be tough. But that's what you signed up for. I recently flew with someone with a Mexican accent, and his ATC communication was fantastic, and way above average compared to a native born U.S pilot. It can be done, but no one said it would be easy.

i never had issues with my accent, Ive flown a lot of hours in ifr with communication with atc, but they used aviation language. I was just wonder is if legally can act like that. I thought that he should be neutral and professional. I mean I dont want him to make fun of ppl with accents, it is really discouraging and rude.
But as I understand from that topic he legally can insult people and thats terrible.
Ok, first off, no, it is not illegal to make fun of someone's accent. Not in America anyway. It's also not professional and disgusting. But it's something that got in your way to achieving your goal. It's up to you to deal with that. It's not acceptable when someone cuts you off on the highway, or on final, but you can focus on that, or fly the plane around them, land safely, and deal with the bad behavior later, if you choose to do so. Crashing into the other plane because they were wrong is a bad way to deal with it, and that's sort of what you are doing here. Sure, they deserved to be in an accident, but you didn't, so prevent it and be a hero. Same with your situation.

If you can't control your emotions and focus your attention long enough to push through this and finish up, then maybe being a pilot isn't right for you. Learning what to ignore and what to focus on to achieve your goals is a key skill of a good pilot. Are you a social justice warrior, or a pilot? You can be both, but you have to know when and how to use your time and resources effectively if you are to be successful. If you choose to focus on being a social justice warrior, and stamping out all unfairness, then, well, good luck to you.

Last edited:
My cfi signed me off after we went through every pts topic, I prepared my lesson plans, all of them are hand written...

Was this a checkride to become a CFI? From what I've been told, plenty of applicants fail this checkride on their first attempt. Try not to get discouraged. DPEs are not immune from being a jerk at times.

I know lots of native English speakers that I have difficulty understanding. I recall one flight commander whose southern drawl was so bad every Yankee in the flight would log a comm jamming event whenever he spoke on the radio. I wish I had taped some of the exchanges between him and ATC.

i never had issues with my accent, Ive flown a lot of hours in ifr with communication with atc, but they used aviation language. I was just wonder is if legally can act like that. I thought that he should be neutral and professional. I mean I dont want him to make fun of ppl with accents, it is really discouraging and rude.
But as I understand from that topic he legally can insult people and thats terrible.

You need to move on. If you felt disrespected, the time to deal with that was while it was happening, not after the fact. You didn't, now you feel bad, remember that and next time speak up while it's happening. You won't be able to punish him, nor should you try as you will just come across as sour grapes ( blaming the messenger for the message.) Suck it up, move on, try again. If your english is a problem again, then take some advanced english classes to fix it.

In fact you should do that anyway as you readily admit that you don't understand some of the idioms and common vernacular. You are not a dummy, stop crying, move on, and fix your deficiencies, especially if you will be teaching others.

People that come on to POA, blast their grievance to the world on their first message, don't like the response they get and delete the original message, are either...

1) posting drunk, or
2) not emotionally mature enough to accept and process the thoughts and opinions of other people.

Reschedule checkride with a different DPE, get your certificate (CFI?) and THEN decide if you still want to submit a complaint.

Having instructed a large number of students with English as there second language, I can tell you first hand it is difficult.

English is not an easy language because the same word can have very different definitions and uses. You have properly select words and the pronunciations have to be correct. Slang and regional accents can confuse even those of use that have English as a first language at times.

I know a Doc that learned English from Beatles records.

I’d say that while you’re not entitled to holding a flight instructor certificate, your students are entitled to an instructor who is thoroughly fluent in modern American English.

If you feel the DPE was disrespectful, it may be a good idea to report it to his FSDO. Maybe he is a jerk and needs to be called out. Maybe he didn't mean anything and was just trying to lighten the mood but wasn't successful. He would appreciate a bit of constructive feedback. Being constructive would be the best way to approach this...being harsh would just cause resentment and nothing will become of it.

You paid several hundred dollars for his services. He represents the FAA. He should be professional and, if not, needs to be told.

It is all too easy for those who don't face discrimination and ridicule to be dismissive of those who do. I give the OP the benefit of the doubt on this one. If it happened, he shouldn't just let it go... things need to change.

Im just scared that he may see it. Im scared thats it.
I got answer that his behaviour is totally fine. So I have nothing to complain about.
Case closed
I'm still not not clear what his behavior was, or whether it was totally fine. I guess I'll have to ask the folks who were up on POA between 11:00pm and 1:00am EST (EDT?).

@BabyPilot , you keep asking whether being rude is “legal.” Either you don’t understand what that means (language problem) or you truly believe someone should be prosecuted for offending you (attitude problem). Whichever problem it is, you need to fix it.

Now consider that the DPE should try to rattle you to see if you can keep your composure and think clearly despite stress and distractions. It seems like he found a way to get under your skin. You really need to work on that before it becomes a problem in the cockpit.

Im just scared that he may see it. Im scared thats it.
I got answer that his behaviour is totally fine. So I have nothing to complain about.
Case closed

Shoot, I forgot to include "self importance" in my list of cultural assimilations.

The DPE took your money and has not thought about you since you failed their checkride. He's not online searching for remarks and yelp reviews about his checkride, he answers to the FAA, not his customers. If he is like our local examiner batch, he's done 2 or 3 checkrides since yours. Even if he's the jerk you've portrayed him as, I would bet most of those other rides passed despite any insensitive remarks.

If he is a frequent member on this forum and saw your remarks, it could only:

1. Make him reflect that maybe he used insensitive language and apologize, or

2. Make him defend his "good name" and tell us just how badly you bombed your checkride and how much of a factor the language barrier really was.

You want to be an instructor. How will you handle a student who is rude to you, or expresses an opinion you dislike?

Why I should torture myself by working with person who is rude or hate me?
This is an excellent question. You should take some time to reflect on that question.

What if you're in the air, and ATC is rude to you? Or your captain? Or your first officer? Or a passenger? Are you just going to jump out of the airplane so you don't have to be tortured by the rude person?

Suck it up buttercup. You're going to have to learn to deal with rude people, or you're never going to get what you want in life, unless you want to live like a hermit in the woods.

You’re going to have much disappointment and unhappiness in your life. Oh well; your choice.

Hmmm, I don't think he was a troll. Poor guy.

Nope. But he's prone to deleting posts when he doesn't like the answers he receives, so he seems like a bit of a snowflake. That reflects an attitude that isn't conducive to correction or learning. I think he's in for a bumpy life.

I know a Doc that learned English from Beatles records.
30 years ago I knew a guy who learned English working in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. I spoke to his sister a couple times for translation lol

@BabyPilot , you keep asking whether being rude is “legal.” Either you don’t understand what that means (language problem) or you truly believe someone should be prosecuted for offending you (attitude problem). Whichever problem it is, you need to fix it.

Now consider that the DPE should try to rattle you to see if you can keep your composure and think clearly despite stress and distractions. It seems like he found a way to get under your skin. You really need to work on that before it becomes a problem in the cockpit.

There are some countries where it is indeed against the law to be rude. A DPE can certainly distract as part of the evaluation, but being rude is unprofessional and uncalled for under any circumstance. If I were to experience a truly rude DPE, I would discontinue the checkride and inform the DPE that his behavior is unprofessional.

I listened to an ATC tape of a student pilot who was lost and disoriented on a solo flight. Seemed like her native language was Chinese, and as her stress levels increased, her ability to communicate became worse. The controller was trying his best to calm her down and get her pointed somewhere where she could get down, but it wasn't working. It was an incredibly sad thing to listen to, she didn't make it.

Point being, if someone gets flustered enough in a checkride to lose it, then as others have said, perhaps they don't have the skills or temperament yet to fly. Part of what an examiner is supposed to do, as far as I know, is introduce a little bit of stress or distraction to the process, to make sure the candidate can handle it. It's about flying an airplane, not teaching kindergarten. Politeness isn't in the top 3 things you need to do.

Back