Muncie Indiana (KMIE)

Rcmutz

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rcmutz
I read on line that the restaurant on the field, Merk’s, is now out of business. Airport did not renew their lease. Does anyone know if someone else has gone in?

I read on line that the restaurant on the field, Merk’s, is now out of business. Airport did not renew their lease. Does anyone know if someone else has gone in?
Bummer! Merk's was one of our favorite stops when we fly south to Nashville or Memphis.

Last edited:

Just to be accurate, Muncie Aviation did not renew the lease, not the airport.

Muncie Aviation posted an explanation of the action after they received numerous complaints. They stated the restaurant was very behind on paying rent and despite attempting to work with them did not make any progress.

Muncie Aviation posted on Merk's FB page claiming they leased the building to Merks for $0 and that they could no longer maintain that arrangement as Merks had consistently failed to pay its bills.

Specifically they said "We at Muncie Aviation are sorry to have to end our relationship with Merks Family Dining. Just so everyone reading this is clear, Muncie Aviation has never charged Merks any rent. We have provided everything for free since the restaurant opened. All the way down to the tables, coolers, liquor license, etc. Merks was only responsible for the utilities. Merks has continually been in arrears, and it has now stretched into 5-figure territory. We believe it would be dishonoring to our nearly 100 employees to continue this relationship. As much as we love our community, it is not realistic for us to continue to subsidize a restaurant. The current lease is valid through the end of the year. The December 1st closing is Merks decision. We wish the Merkel family well. Social media is obviously not the best place for a professional discussion. Please call our office if any other discussion is necessary 1-800-289-7141."

I flew in there once but my family member who lives in Muncie gave a poor review of the restaurant so I did not try it. He did say it used to be better in the past but had gotten worse. I wish someone would come up with a good way to get from the airport to the nearby cardinal greenway trail on my folding bike without having to fight busy road traffic.

Muncie Aviation posted an explanation of the action after they received numerous complaints. They stated the restaurant was very behind on paying rent and despite attempting to work with them did not make any progress.

Muncie Aviation posted on Merk's FB page claiming they leased the building to Merks for $0 and that they could no longer maintain that arrangement as Merks had consistently failed to pay its bills.

Specifically they said "We at Muncie Aviation are sorry to have to end our relationship with Merks Family Dining. Just so everyone reading this is clear, Muncie Aviation has never charged Merks any rent. We have provided everything for free since the restaurant opened. All the way down to the tables, coolers, liquor license, etc. Merks was only responsible for the utilities. Merks has continually been in arrears, and it has now stretched into 5-figure territory. We believe it would be dishonoring to our nearly 100 employees to continue this relationship. As much as we love our community, it is not realistic for us to continue to subsidize a restaurant. The current lease is valid through the end of the year. The December 1st closing is Merks decision. We wish the Merkel family well. Social media is obviously not the best place for a professional discussion. Please call our office if any other discussion is necessary 1-800-289-7141."

Thanks...As Paul Harvey used to say.... “for the rest of the story”. I only hope that Muncie Aviation is able to get someone else in there, even if it is just for the weekends. My flying buddies and I liked to go there about once a month.

I read that they have non-restaurant plans for that space, but I can’t vouch for that.

Just looked on line. Looks like a new restaurant went in. Vince’s at the Airport. Probably should call before going.

Kind of a sad ending, really.
Went there several times pre-covid, good sausage gravy. Great to sit out on the patio on a nice morning.
Tower could get a little salty about run ups, as I remember.

The building was put up to be the “New” airport terminal when Muncie still had commercial service, but Britt pulled out before it was completed, and it never saw use as that.

Anyone been to the National Model Aviation Museum?

Anyone been to the National Model Aviation Museum?

Yep. My dad donated a lot of old (50’s and 60’s) magazines to it as well as some old kits. Another hobby I intend to get back into this winter.

Back