30% increase in flying cost.

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Sigh... Nope; DEEP sigh.

I rent 172s. Through a club. Rates for 172s just went to $130.00+tax.per hour wet.... From $100.00+tax wet.

Now, some of this is due to the war. Some due to inflation in general...

Now, in order to avoid the ban hammer, I won't delve into my beliefs politically.

BUT,

I. AM. NOT. HAPPY.

WAH, WAH.

How much did it increase over the previous 5 years? (Not as a political statement, either, but were they keeping up with inflation prior to now?)

It entirely depends on location. I don't know where OP is at, but there were quite a few little FBOs in upper Midwest, small town airports charging right around $100/hr less than a year ago.

Flight school from where I rent often has 172M models for 147 Hobbs (up $2), with another $3 coming soon.

Wow. The club I recently joined rents their 172m for $95 wet. Of course it's real ugly and has no gps. That will have to go up though at some point as cmi is up to $7.33 for gas.

Oh, I know... I'm blessed to pay what I'm paying... And the reason I joined the club was their low rates... When I first started a couple of years ago... It was $80 wet. Great club, great prices.. but it's all relative...

Oh, I know... I'm blessed to pay what I'm paying... And the reason I joined the club was their low rates... When I first started a couple of years ago... It was $80 wet. Great club, great prices.. but it's all relative...
Assuming "a couple of years ago" meant 2 years, that was a great price. Even a few years beyond that, it was a great price. Last year I paid $98/hour for a C-152.

Meh, those aren’t bad prices… and believe it or not, the club isn’t making a whole lot of anything off of it for that price.

Go fly, be happy!

172SP with gtn650 and dual G5s, autopilot - $127.

Club's a not for profit endeavor... And again... I know $130 is good even for a 172D... But, it's still a 30% increase... Gas hasn't gone up 30%yet... I'm sure it will, though. So sometime after that it'll go up again...

Sigh... Nope; DEEP sigh.

I rent 172s. Through a club. Rates for 172s just went to $130.00+tax.per hour wet.... From $100.00+tax wet.

Now, some of this is due to the war. Some due to inflation in general...

Now, in order to avoid the ban hammer, I won't delve into my beliefs politically.

BUT,

I. AM. NOT. HAPPY.

WAH, WAH.

I am wondering why a club is charging tax. Is that normal?

It is here... But no tax if you have an instructor aboard...

No, but insurance has and that’s really the bigger driver of the two.
We had an increase for insurance to $100an hr. Shortly after I joined... It was $80...

With prices like that, you can see why I joined the club....

I'm not really complaining about the price I'm paying, as much as about the increase.

The increase being due (IMO) to the political and geopolitical turmoil within the last year or so.

We had an increase for insurance to $100an hr. Shortly after I joined... It was $80...

With prices like that, you can see why I joined the club....

I'm not really complaining about the price I'm paying, as much as about the increase.

The increase being due (IMO) to the political and geopolitical turmoil within the last year or so.

As much as you would like to blame the current administration for your increased flying club prices, you would be incorrect. While certain policies can affect long term prices, the current rise in crude oil or the increased insurance rates have nothing to do with that particular individual. What is the reason the flying club is telling you?

It sounds like you’ve been getting a great deal up until just recently. I remember paying $100/hr for a DA20 back when I was training in 2007. Although I haven’t rented since those days, I remember a lot of places would keep their rates the same and then tack on hourly fuel surcharges when the fuel prices spiked.

Wow. The club I recently joined rents their 172m for $95 wet. Of course it's real ugly and has no gps. That will have to go up though at some point as cmi is up to $7.33 for gas.
What are dues? Initial and Monthly? Kinda hard to compare hourly rates from one club to the next without factoring in dues.

What are dues? Initial and Monthly? Kinda hard to compare hourly rates from one club to the next without factoring in dues.
$100 initial, $50/ month. I'm not convinced they're breaking even. There's about 15 members, but it seems like only 2 or 3 actually fly the plane. It'll be interesting to see this summer. The mx officer is an a&p, and I think he does oil & tire changes for free.

I've been paying $189/hr wet rate for the cheapest 172 model nearest to me. It sucks!

With the old price, was the club maintaining an adequate overhaul reserve?
Yep. But our A&P is a board member... Our old price went up because of insurance. One member balled up a gorgeous 170. And we lost our 182 to a hard landing ... We now have 4 172s.

Initial membership: $248
Monthly: $48

140-180 members... But everyone on the field with their own aircraft (and partners) in hangars and shade hangars is a member. 3 of the rental birds are used for instruction or PPL and above. 1 is for PPL and above only.

As I said, I know I've got it good.

But, a 30% increase is still a hit.

And while I do blame the current occupant and congress critters for most of our woes, I also understand that some of this might have happened anyway.

I know aviation is an expensive avocation. I budget carefully to afford it.

I fly a Cherokee 180 with dual G5s and GTN750 and a brand new engine for $90 an hour. Pur other plane is a tidy 150 for $60 an hour. Both wet. All depends on what your club is trying to do and how it's run.

My club charges 100 wet for our 172, 90 if you volunteer on club duties. It just went up 10/hour b/c of fuel. That 172RG w/ an AP I mentioned in another thread rents for 185 wet. I was hemming and hawing over that price but this thread makes me realize that price isn't completely awful.

Just offer to ferry aircraft for just expenses - you can then do lots of flying and save a ton of money at the same time. Win, win.

Not sure I could fly our 172 for $100 an hour all in. That is a great price. Even at $130 it is a deal. $144 here for a 172.

I was paying $99 Hr wet.

Back in 2002...

Club's a not for profit endeavor... And again... I know $130 is good even for a 172D... But, it's still a 30% increase... Gas hasn't gone up 30%yet... I'm sure it will, though. So sometime after that it'll go up again...

Our partnership is a non-profit, we own a 75 C172M. Our dry rate had to increase from $65/hr to $80hr this year, so a 23% increase. Over the last two years, our fixed costs have increased as have variable costs since the plane is being flown 2x-3x more than it historically has. We are at 1550 TBO and have to keep in mind that expense is looming (and increasing) in addition to our normal mx costs.

We are fiscally conservative and have an A&P member that donates a lot of our mx labor, but we have to keep in mind we don’t want a loan or special assessment to pay for that motor and associated costs.

A couple members who voted against the increase decided to look elsewhere. One decided there was no better deal in the area and stopped looking, the other is selling his share because flying is too expensive for him now.

Our club is still at 125 and 100/hr tach for our 172SP and 172M, but I'm sure that'll change down the road. We have the funds to eat a short term fuel price spike, but there's only so long we can keep these prices as low as they are.

Our club rates have hiked up as well. And with gas prices surging, and with inflation on everything else, it's going to go up again. I'm going to unfortunately be flying less at this rate.

Back