Less Than Truthful With ATC

Thought about this thread. This was today on the way to Boise. 17.3 nm from Hailey (Sun Valley) ID, 16,000 feet. Everyone got the airport in sight? About the middle right of the Pic.

0292FC3C-12D3-4DEE-8E4A-DE1D78992B0F.jpeg

Cats are wonderful. I love cats. Especially sliced thin, over toast, with some Hollandaise...

Reminds me of the old joke ... "yes I love cats, but I can't eat a whole one!"

BTW, it's a joke. We've had a Maine coon for over 15 years and he will make you adore cats if you don't already.

Cats are worse than people!

Dogs is where it's at.
Dogs are stupid. Why else would they like people.

Reminds me of the joke:
Q: Why did God make women so beautiful, but so stupid?
A: God made women beautiful so men would love them. He made them stupid so they would love men back.

I typically go the other way with my fibbing. When ATC is constantly pimping me "do you have the airport/traffic to follow in sight" because they don't want to have to deal with getting me separation and want to shovel it all off on me. Sometime I may delay the "I have the airport in sight" call until the controller fixes the separation.

Just to be clear, this is in the work plane. In GA I really don't care. It just seems the controllers in MEM really push the separation and are itching to give you "cleared the visual, traffic to follow is 12 o'clock and 3 miles, 757 indicating 110 knots. You have 70 knots of overtake. Contact tower. Good luck to ya!"

So I get the brevity idea, but why not just say, "Not in sight, but we can cancel [IFR or VFRFF]." Granted, that might be less applicable on a MVFR day or when there is a scattered layer between you and the field, but still, it's totally honest that you don't have the field in sight, but also gives ATC the opportunity to get rid of you.

This is why Contact approaches were invented...

I've been in solid IMC with a VFR 152 in front of me, ATC asking them "say flight conditions" and having them report clear (hah!), then calling the traffic to me... Yeah, I had to shoot the ILS to get in, following a minute or two behind the 152. No way he was VMC, but...

Of course, I've also been sandwiched between two planes on approach who both reported light rime, and there I was in the middle reporting negative icing... And then I landed and discovered a tiny strip of ice right at the stagnation point which wasn't visible at all from the cockpit. :dunno:

Back