Dumb war question

I think it comes from Californians. Everywhere else it would be "interstate 5", or "interstate 405" or "us highway 101", but in California it's "the 5", "the 405", and "the 101."

Only in SoCal. The rest of the state doesn't seem to have that particular affectation (except for the SoCal transplants).

Last I heard the plan was to supply our aircraft to other European countries that already fly them so that they can in turn send airplanes that Ukraine already owns to bolster their efforts. Sending A10's and F35's to a country that has no pilots with flight time in them and no maintenance or equipment to maintain them is a waste. I think Poland already has a few US fighters in their fleet so they will be sending Mig's to Ukraine.

Edit: Did a little research, seems they do have F16's along with Mig-29 and Su-22 with a bunch of F-35's on order or already delivered. They will likely take some F35's from us and in exchange send some Mig-29's to Ukraine.
Airplane-laundering!

I wish Putie’s inner circle would grow a pair and over throw him. Surely they see how f***ed up this mess is. They seem to be so scared of this maniac that they pee their pants if he looks at them crosseyed.

As to Poland supplying fighters, they could always say the Ukrainians stole ‘em.

I wish Putie’s inner circle would grow a pair and over throw him. Surely they see how f***ed up this mess is. They seem to be so scared of this maniac that they pee their pants if he looks at them crosseyed.

Putinocide makes Clintonocide look like childs play.

My son says we need to start a fund to save as many "smoking hot Ukrainian chicks" as possible.
His best friend, Mike (my son from different parents), Came home in February from an overseas assignment with a Ukrainian girlfriend.
She claims to be just average among her friends.
If she is average, then ....... dang!

Sorry, no pictures. :)
I used to frequent a Web site that had photos of Ukrainian babes looking to date foreign men, so I know what you mean. (Sadly, that site seems to have gone away years ago.)

I think it comes from Californians. Everywhere else it would be "interstate 5", or "interstate 405" or "us highway 101", but in California it's "the 5", "the 405", and "the 101."

Nah... it is the da Golden State (5), the da San Diego (405) and da Hollywood or da Ventura (101) if you're west of da San Diego.... got it? :):D

It is supposed to be Ukraine. I think "the Ukraine" is a holdover from when it was part of the Soviet Union and was referred to as a region ...

I just thought all of you were from Ohio State as I always hear the players say," THE Ohio State Buckeyes" during NFL introductions :D

My son says we need to start a fund to save as many "smoking hot Ukrainian chicks" as possible.
His best friend, Mike (my son from different parents), Came home in February from an overseas assignment with a Ukrainian girlfriend.
She claims to be just average among her friends. If she is average, then ....... dang! Sorry, no pictures. :)

I vote we all sanction Shepherd for this .... this DEFINITELY requires immediate moderator response :confused::eek:;)

Wait, is it a “dumb war” question or a “dumb” war question?

Same reason certain phobias aren't actually a phobia. People are idiots and use incorrect terms and names all the time.

Lol. Ed dropping the truth bombs like Putin on fleeing refugees.

Why do people say "the Ukraine" but not "the Canada" ? Is it me?

I guess I'm not paying attention...this thread is the first reference I've seen/heard using "the Ukraine"

so this is just a spit-balling guess based on that voice in my head that says things that seem logical to me but probably to nobody else...... maybe it's a region thing
such as "the Ukraine region"
kinda like folks say "the Med" when it could be Spain, France, Italy, etc...
Could it be that the Ukraine region was sort of like the USSR vacation spot equivalent to "the Med"?

She claims to be just average among her friends.
If she is average, then ....... dang!

Sorry, no pictures. :)
Some Chinese were saying something along those lines not too long ago.
https://supchina.com/2022/02/24/som...krainian-refugees-to-the-disgust-of-netizens/

Last edited:
Same reason certain phobias aren't actually a phobia. People are idiots and use incorrect terms and names all the time.
Yes. Yes, they do. Some people also believe things that aren't true, either.

While I don't think it will result in WWIII it certainly is playing out just like it.
As a former KC-135 pilot, a large part of our mission was to support the nuclear bomber leg of the strategic triad. B-52s and KC-135s, ever since the SAC days, were constantly exercised to make sure they could meet the mission timing in case the balloon ever went up. This was more prevalent in the SAC days where tankers and bombers were on constant, 24-hour alert.

Then, in 1991, when the alert came down, we still retained that mission, albeit without the round the clock presence. But, in order to have crews still proficient in those procedures, we participated in periodic exercises and inspections to practice and evaluate how crews and leadership would respond in case they were needed. Usually these exercises would last several days and be "scenario based," meaning intel messages would be created and released to the leadership which then would be acted upon. The exercises were always meant to be realistic, so it always started with messages early on about rising tensions, then outward aggression which would cause crews to be put on alert, with the culmination of the week being a launch of the strategic forces.

What's going on right now is eerily reminiscent of those exercises. This is exactly how they would start. Country A invades Country B. Country A isn't doing so well in the invasion, so they decide to use a tactical battlefield nuke, then it escalates from there.

I'm not saying that that's how it'll go down, but man, it sure does look familiar.

Oh boy!

PS - so far Judy's explanation made the most sense, I.e the Balkans, the Mediterranean, etc

PPS - I don't understand 'the 5' thing either but at this point it just sounds right. It would be awkward to say to somebody "I drove to LA, yeah I took 5"

I wish I had the skills to go over there and do my best. But, I don't have any MIG 29 time, and no actual training for warfare of any kind. I do know of a couple people with the "skills" going over there, not pilots though.

If we were to do anything - and I'm not saying we should - the target isn't convoys. The first target is their aircraft. All of them. That wouldn't be easy, but I'd guess we could get most of them in about a week. Long term, I think it's pretty clear that they really shouldn't be allowed to have any, but that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. Other than their leadership, they're great people, and they'd be much better off and better for us and the world if they were disarmed.

PPS - I don't understand 'the 5' thing either but at this point it just sounds right. It would be awkward to say to somebody "I drove to LA, yeah I took 5"

In Midwesternese, that would be, "I drove to LA and yeah, I took highway 5". Saying just 5 sounds weird, though that's probably because it's not a road I'm familiar with. If you asked how I got to work in Minnesota, I'd tell you, "I took 22 to 16 and then got on 90 to 169." Using only numbers isn't as weird as it sounds. :)

If we were to do anything - and I'm not saying we should - the target isn't convoys. The first target is their aircraft. All of them. That wouldn't be easy, but I'd guess we could get most of them in about a week. Long term, I think it's pretty clear that they really shouldn't be allowed to have any, but that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. Other than their leadership, they're great people, and they'd be much better off and better for us and the world if they were disarmed.

I disagree. The first targets should be the Russians air defenses. But the Ukrainians don’t have the capability to identify and offensively target those. Nearly simultaneously, they’d need to attack and neutralize Russian awacs capabilities, and engage their air forces in the air and on the ground. But the ukranians don’t have that capability either. Once air superiority is attained, the convoys are the main targets. But since they cannot complete those first two tasks, they will never attain air superiority, or even parity. The convoys are the logistics and support that allow the artillery, armor and infantry to function. The bullets, bombs and beans. But the ukranians are unable to destroy those convoys. So regardless of how bravely the ukranians armies and people fight, the superior weight of Russian artillery, armor and infantry will eventually grind them down and win.
Air Superiority is absolutely essential to win a war, but it cannot win the war. In the end, it always comes down to boots on the ground, unless you can take away those convoys.
If not, you’ll get a bloody, slogging mess of a war. And that’s what we’re seeing now.

In Midwesternese, that would be, "I drove to LA and yeah, I took highway 5". Saying just 5 sounds weird, though that's probably because it's not a road I'm familiar with. If you asked how I got to work in Minnesota, I'd tell you, "I took 22 to 16 and then got on 90 to 169." Using only numbers isn't as weird as it sounds. :)

In Michigan it would be "take I-96 to 131 to M115". 131 is US131 but we never say the US, we do say I for interstate and M for Michigan state highways.

In Michigan it would be "take I-96 to 131 to M115". 131 is US131 but we never say the US, we do say I for interstate and M for Michigan state highways.

Interstates are always "I-something", but other than that, it depends on your familiarity with said road. It could highway 22 or county road 90, or just 22 and 90. LOL

Back