Chrome, Cermichrome, Nickle, cerminil

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
My Cherokee had 4 Cermichrome cylinders installed at overhaul. (as denoted by a double orange stripe, and log entry) I recently (3 months ago) sent two off for repair. Just got them back last week. Opened the first box, and got that one installed, didn't think anything of it, as it had orange stripe. Next one I got in place and one nut started, and noticed that it had silver instead of orange. Called the OH shop about it, I was told that it's nickle, instead of chrome. I do recall that they said one was worn beyond limits, and they had it re-plated, so mabe that's the one. Hard for me to understand how it could be that badly worn in under 600 hours. And not show signs while in use.
But anyway, I now have 2 Cermichrome, one Chrome, and one Nickle, cylinder.

My Cherokee had 4 Cermichrome cylinders installed at overhaul. (as denoted by a double orange stripe, and log entry) I recently (3 months ago) sent two off for repair. Just got them back last week. Opened the first box, and got that one installed, didn't think anything of it, as it had orange stripe. Next one I got in place and one nut started, and noticed that it had silver instead of orange. Called the OH shop about it, I was told that it's nickle, instead of chrome. I do recall that they said one was worn beyond limits, and they had it re-plated, so mabe that's the one. Hard for me to understand how it could be that badly worn in under 600 hours. And not show signs while in use.
But anyway, I now have 2 Cermichrome, one Chrome, and one Nickle, cylinder.

Hard for me to understand why you are having cylinder issues at 600 hours on a Cherokee.

Exhaust leak ate up the flange. Not having the tool to re-surface them, I sent them off for repair.

Had I known that It would take over 3 months to get them back, i would have built the tooling, and
surfaced the flanges while on the airplane.

I hear there are some lesser known shops turning out faster overhaul jobs. It seems the more well known shops are getting hammered from a lack of available new cylinders.

I don't know why we're seeing widespread lack of supplies in seemingly all quadrants these days.

Back