Drone Training

Retro Manger

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Retro Manger
Hey folks!
I am wondering whats the procedure of getting remote license.
I have FAA Private based on foreign license. Have pretty good idea about the US rules and airspace.
What don't know is should I enroll in some kind of course or training, or I should get myself up to speed with the written and go and do it /probably some form of endorsement is needed/.
If somebody has done it, please advise. I would like to get it as a stand alone license, not connected with my other one in any way.
Thanx!

If you are talking about a Part 107 drone certificate, I did it not too long ago. If you already have at least a private pilot certificate, you do a free online course which yields a completion certificate. If you don't have a pilot certificate, you study for and do an FAA written exam at cost. Assuming the former, you need a CFI or other representative to help you push through your request in IACRA. After that, your Part 107 certificate arrives in the mail.

I don't think I've ever touched a drone in my life and the whole process took me 1-2 hours of coursework plus a few minutes of admin with my CFI.

I want to do it as a stand alone, as if I don't have pilot certificate.
Even if I wanted to do the other way, I don't have a current flight review and don't have plans to do one soon.
So I am planning to go as a fresh pilot.

I don't think having a current flight review matters. You just need to have a pilot certificate (double check the rules yourself of course, I'm just doing this from memory). The only difference, if you want to pretend you don't already have a pilot certificate, is that you need to take an FAA written exam instead of an online course. You can take it if you want... You should be able to research pretty easily what to study to prepare for that exam.

You do need a flight review according to what I've read and the form you fill. Just dug that up on the web.
I do remember that for my foreign based I had to present endorsement for the written and I got that from Sporty's online course which saved time. Not sure how it will go for the drone though.
Any ideas and experience will be much appreciated.

There are two ways to get your Part 107 Certificate. #1 is to take a written exam (70% pass) which goes over drone regulations and a bunch of airspace and CRM and other things you've covered in pilot training. #2 is to have a current flight review in the last 24 months, take a short online course, and get signed off by a FSDO, DPE, ACR, or CFI.

Given that it's a knowledge test, I'd suggest computer based training. Then you can go at whatever speed you want, and they usually include unlimited practice tests. Plus it's pretty inexpensive. I used Dauntless (https://www.dauntless-soft.com/) on an Android tablet for my private pilot, and now have it for my instrument. No affiliation, I just liked the software. One minor thing with them, pick the platform you want - ios, windows, whatever, and I think you're locked into that. On the plus side, it never expires, and you can use it off-line. So if you're traveling and don't have wifi it works fine. Or at least that was the case with my Android version. PC might be different.

Do any of these give you an endorsement or that is not required thing to have at the testing facility?

An update:
I bought a prep and I am pretty much ready for the written. Was planning to do it next week, however, I got this advice:

Wait till you finish your other training and then apply for UAV license ------> /I am somewhere in the end stages of my Private Glider/.

The thing is, I am not sure when I will be able complete the glider, since I am 7 hours drive from where I trained. No current plans to go back there, since I am pretty busy with work. Actually work disrupted my training last time, I was 3 days away from a Checkride. I had to stop and go back to take care of business.

The confusing thing is, currently I have two US licenses:

1. A Foreign Based PPL
2. A new US Student License /just got the license number this week/ which was requested for my Glider checkride. That was required, since Glider isn't an add-on to my Foreign based, but a stand-alone thing.

...and..

I was thinking about getting the Drone to have a separate plastic form the other two mentioned above.

So, If I apply for the UAV written now, will they give me a separate plastic for the Drone,
or
will they attach it to my Foreign based /which beats any logic in my head/
or
I should follow the advice and wait to complete the Private Glider and then add the Drone?

As I've said, I am ready for the written and I really want to get over with it until I am fresh on the knowledge base for the exam.
It is a bit confusing, I know, but any answer will be appreciated and most likely - helpful.

An update:
I bought a prep and I am pretty much ready for the written. Was planning to do it next week, however, I got this advice:

Wait till you finish your other training and then apply for UAV license ------> /I am somewhere in the end stages of my Private Glider/.

The thing is, I am not sure when I will be able complete the glider, since I am 7 hours drive from where I trained. No current plans to go back there, since I am pretty busy with work. Actually work disrupted my training last time, I was 3 days away from a Checkride. I had to stop and go back to take care of business.

The confusing thing is, currently I have two US licenses:

1. A Foreign Based PPL
2. A new US Student License /just got the license number this week/ which was requested for my Glider checkride. That was required, since Glider isn't an add-on to my Foreign based, but a stand-alone thing.

...and..

I was thinking about getting the Drone to have a separate plastic form the other two mentioned above.

So, If I apply for the UAV written now, will they give me a separate plastic for the Drone,
or
will they attach it to my Foreign based /which beats any logic in my head/
or
I should follow the advice and wait to complete the Private Glider and then add the Drone?

As I've said, I am ready for the written and I really want to get over with it until I am fresh on the knowledge base for the exam.
It is a bit confusing, I know, but any answer will be appreciated and most likely - helpful.

It's up to you: if you are eager to get your Part 107 certificate and don't mind spending the ~$150 for the written test, you can just take that written test now and you'll be issued the plastic card for the UAS Remote Pilot rating. If you wait until you get your Part 61 Private Pilot Glider certificate, then you can just take the free online UAS training class @ FAASafety.gov (instead of the in-person written exam that you have to pay for) and then have a CFI or DPE complete the paperwork to be issued a Remote Pilot certificate. Either way, you'll get a separate UAS plastic card.

The foreign based PPL alone won't accomplish anything here; you'd need to convert that to a US PPL first and have a flight review within the last 24 months to be eligible to apply for the UAS certificate via the Part 61 route.

I prefer spending the $175, than to have to do the tests once again. I am bored to death with those.
I though about the foreign, but as you mentioned I don't have the flight review, which expired last month and I was planning the glider checkride to fulfill that.
So, I probably will go and get the new plastic.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

Would like to add, this is one of my two favorite forums Worldwide. I find the right answers to most of my questions and participants are nice and helpful.
Thank you people!

Back