What's with "SEEYUH!"?

I heard a couple yesterday that were comical. It’s a practiced art, like a meow on guard.

Somewhere in 30+ years of flying I got into the habit of acknowledging a termination or handoff with "so long". Not sure why, it just sounds better than a simple acknowledgement.

I was once admonished by an instructor in the simulator for saying "okay" quite often. I really didn't care that it bothered him but I did think about what caused me to say it. I read some interesting articles about human thought processing and one thing that was regularly mentioned was this habit. So what is it? You're using a verbal word or phrase to separate two actions. So I would say "okay" whenever I/we were switching from one task to another or I was mentally switching my thought process from one thing to another. This doesn't explain why all pilots use these phrases but in many cases the words are being used to allow a change from one thing to another. So a frequency change, while not unexpected, suddenly arrives in your ears. You are making a change from, lets say, enroute to approach phase. There is a physical and verbal change taking place almost simultaneously. This requires you to quickly change thought processes and using the word or phrase helps you draw a line, separating one thing from the next thing. In the sim, when learning a new aircraft the changes come fast and furious and require you to switch very quickly from one emergency procedure to another and then the approach, missed approach, holding etc. Each thing must be cut out of your thought process so as to now concentrate on another. Many times the word or phrase becomes a habit and you may be consciously unaware that you are using it. Okay?

What's with shouting "SEEYUH" in your deepest voice at the end of handoff readbacks? I feel like I hear that a lot nowadays (from pilots and controllers)- mostly jet guys(?). Has this always been a thing, just maybe becoming more common? Since the 80's, if I'm sayin' it- I say "see ya" in a normal tone. I feel like I'm being left out :D.

"NXXXXX, follow the Airbus 319."
"Follow the short bus, NXXXXX."

Some things are clever. Others, are just dumb.

I was once admonished by an instructor in the simulator for saying "okay" quite often. I really didn't care that it bothered him but I did think about what caused me to say it. I read some interesting articles about human thought processing and one thing that was regularly mentioned was this habit. So what is it? You're using a verbal word or phrase to separate two actions. So I would say "okay" whenever I/we were switching from one task to another or I was mentally switching my thought process from one thing to another. This doesn't explain why all pilots use these phrases but in many cases the words are being used to allow a change from one thing to another. So a frequency change, while not unexpected, suddenly arrives in your ears. You are making a change from, lets say, enroute to approach phase. There is a physical and verbal change taking place almost simultaneously. This requires you to quickly change thought processes and using the word or phrase helps you draw a line, separating one thing from the next thing. In the sim, when learning a new aircraft the changes come fast and furious and require you to switch very quickly from one emergency procedure to another and then the approach, missed approach, holding etc. Each thing must be cut out of your thought process so as to now concentrate on another. Many times the word or phrase becomes a habit and you may be consciously unaware that you are using it. Okay?

I believe that is called an audible pause. Plenty of people say "yes" or "y'know," as well as the standard "uhhhh" or "eh?"

One of the MEM tower controllers says “Seeyah” every time he’s working. It seems like he works the morning arrivals which can crazy busy with all the FedEx airplanes coming in for the day sort. I always liked it because even when it got busy with weather and traffic he seemed very chill, not got ruffled.

Somewhere in 30+ years of flying I got into the habit of acknowledging a termination or handoff with "so long". Not sure why, it just sounds better than a simple acknowledgement.

Oh, that’s what it is... I always thought it was schlong... just sayin.

It’s like the only dirty word you can say on the radio.

I think the days of having your very own trademark greeting or farewell are pretty much over. Not likely to be another old "Toot-toot" who got the nickname from the first words he uttered when he checked in on a new frequency. Personally, if you're trying to be "cute", you aren't. If you say the same thing once in awhile when it comes from the heart, it's good. Just don't say it every stinkin' time — and say it after your frequency and call sign.

Seeyuh beats “with you”.
During my initial controller (AIC) training, I was taught to expect "Up for your control" from the jets checking in with me. Not so much IRL however. Still better than "with you."

I begin all emails, letters and conversations with "Howdy!"
Aggie? I also start emails and letters, and most phone conversations with Howdy!, because I was successfully indoctrinated at TAMU.

During my initial controller (AIC) training, I was taught to expect "Up for your control" from the jets checking in with me. Not so much IRL however. Still better than "with you."

Aggie? I also start emails and letters, and most phone conversations with Howdy!, because I was successfully indoctrinated at TAMU.

Nope, but both my kids are.

I got it from my Dad. He also said "Much obliged!" instead of thank you.

"So long" (in a normal voice) if I'm working and "thanks for the help" if I'm flying.

I can't stand "see ya" if it's over-exaggerated like it normally is. I forbid trainees to even think about saying it. After they're rated, they can do what they want.

I just say, “Threes and eights and all them good numbers to ya, good buddy. Catch ya on the flip. Buh-bye!” If it works in a truck, why shouldn’t it work in a plane?

You guys get the formal friendly treatment. I usually hear "I don't care, just take an exit and get off the runway".

Ok, that's not what they say, but at one airport that's what I hear.

I'm waiting for someone to say "BUH BYE" like the SNL sketch

I once got meowing and let's go brandon over guard for a solid 8 minutes.

LGB is common, the meowing is always weird. I wouldn't have figured so many ATP's were into cats...

I think the days of having your very own trademark greeting or farewell are pretty much over. Not likely to be another old "Toot-toot" who got the nickname from the first words he uttered when he checked in on a new frequency. Personally, if you're trying to be "cute", you aren't. If you say the same thing once in awhile when it comes from the heart, it's good. Just don't say it every stinkin' time — and say it after your frequency and call sign.
I disagree to a point. There was a great female controller out in Midland who had a very cheerful “have a great great day” that always sounded genuine. Some people can get away with it and it also be appreciated.

The one that has shown up recently around here is "Thanks for the help" which makes sense if you had a special request, but I hear people reflexively saying it after a normal exchange.

Meow doesn't make you a loser. It's funny.
No it’s not. What happens when the children start playing on guard is crews turn the volume down so the constant animal noises, LGB’s and guard nazis don’t interfere with being able to talk to atc on the primary radio. It’s childish and disruptive.

No it’s not. What happens when the children start playing on guard is crews turn the volume down so the constant animal noises, LGB’s and guard nazis don’t interfere with being able to talk to atc on the primary radio. It’s childish and disruptive.
I’m not actually advocating for it, and “constant” would be irritating, but my crew actually does keep guard on com 2 whenever we are cruising somewhere and I’ve never heard it get that bad. Besides, for every crew that might turn it down, that’s clearly because some other crew is actively monitoring it, so I’m not sure that argument is sound.

I’m not actually advocating for it, and “constant” would be irritating, but my crew actually does keep guard on com 2 whenever we are cruising somewhere and I’ve never heard it get that bad. Besides, for every crew that might turn it down, that’s clearly because some other crew is actively monitoring it, so I’m not sure that argument is sound.

How about knock off the child's play, and just simply monitor it?

I know you’re not advocating but you are saying it’s funny and doesn’t constitute unprofessional behavior. I’m just saying it is not funny and is unprofessional.

Recently, I had just popped on to 121.5 when I heard an airliner divert for passenger emergency and told the controller, have the Ambulance at the gate, "we are going to be coming in screaming," when the yahoos started with the "guard, guard, guard, meow, meeeeowww." The crew was not happy and rightfully snapped and told them all to grow up. Also heard a legit mayday call, and the 'guard police' started in. Someone clued them in it was a (bleeping) emergency and they were on the EC. It all got quiet after that.

The guttural "see ya" originated with the military. I don't know when, but it's not recent.

How about knock off the child's play, and just simply monitor it?
I mean, I don't do it... so your presumptive implication is actually amusing, but I don't think it's "as bad" as people are sanctimoniously making it out to be. There are a LOT of man boys on this forum who talk tough, but we could discuss their (our?) far worse vices. I mean, calling someone that said "meow" a loser is pretty escalatory. Let him that hath no radio sins cast the first stones…

Last edited:
I don't know what the history of using the phrase "seeya" is. But when I've heard "meow", it's been during a quiet moment in a disreputable bar, by a bored and probably drunk girl, who is typically looking for a "date". Then again, I don't always hang out in well lit areas, and my views sometimes reflect that...

There are a LOT of man boys on this forum who talk tough, but we could discuss their (our?) far worse vices.

Being a bit naïve I had the expectation that most pilots would have a fairly high level of integrity. POA has proven that I was very mistaken. Sometimes the poor humor, innuendo, and persistent petulant quarreling that is allowed to pass on here is quite startling.

Not much more to do than watch it go by and try not to let those folks drag you into the mud and beat you down with their mudhole experience. :dunno:

Last edited:
I mean, I don't do it... so your presumptive implication is actually amusing, but I don't think it's "as bad" as people are sanctimoniously making it out to be. There are a LOT of man boys on this forum who talk tough, but we could discuss their (our?) far worse vices. I mean, calling someone that said "meow" a loser is pretty escalatory. Let him that hath no radio sins cast the first stones…

At the end of the day, you said that you think people meowing on guard is funny.

I don't.

If your problem is with the loser comment why quote me?

You seriously think the behavior isn’t childish and unprofessional? In the flight levels it is more often the case you can hear the kids playing than not. At times it’s so bad the controllers have to ask people to stop. Unless things have changed it’s the practice of atc that guard is always monitored. You don’t think it’s just rude on a basic level to have all that drivel piped into the atc facility all day? I respect my fellow pilots and controllers enough to refrain. Plenty of time to let my 13 year old inner juvenile play when I’m not in the office.

Don’t mistake what I’m saying as some sanctimonious chest thumping. I’m very capable of having childish fun but there is a time and place for that behavior. Honestly I’m surprised you’re blowing it off.

Oh, C’mon man. Losers are the ones that can’t see the humor in it and chill. I don’t mind knowing someone’s on frequency and listening.

I don't think it's funny to use Guard as a political platform to harass others. I never once used Guard to express my actually legitimate displeasure with the previous guy, so why should a bunch of so called professionals be using it to continue an unfunny meme?

Back