POA Movie thread

An affront to British military history.

I suppose... as long you ignore the crawl at the beginning (or end?).

and ignore the reality that many different boats were captured.

and ignore the challenges of trying to put all that in one movie.

but sure, call it an affront.

:rolleyes:

A good one but to really appreciate it watch Failsafe first.
I've read Fail Safe, but can't recall seeing the movie. Fail Safe was one of the books I took from my father's bookshelf to read as a child (I was a child in the 60s). Read it again when I was older.

I've read Fail Safe, but can't recall seeing the movie. Fail Safe was one of the books I took from my father's bookshelf to read as a child (I was a child in the 60s). Read it again when I was older.

In some ways Dr. Strangelove was a parody (not exactly) of Failsafe (the movie). In my humble opinion and not having watched either in many, many years.

In some ways Dr. Strangelove was a parody (not exactly) of Failsafe (the movie). In my humble opinion and not having watched either in many, many years.
I also saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time when I was pretty young, then multiple times as an adult. Enjoyed, in a weird way, the ending scenes. "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..."

I liked Cold War movies as a child. Not sure why. Maybe because my father watched them.

I suppose... as long you ignore the crawl at the beginning (or end?).

and ignore the reality that many different boats were captured.

and ignore the challenges of trying to put all that in one movie.

but sure, call it an affront.

:rolleyes:
I look forward to watching your movie about the Tupolev Tu-2 that fired cruise missiles at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. :)

I look forward to watching your movie about the Tupolev Tu-2 that fired cruise missiles at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. :)

don't hold your breath. I have knowledge of the movie-making process but don't have the artistic talent (kind of like so many people that create videos for youtube)...

In some ways Dr. Strangelove was a parody (not exactly) of Failsafe (the movie).
It was based on the novel "Red Alert".
"Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler's later best-seller, Fail-Safe, so closely resembled Red Alert in its premise that George sued on the charge of copyright infringement, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Both novels would go on to inspire very different films that would both be released in 1964 by the same studio (Columbia Pictures)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_(novel)

It was based on the novel "Red Alert".
"Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler's later best-seller, Fail-Safe, so closely resembled Red Alert in its premise that George sued on the charge of copyright infringement, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Both novels would go on to inspire very different films that would both be released in 1964 by the same studio (Columbia Pictures)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_(novel)
Interesting. I guess that’s why I saw the relationship between them.

“Only Old Men Are Going to War”. This was a find, a Soviet movie made in the 70s, has lots of footage of Yaks flying, on Tubi and IMDB.

Haven't seen Fail Safe? It’s a classic. One of my favorites.

Not a very good movie, but the movies trailer has some insight to our future......

I broke down last night and rented a movie off Amazon.

Old Henry

It follows all the formulas of any Western. The good guy is a simple farmer minding his own business until the bad guys show up and then the good guy goes all John Wick on them.

Check it out.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi961003545

If you like the "I have a particular set of skills" type of movie, suggest The Equalizer, 2014 version. Ex-spook that just wants to be left alone, kind of thing. But compared to most, the protagonist makes fewer mistakes and seems more down to earth. Kind of like a cold war spy western?

An intriguing low budget sci-fi movie was "Primer"(2004) especially if you like time travel paradox themes. This became sort of a cult film and people made elaborate multiple-time-line charts to try and explain what was happening. You'd have to watch it more than once to get even a meager grasp of the plot, which I won't even try to explain, it's a real mind bender. The production budget was supposedly $7,000 and it won the Best Drama Sundance award for 2004.

and since we're talking about cold war movies the one that scared me the most when I was a kid was "On The Beach" (1959) with Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner, especially those eerie shots of San Francisco through the periscope and the way it ended, which is pretty accurate even to this day.

I just watched The Bombardment on Netflix. It's about a WW2 bombing raid gone wrong in Copenhagen. It was fun watching a squadron of de Havilland Mosquitoes flying at rooftop level, but fair warning: It's a tear-jerker.

and since we're talking about cold war movies the one that scared me the most when I was a kid was "On The Beach" (1959) with Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner, especially those eerie shots of San Francisco through the periscope and the way it ended, which is pretty accurate even to this day.

Waltzing Matilda...

Yes, viewing San Francisco through the periscope was eerie, since I live there. The GG Bridge and the Ferry Building are still there, but the skyline is now entirely different.

I just watched The Bombardment on Netflix. It's about a WW2 bombing raid gone wrong in Copenhagen. It was fun watching a squadron of de Havilland Mosquitoes flying at rooftop level, but fair warning: It's a tear-jerker.
We watched that too. I concur.

If you like the "I have a particular set of skills" type of movie, suggest The Equalizer, 2014 version. Ex-spook that just wants to be left alone, kind of thing. But compared to most, the protagonist makes fewer mistakes and seems more down to earth. Kind of like a cold war spy western?
I enjoyed the original TV show with Edward Woodward.

-
Ooohh...this one looks good..

upload_2022-3-19_13-2-0.png

You can tell the budget is in the three figure range, (if you watch the trailer and you should for entertainment).

I enjoyed the original TV show with Edward Woodward.

I did, too. To me, this time the movie didn't let me down. D Washington didn't make it either campy or over the top, in my view.

I'll contrast that to Mission Impossible, where I loved the TV show, but thought the movies were just silly. Maybe that's because I watched the show as a kid, and the movie as an adult.

Just watched Apache Warrior. Not a acting movie but a a documentary. It details the poorly executed deep strike mission into Baghdad in 2003. Pretty good if you’re into war history.
Synopsis from your point of view? You have my interest now.

Synopsis from your point of view? You have my interest now.

Well it’s like I said. In the early stages of OIF they launched a deep strike. Almost all the Apaches got shot up. They have interviews with the pilots and some actual cockpit recordings. Actually went to flight school with the female that was interviewed.

Seems like a low budget documentary but it’s an interesting view on how things can go south pretty quickly in war. I believe it’s on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Warri...7799497&sprefix=apache+warrior,aps,166&sr=8-4

Last edited:
Well it’s like I said. In the early stages of OIF they launched a deep strike. Almost all the Apaches got shot up. They have interviews with the pilots and some actual cockpit recordings. Actually went to flight school with the female that was interviewed.

Seems like a low budget documentary but it’s an interesting view on how things can go south pretty quickly in war. I believe it’s on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Warrior-Mike-Barbee/dp/B0755J21DR/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2801G7F0ENMQR&keywords=apache+warrior&qid=1657799497&sprefix=apache+warrior,aps,166&sr=8-4

Same action as this? https://www.airforcemag.com/article/1091apache/

Last edited:

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Warrior-Mike-Barbee/dp/B0755J21DR/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2801G7F0ENMQR&keywords=apache+warrior&qid=1657799497&sprefix=apache+warrior,aps,166&sr=8-4

Reminds me of "The Outpost" that's on Netflix right now. Nothing like having a base surrounded by mountain range/higher elevations in the heart of Taliban country and expecting it to be defensible without serious air support.

Reminds me of "The Outpost" that's on Netflix right now. Nothing like having a base surrounded by mountain range/higher elevations in the heart of Taliban country and expecting it to be defensible without serious air support.

Yep, even though the timeline is all jumbled around, the story is pretty accurate. I got to Afghanistan a month after that happened and we got a thorough brief on that one…along with the Bergdahl fiasco. Basically a huge investigation was going on as to how that mess unfolded. Horrible selection for a COP but there were a lot of other COPs that were similarly placed in low ground. Hard to pick a COP in that area and not be in a vulnerable position.

Just got Where Cowards Go To Die in the mail this week. Once I finish Legend I’ll start that one.

Back