Any issue renting while on BasicMed? (from flight schools or clubs)

elephant212

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
elephant212
I haven't flown as PIC in a few years and my last 3rd class medical is now expired, but I just had my doctor sign off on the BasicMed checklist, so legally I'm medically OK to fly now. I'm now looking at getting back into flying by finding a local flight school to complete a flight review and IPC.

Are most flight schools or flying clubs OK with renting to a BasicMed pilot? I saw a few things on the internet about some places requiring an actual medical but I wasn't sure how common that demand was.

Flight schools that are geared towards professional flight training often have medical certificate requirements. But for the most part, insurance companies haven't had an issue with BasicMed, so flying clubs and schools haven't had an issue either. That's not to say there might not be a one-off with a manufactured "insurance company requirement", but for the most part they've come around as the market has spoken (50k + folks doing BasicMed).

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My worry was indeed some theoretical insurance company demand, but it's good to know that likely won't be an issue!

(I could most likely get another 3rd class medical if really needed, but due to some surgery the FAA would likely want a lot of documentation that I would prefer to not have to dig up and wait the months for the FAA to review, so BasicMed is going to make my life tremendously easier there)

I rented recently from a place where the website said “requires 3rd class medical”, and the paperwork had checkboxes for 1st/2nd/3rd. But when I called and asked a human about basicMed, they said “oh yeah, that’s fine too”.
So don’t believe websites, which may not have been updated in a while.

Last edited:
None of the insurance, Faa and ntsb forms I recently filled out had a way to enter basic med. but they all just said “write it in the existing medical space”

3rd class medical is probably (guessing with some educated reading in my past) required because that is the base requirement before getting a basic med - later.
One of my seven instructors was flying under basic med and encouraged me to look into it when my two years expire. I called him last week to get more details because my 3rd expires in 6 mos.

I have no official capacity to make this response, just sharing my experience with the local flight school.

3rd class medical is probably (guessing with some educated reading in my past) required because that is the base requirement before getting a basic med - later.
One of my seven instructors was flying under basic med and encouraged me to look into it when my two years expire. I called him last week to get more details because my 3rd expires in 6 mos.

I have no official capacity to make this response, just sharing my experience with the local flight school.

Right, you have to have held at least a 3rd class medical in the past (valid at any point after July 14, 2006), but it can be expired. I have an expired medical that was valid past that date, so I qualify for BasicMed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back