Half-blind

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Had retina surgery on one eye. Don't know if it will see again or if so, how much. Probably pretty bad. Been Basic-Med for several years. Was a CPAP user, but couldn't use CPAP mask and sleep on my face at the same time. So, gotta get a good six-months again, now.

Anyway, what are the chances of flying again?

I don't have any personal experience, but @AKBill might be willing to talk to you about the process of getting back into things in regards to having only one good eye.

Vitrectomy? I had 5 in 18 month span; 2 in left; 3 in right. Two each for detached retina in both eyes; #5 was to remove epiretinal membrane in right eye. Flying on Basic Med. Vision is not the same as it was before, but I am functional. Have been avoiding flying at night, but may try that again with new glasses that came last week.

If you think you will be able to drive again, I think you can probably fly again.

And yeah, AKBill had it worse, and he's back in the cockpit.

All of you had it worse than me. I had several laser procedures in both eyes and one cryo but never had to enter the globe or lie face down. I think that would have killed me.

I don’t see why you can’t fly again if you get accustomed to one eye and yes, AKBill did it. His thread about getting back in the air is somewhere in Flight Following I think.

This is an interesting situation. Short version is it looks like you could fly under a medical certificate after an adjustment period, or under BasicMed if your physician is willing to sign off. Obviously there's a lot of details. Particularly about vision in the other eye.

There aren't any vision related 1 time SI provisions for BasicMed. The CMEC just requires the physician to examine the function of the eyes and vision without much direction on specific criteria:

"4. Eyes (general), ophthalmoscopic, pupils, (equality and reaction), and ocular motility (associated parallel movement, nystagmus):"
"20. Vision: (distant, near, and intermediate vision, field of vision, color vision, and ocular alignment)"

The "BasicMed Section 3: Instructions for State-Licensed Physician" states:

"As the examining physician, you are required to:

1. Review all sections of the checklist, particularly SECTION 2 completed by the airman.
2. Conduct a comprehensive medical examination in accordance with the checklist by:
a. Examining each item specified;
b. Exercising medical discretion, address, as medically appropriate, any medical conditions identified; and
c. Exercising medical discretion, determine whether any medical tests are warranted as part of the comprehensive medical examination.
3. Review and discuss all prescription and non-prescription medication(s) the individual reports taking and any potential to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft or motor vehicle.
4. Complete the Physician’s Signature and Declaration.
5. Complete the Physician’s Information
."

So technically you could be legally blind, and if you meet all the other criteria for BasicMed and a physician signs off, you're legally good to go under BasicMed. Obviously this wouldn't be a good idea as the self certifying provisions of the FARs are a factor. The Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners has more specific guidance regarding monocular vision, which would be at the extreme end of losing sight in one eye. This would be related to flying under a medical certificate rather than BasicMed. Here's the guidance:

"Monocular Vision. An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 (14 CFR 67.401).

In amblyopia ex anopsia, the visual acuity loss is simply recorded in Item 50 of FAA Form 8500-8, and visual standards are applied as usual. If the standards are not met, a Report of Eye Evaluation, FAA Form 8500-7, should be submitted for consideration. Although it has been repeatedly demonstrated that binocular vision is not a prerequisite for flying, some aspects of depth perception, either by stereopsis or by monocular cues, are necessary. It takes time for the monocular airman to develop the techniques to interpret the monocular cues that substitute for stereopsis; such as, the interposition of objects, convergence, geometrical perspective, distribution of light and shade, size of known objects, aerial perspective, and motion parallax.

In addition, it takes time for the monocular airman to compensate for his or her decrease in effective visual field. A monocular airman’s effective visual field is reduced by as much as 30% by monocularity. This is especially important because of speed smear; i.e., the effect of speed diminishes the effective visual field such that normal visual field is decreased from 180 degrees to as narrow as 42 degrees or less as speed increases. A monocular airman’s reduced effective visual field would be reduced even further than 42 degrees by speed smear.

For the above reasons, a waiting period of 6 months is recommended to permit an adequate adjustment period for learning techniques to interpret monocular cues and accommodation to the reduction in the effective visual field.

Applicants who have had monovision secondary to refractive surgery may be certificated, providing they have corrective vision available that would provide binocular vision in accordance with the vision standards, while exercising the privileges of the certificate. The certificate issued must have the appropriate vision limitations statement."

The good news is it doesn't sound like monocular vision in and of itself is completely disqualifying. Interested in seeing how the AMEs on the board opine.

So technically you could be legally blind, and if you meet all the other criteria for BasicMed and a physician signs off, you're legally good to go under BasicMed.

Not quite. You still need a valid driver’s license to use Basic Med, and that could be a bit challenging for the blind.

I’m not sure what hoops you have to jump through to drive with monocular vision, but there probably are some. They would have to be fulfilled to make Basic Med available.

Not quite. You still need a valid driver’s license to use Basic Med, and that could be a bit challenging for the blind.

I’m not sure what hoops you have to jump through to drive with monocular vision, but there probably are some. They would have to be fulfilled to make Basic Med available.

Good point. I was kind of thinking that with the "all the other criteria" comment but the DL requirement would definitely address the vision issues.

I am in California, had a traumatic brain injury and am blind in one eye.

I had to take a driving test to keep my license when it was time to renew because I could not read or even see the chart with my left eye.

That was 28 years ago, I still have my California driver’s license and I have not taken another driving test.

For my pilot’s certificate I took a demonstrated ability medical check ride for both the loss of conciseness and my monocular vision.

I flew with a statement of demonstrated ability.

Much later I took a second demonstrated ability medical check ride for a second class medical so I could get paid to fly air shows.

I recently switched to basic med because I am seventy two and suspect at some point I will have medical issues.

When the doctor asked me to cover my right eye and read the chart I handed him my statement of demonstrated and he wrote down the number.

I am a flight instructor and it all seems to work out fine.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 92
Just want to update my friends. Surgery was successful. Eye has lost some visual ability. Distortion, fuzziness, floaters. Current vision in dominant eye is 20/60 and may be correctible to 20/40 with glasses. 20/20 in the non-dominant eye. Able to drive during daylight. Residual issue: Reading has become difficult--like really hard work--don't know why.

Worst parts of the solution were keeping my eyes looking down all the time, pain during healing, and dozens of daily medical drops in my eye. I have learned to tolerate the drops much better than when I started. The only pain is occasional, very tolerable, pulling of the stitch in my eye. And, now I can look up.

Lesson learned: If you ever notice that straight lines suddenly show a dent in them that travels with your eye movement, do not wait to see your eye doctor. Go at once and get it fixed before the dent and hole expand to take over your entire vision.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes, concern, and answers. Luv ya.
- Peggy

Good news on the surgery. As for reading, would a tablet or iPad help?
My wife has macular degeneration and is able to read with an iPad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on restoring 20/40 vision in your operative eye. That's good enough for a 3rd class medical if needed. Your brain is still going to be favoring that dominant eye. Our brains try to merge the 2 different images of the eyes. I have a similar situation and it seems like the brain favors the vision of the dominant eye. If I close or patch my dominant eye (poorer vision eye), my vision in the other eye improves.

Wow. Glad you are getting your vision back, and hope you can resume flying. I imagine the whole thing wasn't just miserable, but terrifying.

Good news on the surgery. As for reading, would a tablet or iPad help?
My wife has macular degeneration and is able to read with an iPad.
No. My dominant eye has distortion and my brain is working real hard to override the good vision in my other eye and then trying to resolve the images from both eyes. Smaller, brighter screens haven't helped. I have started using MS Word's embedded reader. That helps, but only with Word.

Macular degeneration is different. It happens slowly and I don't know of effective treatment. My macular hole happened quickly (one day serious distortion, then progressing to blindness within a month) and was repaired with surgery. I have many of the same lingering symptoms, though: blurry vision, distortion, floaters, bad vision in low light.

Thanks for your help.

Congratulations on restoring 20/40 vision in your operative eye. That's good enough for a 3rd class medical if needed. Your brain is still going to be favoring that dominant eye. Our brains try to merge the 2 different images of the eyes. I have a similar situation and it seems like the brain favors the vision of the dominant eye. If I close or patch my dominant eye (poorer vision eye), my vision in the other eye improves.
Right. That's what is happening. Darn it. As a child, I successfully transferred my hand dominance to my right hand by dislocating my left elbow and breaking my left wrist, but my left foot and left eye stayed dominant.

Vitrectomy? I had 5 in 18 month span; 2 in left; 3 in right. Two each for detached retina in both eyes; #5 was to remove epiretinal membrane in right eye. Flying on Basic Med. Vision is not the same as it was before, but I am functional. Have been avoiding flying at night, but may try that again with new glasses that came last week.

If you think you will be able to drive again, I think you can probably fly again.

And yeah, AKBill had it worse, and he's back in the cockpit.
Yes, vitrectomy.

In my macular hole, the vitreous fluid became adhesive with age and tore a hole in my macula, sort of like pulling off a bandaid and pulling off a scab with it. Then the hole edges started deteriorating. A small incision removed the vitreous gel and replaced with a bubble of gas. Over about a month, the gas was replaced with natural fluids. During the initial healing process (2 weeks), I needed to keep the bubble pressed against the back of my eye by continually looking face-down.

Thanks for your concern. Have the glasses helped? I still won't drive at night.

This is an interesting situation. Short version is it looks like you could fly under a medical certificate after an adjustment period, or under BasicMed if your physician is willing to sign off. Obviously there's a lot of details. Particularly about vision in the other eye.

There aren't any vision related 1 time SI provisions for BasicMed. The CMEC just requires the physician to examine the function of the eyes and vision without much direction on specific criteria:

"4. Eyes (general), ophthalmoscopic, pupils, (equality and reaction), and ocular motility (associated parallel movement, nystagmus):"
"20. Vision: (distant, near, and intermediate vision, field of vision, color vision, and ocular alignment)"

The "BasicMed Section 3: Instructions for State-Licensed Physician" states:

"As the examining physician, you are required to:

1. Review all sections of the checklist, particularly SECTION 2 completed by the airman.
2. Conduct a comprehensive medical examination in accordance with the checklist by:
a. Examining each item specified;
b. Exercising medical discretion, address, as medically appropriate, any medical conditions identified; and
c. Exercising medical discretion, determine whether any medical tests are warranted as part of the comprehensive medical examination.
3. Review and discuss all prescription and non-prescription medication(s) the individual reports taking and any potential to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft or motor vehicle.
4. Complete the Physician’s Signature and Declaration.
5. Complete the Physician’s Information
."

So technically you could be legally blind, and if you meet all the other criteria for BasicMed and a physician signs off, you're legally good to go under BasicMed. Obviously this wouldn't be a good idea as the self certifying provisions of the FARs are a factor. The Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners has more specific guidance regarding monocular vision, which would be at the extreme end of losing sight in one eye. This would be related to flying under a medical certificate rather than BasicMed. Here's the guidance:

"Monocular Vision. An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 (14 CFR 67.401).

In amblyopia ex anopsia, the visual acuity loss is simply recorded in Item 50 of FAA Form 8500-8, and visual standards are applied as usual. If the standards are not met, a Report of Eye Evaluation, FAA Form 8500-7, should be submitted for consideration. Although it has been repeatedly demonstrated that binocular vision is not a prerequisite for flying, some aspects of depth perception, either by stereopsis or by monocular cues, are necessary. It takes time for the monocular airman to develop the techniques to interpret the monocular cues that substitute for stereopsis; such as, the interposition of objects, convergence, geometrical perspective, distribution of light and shade, size of known objects, aerial perspective, and motion parallax.

In addition, it takes time for the monocular airman to compensate for his or her decrease in effective visual field. A monocular airman’s effective visual field is reduced by as much as 30% by monocularity. This is especially important because of speed smear; i.e., the effect of speed diminishes the effective visual field such that normal visual field is decreased from 180 degrees to as narrow as 42 degrees or less as speed increases. A monocular airman’s reduced effective visual field would be reduced even further than 42 degrees by speed smear.

For the above reasons, a waiting period of 6 months is recommended to permit an adequate adjustment period for learning techniques to interpret monocular cues and accommodation to the reduction in the effective visual field.

Applicants who have had monovision secondary to refractive surgery may be certificated, providing they have corrective vision available that would provide binocular vision in accordance with the vision standards, while exercising the privileges of the certificate. The certificate issued must have the appropriate vision limitations statement."

The good news is it doesn't sound like monocular vision in and of itself is completely disqualifying. Interested in seeing how the AMEs on the board opine.
Thanks for doing that research. I really appreciate it.

Peggy, I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this. Hopefully your vision improves and gets easier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back