Cirrus SR22 Crash Jan 31 2022, Two Onboard 1 Fatality

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Just checked and didn't see another thread. Tail number was N227BD. As I understand it both occupants survived the crash. Unfortunately one died later in the hospital. Also, when I looked up the tail number earlier this week, the registered owner does not appear to match the occupants. Our local Midwest flying facebook page indicates it changed ownership in the past few weeks.

I have included its final track log which I think ends within 15min or so of the incident. Looks like a training flight maybe. It appears the chute was pulled during a takeoff / departure. Now hearing some local feedback that the chute was pulled below the recommended altitude. Names of the two pilots are in the included press release (bitmap form)

SR22FlightTrack.jpg

20220205_151314.jpg

I've read elsewhere, this may have been the owner's first fam flight since the airplane was delivered to FCM.

I just saw this updated information. Since the CFI onboard survived there is at least some direct information.

On a midwest forum there is very interesting idea going around that the botched touch and go resulted in a prop strike which would explain the vibration, reduced power, prop blade quite a ways from the crash site, etc.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/274966

We’ll never know how it would have ended if they just landed the plane power-off instead of relying on CAPS to bail them out of the situation.

I've read elsewhere, this may have been the owner's first fam flight since the airplane was delivered to FCM.

I’m sure I’m being dense, but what is a “fam flight?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’ll never know how it would have ended if they just landed the plane power-off instead of relying on CAPS to bail them out of the situation.
Certainly that's a training issue that Cirrus hammers into buyers.

So is calling out “caps available” part of the normal
Climbout checklist???. 500’ AGL seems pretty skinny for that chute to fully open and arrest a descent.
How bad of a bounce is going to lead to a prop strike in a tricycle? The fan does look like a monster on the front of those though it seems.

So is calling out “caps available” part of the normal
Yes. Caps / flaps is a call out.

Climbout checklist???. 500’ AGL seems pretty skinny for that chute to fully open and arrest a descent.
It is thin indeed, the POH will allow as low as 400 AGL depending on which generation model Cirrus it is.. granted by the time most people realize what's happening, reach up, pull the chute, etc., they're eroded into that margin. What they don't teach you is to keep flying the plane, which sounds like this crew may have messed with the deployment sequence. "Keep flying at full power until you feel the straps tighten" is NOT part of any approved CAPS procedure that I was ever taught.

fam flight
it wasn't just you - I assumed it was a 'family flight'!

Big ol fields that look pretty good to put it down in. Hindsight is 20/20 but can't forget to fly the plane. I wasn't there though. Just sgoti.

The report says they pulled the chute and then sounds like they forced it stay level with the engine at full power.. that doesn't make sense as it's not approved, not taught, not in the POH, and not consistent with chute sequence which involves an initial pitch up, and then nose down. When you're right on the edge of the min safe deploy altitude that's not the time to depart from approved procedures

here are some of the more critical steps, from Cirrus, as designed

"As the parachute inflates, the forward harnesses are extracted out of from under the fuselage skin. As air begins to fill the canopy, the initial loads cause the aircraft to pitch up, providing some aerodynamic braking."

then

"As inflation loads increase, the slider moves down the suspension lines, allowing the canopy to fully inflate. During the inflation process, the airplane will transition from a nose-high attitude to a nose-low attitude, until the line cutters extend the aft harness to its full length"

this is well documented and all over their training syllabus: "https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf"

it's like purposefully putting on a life jacket backwards and not understanding why it's less effective, or potentially worse off then no jacket..

500 feet up to G3 for the 22, 600 feet for the G5 and 6. Although they do say pull at any altitude if it looks hopeless (ie low altitude spin).

As far as holding it level with full power while the chute deploys, if you have that much control and power you probably shouldn't be pulling.

I don't know if it's a factor here, of course, but one thing drilled into my head was "you need to brief what to do on engine failure on takeoff/climbout every single time." Meaning in part that the two pilots need to be exactly on the same page, that there's no time for a discussion.

Good one! Widely known, poorly practiced during GA flights.... I will focus on it during my personal memory items...

Back