172 vent options

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
I saw a set of cool and practical looking vents on knots 2 U. Holy cow, $1400+. Anyway, what are some options that point the air more back towards the pilot? I’ve seen some really nice ones but google can’t seems to find a picture of them. Ideas ?

Removeable cardboard inserts?
3D print something?

Anyway, what are some options that point the air more back towards the pilot?
Check with your mechanic on modifying your existing vent tubes or getting a couple salvage ones and modifying them to get the air flow you want. We used various designs so really whatever works for you and your mechanic or simply copy an existing set up. Just be sure you can shut-off that air flow in case it gets cold outside.

I thought the only options were closed, wide open or closed until they pop out and ricochet around the cockpit....
Rod Machado says when that happens you say, "Uh oh. Wing Bolt!" and then frantically fumble around trying to put it back in the hole. Always makes your passengers feel at ease.

Good ideas all.

Join one of the Cessna forums and look for the DIY versions people have created w/ PVC.
(1) Pilots vent tube upgrade DIY 172 improvment | The Pilot's Place Forums (thepilotsplace.com)
When you get to the link at the pilots place click on the expand - the full instructions and pictures are there.

The PVC pipe fittings you will find in the aviation section of your Home Depot or Lowes etc hardware store.

Standard 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 45 degree fitting (however if you measure the ID it is 1 15/16ths so it is a plumbers mystery as to why it is called 1 1/2).

The straight pipe is ID 1 3/4 and will need to fit into the 45 degree fittings (you probably figured that part out)

When you pull out the Cessna part you will be able to push in the PVC replacement (I used a strip of velcro (fuzzy side self stick) to on the straight pipe to get a good friction fit.

sta-av125b.html Chief Aircraft . com aluminum eyeball vent

Ah great. Thanks guys.

I actually didn't like the gasper outlets in the newer 172s. They look nice but a narrow jet of air hitting you in one spot doesn't work as well.

Ahh yes, Cessna air vents that sometimes fall in your lap and never fully seal nor have any real way of blowing air onto the pilot; leaving you cold in the winter and hot in the summer

trash

:( I thought this was going to be a thread where people were venting about the 172 -

"Why did I have to slam the door 18 times to get it to shut?"
"Why is the wing way up there??"
"Why are we only going 90 knots and getting passed by birds here in cruise?"
"Why did I pay $236,923 for this thing with a run-out engine and an interior that smells like 3 day old socks?"

Back