First Flight to Sun N Fun planned

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
I'm considering doing a single day fly in to Sun N Fun. For context I'm just over 100 hours and picked up my private in December. I'm flying from Leesburg so its about an hour or so. Having read the previous years' notams and arrival/departure procedures I've decided NOT to take the wife on this run plus I am going to get a second pilot in the right seat. I've offered the seat to one of my former CFIs as he has mentioned that he's wanted to do it. I'm waiting to hear back. I think I'm going to limit it to to either a pilot who's flown in before or a CFI for the added safety. Any advice on tackling this? I'm probably going to brush up on my short field landings and touching down on a specific point. Needless to say after watching various videos of people coming into SNF I'm excited but nervous.

It’s not nearly as bad as you think. But having someone helpful in the right seat is a very good idea.

The arrival procedure is actually pretty easy. The biggest skill you need is being able to manage your speed and landing on the designated spot. Good call to take along another pilot that’s done the arrival. An extra set of eyes is always great to have. Most of all have a great time. I always enjoy Sun N Fun and camping by my plane.

Watch YouTube videos of others flying in there. It was extremely helpful to me on my first trip to Oshkosh. It felt like I'd been there before when seeing new landmarks.

Sounds like fun ('n sun)!

Oddly enough I've flown 800 miles to Oshkosh twice, but never have made the 380 mile trip to SNF. Although I have flown into KLAL, just not for SNF. Bummer.

Maybe review local airports not listed in the NOTAM as well. This past year the told me to turn left to Winter Haven. I was lucky my wife was a TPA controller and was right seat. She told me fly east it’s the airport over there. Wasn’t listed anywhere in the procedure.

I have been there 3 times, and highly recommend it. The second pair of eyes are a large safety factor, but I flew in solo every time.

Touch down on the spot is not essential, just be near the correct speed and low, and it turns out fine. I found that just keeping close attention to my interval with the plane ahead did the job.

Yes, in tight, fly the plane. Don’t get distracted by someone talking in the headset.

Mind the weather. There may be quieter times to plan your arrival, haven’t been there in a long time, don’t know the flow.

Touch down on the spot is not essential, just be near the correct speed and low, and it turns out fine. I found that just keeping close attention to my interval with the plane ahead did the job.
respectfully disagree. How about the twin Cessna hanging on 10+ kts below normal approach speed trying to land on his assigned spot? And that guy in front lands wherever it suits him. It happens there all too often. If you can’t land on a spot, go to Plant City. Please.

respectfully disagree. How about the twin Cessna hanging on 10+ kts below normal approach speed trying to land on his assigned spot? And that guy in front lands wherever it suits him. It happens there all too often. If you can’t land on a spot, go to Plant City. Please.
Last year close to flare a Skyhawk told to land in the skinny decides to take the main in front of me. I was getting ready to go hard right but the controller yelled at him and he took back off and then was cleared to land further down the runway giving me plenty of room. :)

Back