Aircraft Engine Shops

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
If I need to rebuild my engine - can anyone recommend a reputable shop that does good work at a reasonable rate?

My engine is a Lycoming O-235-L2C. Is 21 years old, appears to have a bad cylinder and has 2258 hours. I'm also wondering if I should just get the cylinder replaced?

One shop mentioned the 50% of the cranks that he sees are cracked which adds $7500.00 which means people are flying with cracked cranks?

Maybe they only saw 2?

I know of an L2C that was majored and pickled 20 years ago.
$12,900 asking. PM me if interested and I’ll give you contact info.

I just had a cylinder overhauled by Tropic Air Power in Indiantown, Florida. Two week turnaround, working perfectly, fair price. They know their stuff there, and do great work.

I just had a cylinder overhauled by Tropic Air Power in Indiantown, Florida. Two week turnaround, working perfectly, fair price. They know their stuff there, and do great work.
Thank you. Can I ask how much you paid start to finish? Including the mechanics time and cost?

It would seem if 50% of the Cranks for any given model were cracked that
an AD would be in the works.

Ok; Nelson was 100% .

When I had my complete engine overhaul, I purchased four new Lycoming cylinder kits and shipped everything to Triad Aviation in Burlington NC. That way everything from the block out was new. Triad inspected all of the remaining internal gears, camshaft and crankshaft for acceptable tolerances. This was in 2014 and ran around 20k for everything on my 0-320. It’s been a while, but from memory I think the bill from Triad was around 12k and the cylinder kits around $1800 each. My cylinders came from Air Power in Arlington Texas.

Last edited:
Thank you. Can I ask how much you paid start to finish? Including the mechanics time and cost?

Tropic’s part of it was $725. I can try and figure out the A&P time, but we did it as part of an owner-assisted condition inspection and I didn’t ask him to separate the inspection from repairs for the bill. Probably 2.5 to three hours to remove and reinstall, IIRC.

That would be about the norm.

Caveat: Generally the first thing the tech does when the jug is off is look at the Cam. Often it becomes major time. Your engine tips you off in advance is valve clearance increases.

I feel like any engine shop can OH that motor.

Where your plane is, geographically, might inform some recommendations.

I have no idea how to opine on repair vs overhaul. You're 150 hours from TBO. How's the rest of the engine behaving?

Back