Dynon or UAvionix with legacy generator

Scott MacKie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sbmackie
Got the stock generator in my Pacer. Have a venturi system driving a DG and an AI. Thinking of pulling. So: any issues with the load of the Dynon (D-3) or Uavionix (-30) when the generator is not on the step (in my case, above 1100 RPM with strobes, nav lights/ADSB, and radio going.

IMO better information, lose weight, and lose the g-awful looking monster Venturi's on the side of the airplane. Don't fly it in the clouds, don't intend to.

Thanks
Scott

Why not spend the money on an alternator conversion and just pull the vacuum system out completely?

I can’t comment on the Dynon, but the AV-30 will actually consume approximately 0.5 amps while running. I wouldn’t expect there to be a problem with their operation at low engine speeds and no generator output but I haven’t seen one operating in those conditions either.

I run a generator with a full ifr panel. 430, 225, two G5’s, all led lights, transponder, audio panel, turn coordinator, double usb charger.
I did a load test, every single thing in the airplane on, including pitot heat and I still met the requirements with a 35 amp generator.

Your generator was installed years ago when all our radios were tube type and current draw was a lot higher back then.

With modern avionics, LED position lights and LED landing lights, the electrical load has been greatly reduced. Old style panel lighting can also draw a significant amount of current, so you might investigate that as a power saving modification.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Generators get a bad rap, but they work!
I will not give mine up, sure, its heavy and a lightweight alternator would save some pounds. BUT, with my generator, I can have a battery failure, or forget to turn the master off and after a quick hand propping, I am back in business. But, just in case the generator AND the battery crap out, I have full mechanical instrumentation backup. I guess I am old school.
Get mine over 900 rpm and its charging. The old saying of "If it isnt broken, don't fix it", comes to mind.

Back