ForeFlight Subscription Changes

I work with licensing fees at my company. The front end is always cheaper than the lifecycle. Once they get the hooks in you, you’re their slave. Swapping to another platform has lots of unexpected costs like training. So it’s cheaper to keep her, so to speak.

It's the first price increase in six years (20% in a 7%+ inflationary environment). Also, in that time, tons of new features.
Sort of like Amazon Prime's cost increase, I get enough value from it that I'm happy to pay more.
I'll probably look at switching when it reaches ~$350 or so.

I'm old enough to remember paying more than $99 a year just to have current VFR sectionals. And *way* more than $250 to have current approach plates. Still seems like a bargain to me.

And paper charts didn't allow me to plan on the web, have it show up on my tablet, push to my panel and sync back to my paper chart when I changed things in the panel.

I started FF because I hated the paper chart subscriptions. And the approach plates + A/FD (ahem...Chart Supplement:confused:), ....holy crap!

That being said, I'll renew early to get the price break. I just checked, and they will prorate my early renewal for time remaining on existing subscription. :D

FWIW, the price increase doesn't bother me. My only pricing issue with ForeFlight has been the need for an upgraded subscription for georeferenced taxi diagrams - a safety feature incredibly useful for even VFR-only pilots.

I chose ForeFlight back when it and WingX were the only game in town. 11 years later, I don't see myself leaving ForeFlight so long as I fly IFR, although I see two very good contenders.

The last couple of Garmin Pilot upgrades have added some very useful features, like highlighting critical NOTAMs based on your flight plan. If you are buying Garmin data package for your avionics, the "premium" upgrade is free. The base GP costs did go up to just under $100.

I started FF because I hated the paper chart subscriptions. And the approach plates + A/FD (ahem...Chart Supplement:confused:), ....holy crap!

That being said, I'll renew early to get the price break. I just checked, and they will prorate my early renewal for time remaining on existing subscription. :D

That’s my plan as well. I just re-upped mine a month or so ago.

those being?
Garmin Pilot and iFlyGPS.

Pilot has come a long way and if you are using modern Garmin avionics, you have the advantages of compatibility and a substantially identical flow and interface. And, if you prefer the ForeFlight bottom tabs to the Garmin Main Menu to navigate functions, they added that. I was doing recurrent training this past year with a pilot who recently upgraded his panel and decided to try Pilot for it's ability to do wireless data update with his panel. Since it was long enough for Garmin to give me another trial, I loaded it too. I was very favorably impressed.

iFly GPS is just solid and has a history going back to the dats of the small portable aviation GPS units (they competed with the Garmin small x96 series, at least as far back the 296). It's still a small company with great customer support. It works equally well on Android, iOS and Windows (as well as it's own dedicated hardware). I've been paying for it in addition to Foreflight for a few years as my Android backup. I'm planning to let my subscription lapse this year because I haven't been using it.

If you just want charts on a moving map, that is free. Check out Avare. It has plates and A/FD as well. Kinda like a portable skyvector.com.(no internet required after you choose the charts you want to download)

But... if you need every bell and whistle, stick with FF.

No it’s call greed. after losses from B737-max and all other stuff… Boeing only knows how to creep for other loses. Disgrace. FF is only a software, there is no fuel, import or logistics issues… just lazy old greed. Shame Boeing.

I retired from the MIC. The old saying when dealing with Boeing: Boeing, you can certainly buy better, but, you can’t pay more!

I had to go look at my FF subscription. Its been the same price for the last 5 years. Over the same period of time, the price of the 1st class postage stamp has increased more than 23%.
FF has added so many features over those 5 years with no price increase, we had to know it was coming at some point.

If you just want charts on a moving map, that is free. Check out Avare. It has plates and A/FD as well. Kinda like a portable skyvector.com.(no internet required after you choose the charts you want to download)

But... if you need every bell and whistle, stick with FF.

I actually have Avare loaded on a sunlight readable (I think its 1000 nit) and ruggedized tablet. The Android tablet was an impulse buy that was "too good to pass up" at the time. I've used it a few times. But, I just like FF better.

For flying over Canada, I think FF is the only one among GP, Stratus, Fltplan GO, WingX, correct?

No it’s call greed. after losses from B737-max and all other stuff… Boeing only knows how to creep for other loses. Disgrace. FF is only a software, there is no fuel, import or logistics issues… just lazy old greed. Shame Boeing.

I hear ya, but let me tell you, software doesn’t come cheap. Amazon just raised the BASE salary for senior programmers to 350k because they’re hard to hire and retain. 20% seems like a lot but they haven’t raised prices in years. Join SAFE and get 33% off before the price raise and it’s not really a problem.

I had to wrinkle my brow when I found I could not renew FF through the app (or, it is not easily found), then laughed when I was rebuffed by their site when trying to renew from my ipad (“cant renew from a device”).
Mysteriously enough, that warning has disappeared and I have since been able to renew from my ipad.
Otherwise, FF is doing a bang-up job. Love its capabilities.

I believe, if you had gotten a Stratus 3, it would of been compatible with Garmin Pilot or IFLY. I have a 2S, one version short. :eek:

This - is killing my moving to I Fly. All of our club planes have the 2S, and the only way to make the I Fly work (which of course I already bought) is to buy a Stratus 3. Blah -

I don't know what you do for a living, but I can't believe you have ever run a business or tried to hire any top-notch talent lately. Six years ago I could hire a veterinarian right out of Vet school for $65k plus basic benefits. Today that new grad costs $100k with ridiculous benefits. I don't think that is greed on their part. That is merely adapting to the market.

This - is killing my moving to I Fly. All of our club planes have the 2S, and the only way to make the I Fly work (which of course I already bought) is to buy a Stratus 3. Blah -
What do you mean by "work"? And why does it have to be a Stratus anything? :confused2:

What do you mean by "work"? And why does it have to be a Stratus anything? :confused2:

Works = Weather and traffic in I Fly

My post refers to and includes/quotes the earlier post-conversation that the Stratus 2s didn’t work with IFly. Need the Stratus 3 “one version up from 2s” to have it “work”- to get traffic and weather.

FWIW - There are not a lot of options to pick from to get it to work in my situation traffic and weather wise. Stratus 3 is one of those.

Last edited:
My post refers to the earlier post I quoted where Stratus 2s didn’t work with IFly. Need the Stratus 3 to have it “work” - to get traffic and weather.
Yes, if you choose a Stratus brand portable it would have to be a 3. My second question was more like "why Stratus brand?" Unless you decide to build a Stratux (or buy a pre-built unit), it's going to be expensive anyway but there are other compatible receivers out there.

Context helps. In this case works = gets weather and traffic

My post refers to and includes/quotes the earlier post where the conversation was that the Stratus 2s didn’t work with IFly. Need the Stratus 3 to have it “work” - to get traffic and weather.

There are not a lot of options to pick from to get it to work (traffic and weather wise). Stratus 3 is one of those.

iFly talks to a crap ton of ADSB-in devices.

iFly talks to a crap ton of ADSB-in devices.
It talks to most of them out there, but I don't think there is a "crap ton" of compatible portable ADSB-In devices out there unless one counts all the Stratux rebrands separately.

So buy a Stratux for $200 or so.

Anyone use Stratus Insight? Honestly with their features and pricing, I would have tried them over Foreflight if I'd known it existed.

Stratus Insight Price Comparisons

I have been using it for several years and find it a very good basic EFB. It used to be Aerovie but was bought by Stratus a year or two ago.

I read over the thread, and I don't believe Seatle Avionics FlyQ has been mentioned. If you get one of their lifetime bagain deals, it would be pretty cheap for a good product.

I have the performance plus subscription. The cost last time I renewed was $299. It's going up to $360. Oof.

But it looks like if I renew before March, I can get the old cost for a year. So I just renewed, at $299. Saves me a little over $20. Woo-hoo!

ForeFlight is a deal and never could get over the pricing from the beginning…safety, planning time, fuel savings and what not…I can say the pricing change ($20) does not get me upset…I wish fuel and other costs only when up that much…I am a little jaded as my kid works there and deals with this type of issue so be nice if your complaining lol

WingX Pro7 is $75 a year. I have yet to see the FF features ($199) that are 265% better.

WingX Pro7 is $75 a year. I have yet to see the FF features ($199) that are 265% better.
$199 is 265% of $75, but it's only 165% higher, so it would only need to be 165% better to have the same cost per unit of value.

All I care about above the basic VFR stuff is geo referenced approach plates. I have been paying $150 for “Pro USA” to get that since the beginning- so this will be even bigger for me to stomach than those going from $199. Oh well. I guess it still beats the old paper days.

Last edited:
For VFR only, I don't think you can beat FlyQ. Some of their presentations are better than FF to me.

This is a great time to mention that joining SAFE gets you 33% off your ForeFlight subscription, and the discount is greater than the cost to join except on the basic plan. You can even use it mid-year to get the discount and reset your renewal date. You don’t have to be a CFI to join: https://www.safepilots.org/

I want to make sure my math is right for before and after March 22. I had FF but let it lapse as I haven't flown the last year. But getting ready to start again.

Current is $299.99. 66% of that (33% discount) is $197.99. Adding the $45 for SAFE would make it a total of $242.99. So a savings of $299.99 - $242.99 is a savings of $56.99 on the subscription by joining safe.

Then when it renews at $360, that would be $360 x 66% (33% discount) which is $237.60. Adding the $45 for SAFE would make it a total of $282.60. So a savings of $360 - $282.60 is a savings of $77.40 on the subscription by joining SAFE.

And this SAFE discount continues as long as you are a member? How do you apply that discount? Does FF allow for it when ordering?

I want to make sure my math is right for before and after March 22. I had FF but let it lapse as I haven't flown the last year. But getting ready to start again.

Current is $299.99. 66% of that (33% discount) is $197.99. Adding the $45 for SAFE would make it a total of $242.99. So a savings of $299.99 - $242.99 is a savings of $56.99 on the subscription by joining safe.

Then when it renews at $360, that would be $360 x 66% (33% discount) which is $237.60. Adding the $45 for SAFE would make it a total of $282.60. So a savings of $360 - $282.60 is a savings of $77.40 on the subscription by joining SAFE.

And this SAFE discount continues as long as you are a member? How do you apply that discount? Does FF allow for it when ordering?

First, I don't know that it's reasonable to include the cost of SAFE in the cost of FF directly, I mean most people find other benefits to SAFE that make it worthwhile even without the FF discount.

Second, FF does some kind of query of the SAFE membership list by email address. So, you join SAFE first and make sure you use the same email address for FF. Then if I remember right, it just automatically applies the discount once it checks your membership credentials. I think SAFE says there is some delay in there, but for me it was almost immediate.

FWIW- if you email them to ask why your plan is going away they will give you an extra month free of the new subscription price... Not much but...

Back