The Tenant owns me

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Or at least that what it looks like. I have a rental property in California and am thinking of moving there and into that property. [areyoucrazyyouwanttomovetothepeoplesrepublicofkalifornicatorsyoumustbeouttayourmindorsomecommiepinkosnowflakewhydon'tyoumovesomeheresaneliketennatexasseeorflorgiaorsomewhere] Now that we got that out of the way, here's the law there now concerning evicting renters so you can move into your own house.

(b) For purposes of this section, “just cause” includes either of the following:
(2) No-fault just cause, which includes any of the following:
(A) (i) Owner intent to occupy the residential property.
(ii) Clause (i) shall apply only if the tenant agrees, in writing, to the termination

Am I reading this right. I cannot remove the tenant to move into my own house if they don't want me to? Or am I missing something. Just looking for Lawyerly like interpretations of the Law here. I've already exhausted myself ranting and raving about the Law being enacted in the first place.

The assumption of the law seems to be that all tenants are crappy, and don’t plan on getting their deposits back.

Additionally, they are very poor money managers, as they apparently spend their last month’s rent that they don’t have to pay to the landlord who’s evicting them.

Have you talked to yhe tenant? Something like "hey, I want to move into my house, when can you leave?"

Are you saying that you agreed to a lease with a tenant and now you're wanting to terminate that lease prior to its expiration so that you can move into the house? Or are you saying that you'd like to move in at the conclusion of the lease?

Details matter. Anyhow, given the lack of them, I will interpret this as you wanting to kick a tenant out of their home mid-lease so that you can occupy it. In that case, yeah, I would guess you're going to hit an issue or two. What does the lease you executed say about this?

Personally, I wouldn't consider such a thing until the lease expired and I'd make my intentions of that clear prior to expiration. But I suppose that's because I see the tenant as a person vs an inconvenience to my poor planning.

If it is a month to month lease, it doesn't appear the CA No-fault penalties to the landlord apply. Of course, if the tenant claims a covid related reason the eviction may be stopped indefinitely.

Had a friend do this as they are moving into the property to take advantage of the tax break when selling it a few years.. They gave the tenants 6 months notice that they we're not going to renew the lease. No muss, no fuss and I believe he told me they moved out a few months early.

In your case, if they are paying the rent on time, etc... you have no just cause for an eviction. If you want them out prior to the lease ending you may want to incentivize them to work with you, that is give them a break on a months rent or help pay some of the relocating charges, give back the deposit in full what ever you chose to show them you not a ______________!

In California the way consumer laws are written (yes renters are consumers), they will always favor the consumer.

WhattheF...doyou wanttomovetothepeopleserpublicofkaliforniaforanyway?

I purposely do a "one" year lease....then it turns into a month to month. They can provide 30 day's notice to vacate ....or I can provide 30 day's notice. No one owns anyone in this situation. No one has to provide any reasons....

California?

If be surprised if you're not required to pay the tenant's moving expenses plus 6 months rent at his new place.

Or at least that what it looks like. I have a rental property in California and am thinking of moving there and into that property. [areyoucrazyyouwanttomovetothepeoplesrepublicofkalifornicatorsyoumustbeouttayourmindorsomecommiepinkosnowflakewhydon'tyoumovesomeheresaneliketennatexasseeorflorgiaorsomewhere] Now that we got that out of the way, here's the law there now concerning evicting renters so you can move into your own house.

(b) For purposes of this section, “just cause” includes either of the following:
(2) No-fault just cause, which includes any of the following:
(A) (i) Owner intent to occupy the residential property.
(ii) Clause (i) shall apply only if the tenant agrees, in writing, to the termination

Am I reading this right. I cannot remove the tenant to move into my own house if they don't want me to? Or am I missing something. Just looking for Lawyerly like interpretations of the Law here. I've already exhausted myself ranting and raving about the Law being enacted in the first place.

Raise the rent to reflect what you believe the market will bare. I suggest double based on home values nowa days.

It's behind a paywall

Here's the text of it. (Note that this article is discussing a city ordinance, not state law. I'm not sure what jurisdiction luvflyin is dealing with.)

An Oakland couple forced to pay more than $6,500 to move back into their own home lost their latest legal battle Wednesday, affirming — at least for now — a controversial city ordinance.

Lyndsey Ballinger and her wife, Sharon Ballinger, sued the city in 2018, claiming the hefty sum was unconstitutional and unfair. The fee came as a shock, they said, because they began renting out their home before Oakland passed the ordinance requiring landlords to compensate some tenants for relocating. When a federal judge dismissed the case in 2019, the Ballingers appealed. On Wednesday, the Ballingers lost again after a panel of appellate judges affirmed the trial court’s ruling, throwing out the couple’s case.

“They’re disappointed and considering their options,” said the Ballingers’ attorney, J. David Breemer with the Pacific Legal Foundation. The couple may take the case to the Supreme Court, he said.

The lawsuit took aim at Oakland’s Uniform Relocation Ordinance that requires landlords to pay tenants thousands of dollars if they are evicted for no fault of their own, such as making way for the owner or a family member to move in or when an apartment is converted into a condo. Tenants’ rights advocates say the ordinance helps displaced renters afford first and last month’s rent and a security deposit in a new place — and helps prevent them from becoming homeless in the Bay Area’s expensive rental market.

San Francisco, Berkeley and Palo Alto have similar ordinances, but landlords have complained the laws put an unfair burden on homeowners.

Oakland’s ordinance eases the hardship of eviction, particularly for tenants who lose their rent control status and are thrust into a significantly more expensive market, according to Oakland City Attorney Barbara Parker.

“This is a victory for the City of Oakland — and for tenants’ rights. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed what we have said since this litigation began: that the City’s Uniform Residential Tenant Relocation Ordinance is a lawful — and vital — protection for Oakland tenants against no-fault eviction,” Parker wrote in an emailed statement. “We hope this decision is also a message to all Oakland landlords that following the laws that support and protect tenants is not optional.”

The Ballingers lived in their three-bedroom home in Oakland until 2015, when both women, who were on active duty in the Air Force, were transferred to the Washington, D.C., area. They rented out their Oakland home while they were away. When they returned in 2018, they gave their tenants a two-month notice and made plans to move back in.

While the Ballingers were away, the City Council passed the relocation-payment ordinance. So the couple had to fork over $6,582.40 to get their tenants out.

Currently, Oakland requires landlords to pay qualifying tenants $7,447 to vacate a studio or one-bedroom unit, $9,166 to vacate a two-bedroom unit and $11,314 to vacate a three or more-bedroom unit. If the renter’s household includes low-income, elderly or disabled people, or children, they are entitled to an extra $2,500 per unit. The amounts are adjusted every year for inflation.

The Ballingers’ tenants lived in the house for less than two years, so their relocation payment was smaller.

Even so, that fee amounted to a “ransom” payment for a home being held hostage, the Ballingers claimed. They argued it was unconstitutional, as the city was taking their money without just compensation.

It was especially unfair, Breemer said, because they and the tenants signed a lease before the ordinance was passed.

But the Ninth Circuit opinion glossed over that fact, Breemer said.

The judges found Oakland has a right to impose the relocation fee.

“Here, the ordinance imposes a transaction cost to terminate a lease agreement,” Judge Ryan Nelson wrote on behalf of the panel. “We see little difference between lawful regulations, like rent control, and the ordinance’s regulation of the landlord-tenant relationship here. Thus, the relocation fee is not an unconstitutional physical taking.”​

In fairness to CA, the listed article refers to a relocation payment ordinance the city of Oakland passed in 2018. The article deals with the federal lawsuit the former military couple (landlords) lost now twice on appeal. Though the article says other jurisdictions in the bay area have similar ordinances, it is not a burden all California jurisdictions impose on landlords.

That particular issue that the lawsuit deals with is not germane to the OPs question, which is the legality of just cause for termination of a lease. It is not clear however, whether the OPs situation deals with attempting to terminate an agreement early, or merely attempt to not renew the lease for the purposes of moving in upon expiration of lease agreement term. The OP hasn't said which scenario is his situation.

It's also not established which jurisdiction in CA we're talking about. That matters, as not all jurisdictions in CA have the impositions Oakland and other Bay area cities have imposed on landlords. Even looking at Oakland's Just Cause for Eviction ordinance, intent to move back as a primary residency is an allowed reason for the property owner to proceed with a notice of termination/eviction, with listed exceptions.

As @jesse said, details matter here. Heck, even here in Yosemite Sam laws Texas, you can't terminate a lease on a tenant with a fixed term without just cause (which texas merely defines as violation of the lease terms). You have to wait until the end of the term. The only distinction is that in TX you don't have to give notice at all once the term expires. (month to month extensions have different tenancy termination provisions, which of course are even more liberal for the landlord, as expected.)

Did you intentionally not post the whole rule?

"For leases entered into on or after July 1, 2020, clause (i) shall apply only if the tenant agrees, in writing, to the termination, or if a provision of the lease allows the owner to terminate the lease if the owner, or their spouse, domestic partner, children, grandchildren, parents, or grandparents, unilaterally decides to occupy the residential real property. Addition of a provision allowing the owner to terminate the lease as described in this clause to a new or renewed rental agreement or fixed-term lease constitutes a similar provision for the purposes of subparagraph (E) of paragraph (1)."

It was your responsibility to insert this provision into the lease. If you didn't do that, then you will have to get the tenant to agree. Maybe this is a cash for keys situation.

Remember, if you terminate for a no fault just cause, you are going to have to give them one months rent in "relocation assistance".

(d) (1) For a tenancy for which just cause is required to terminate the tenancy under subdivision (a), if an owner of residential real property issues a termination notice based on a no-fault just cause described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (b), the owner shall, regardless of the tenant’s income, at the owner’s option, do one of the following:
(A) Assist the tenant to relocate by providing a direct payment to the tenant as described in paragraph (3).
(B) Waive in writing the payment of rent for the final month of the tenancy, prior to the rent becoming due.
(2) If an owner issues a notice to terminate a tenancy for no-fault just cause, the owner shall notify the tenant of the tenant’s right to relocation assistance or rent waiver pursuant to this section. If the owner elects to waive the rent for the final month of the tenancy as provided in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1), the notice shall state the amount of rent waived and that no rent is due for the final month of the tenancy.
(3) (A) The amount of relocation assistance or rent waiver shall be equal to one month of the tenant’s rent that was in effect when the owner issued the notice to terminate the tenancy. Any relocation assistance shall be provided within 15 calendar days of service of the notice.

I also want to make sure that AB 1482 even applies to you. Is this a single family home? If so, as long as it is owned in your name and not an LLC or corporation, then AB 1482 doesn't even apply to you. This is of course assuming you gave them the required notice per (B) below.

(e) This section shall not apply to the following types of residential real properties or residential circumstances:
(1) Transient and tourist hotel occupancy as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 1940.
(2) Housing accommodations in a nonprofit hospital, religious facility, extended care facility, licensed residential care facility for the elderly, as defined in Section 1569.2 of the Health and Safety Code, or an adult residential facility, as defined in Chapter 6 of Division 6 of Title 22 of the Manual of Policies and Procedures published by the State Department of Social Services.
(3) Dormitories owned and operated by an institution of higher education or a kindergarten and grades 1 to 12, inclusive, school.
(4) Housing accommodations in which the tenant shares bathroom or kitchen facilities with the owner who maintains their principal residence at the residential real property.
(5) Single-family owner-occupied residences, including a residence in which the owner-occupant rents or leases no more than two units or bedrooms, including, but not limited to, an accessory dwelling unit or a junior accessory dwelling unit.
(6) A duplex in which the owner occupied one of the units as the owner’s principal place of residence at the beginning of the tenancy, so long as the owner continues in occupancy.
(7) Housing that has been issued a certificate of occupancy within the previous 15 years.
(8) Residential real property that is alienable separate from the title to any other dwelling unit, provided that both of the following apply:
(A) The owner is not any of the following:
(i) A real estate investment trust, as defined in Section 856 of the Internal Revenue Code.
(ii) A corporation.
(iii) A limited liability company in which at least one member is a corporation.

(B) (i) The tenants have been provided written notice that the residential property is exempt from this section using the following statement:

I knew I guy, slumlord style, he would send a maintenance guy to a place that wasn’t paying rent that he wanted out to take the front door off the place. Told them he was painting it…wouldn’t put it back. They be out in less than a week

If I really wanted a tenant out I'd jack the rent. Works every time.

California AB 1482 includes a rent cap.

"Subject to subdivision (b), an owner of residential real property shall not, over the course of any 12-month period, increase the gross rental rate for a dwelling or a unit more than 5 percent plus the percentage change in the cost of living, or 10 percent, whichever is lower, of the lowest gross rental rate charged for that dwelling or unit at any time during the 12 months prior to the effective date of the increase. "

if you're wanting to cut the tenant's lease short - you're behaving in such a way that the law protects your tenant.

If you simply don't wish to renew the lease, then that's your prerogative.

California AB 1482 does not allow you to simply not renew the lease. A tenant must be allowed to stay unless there is a just cause, whether at-fault or no-fault.

"(a) Notwithstanding any other law, after a tenant has continuously and lawfully occupied a residential real property for 12 months, the owner of the residential real property shall not terminate the tenancy without just cause, which shall be stated in the written notice to terminate tenancy. "

Are you saying that you agreed to a lease with a tenant and now you're wanting to terminate that lease prior to its expiration so that you can move into the house? Or are you saying that you'd like to move in at the conclusion of the lease?

Details matter. Anyhow, given the lack of them, I will interpret this as you wanting to kick a tenant out of their home mid-lease so that you can occupy it. In that case, yeah, I would guess you're going to hit an issue or two. What does the lease you executed say about this?

Personally, I wouldn't consider such a thing until the lease expired and I'd make my intentions of that clear prior to expiration. But I suppose that's because I see the tenant as a person vs an inconvenience to my poor planning.
It's a Month to Month rental, so early termination of Lease is not at issue.

Last edited:
If it is a month to month lease, it doesn't appear the CA No-fault penalties to the landlord apply. Of course, if the tenant claims a covid related reason the eviction may be stopped indefinitely.
It's a month to month, but I've dug pretty deep, and that does not change 1946.2 as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Had a friend do this as they are moving into the property to take advantage of the tax break when selling it a few years.. They gave the tenants 6 months notice that they we're not going to renew the lease. No muss, no fuss and I believe he told me they moved out a few months early.

In your case, if they are paying the rent on time, etc... you have no just cause for an eviction. If you want them out prior to the lease ending you may want to incentivize them to work with you, that is give them a break on a months rent or help pay some of the relocating charges, give back the deposit in full what ever you chose to show them you not a ______________!

In California the way consumer laws are written (yes renters are consumers), they will always favor the consumer.
There is Just Cause. It's a No-fault just cause as opposed to an At-fault just cause.

California?

If be surprised if you're not required to pay the tenant's moving expenses plus 6 months rent at his new place.
The law says 2 months rent if they've been there less than 2 years. 3 months rent if more than 2 years

"For leases entered into on or after July 1, 2020, clause (i) shall apply only if the tenant agrees, in writing, to the termination, or if a provision of the lease allows the owner to terminate the lease if the owner, or their spouse, domestic partner, children, grandchildren, parents, or grandparents, unilaterally decides to occupy the residential real property. Addition of a provision allowing the owner to terminate the lease as described in this clause to a new or renewed rental agreement or fixed-term lease constitutes a similar provision for the purposes of subparagraph (E) of paragraph (1)."

It was your responsibility to insert this provision into the lease. If you didn't do that, then you will have to get the tenant to agree. Maybe this is a cash for keys situation.

Remember, if you terminate for a no fault just cause, you are going to have to give them one months rent in "relocation assistance".

(d) (1) For a tenancy for which just cause is required to terminate the tenancy under subdivision (a), if an owner of residential real property issues a termination notice based on a no-fault just cause described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (b), the owner shall, regardless of the tenant’s income, at the owner’s option, do one of the following:
(A) Assist the tenant to relocate by providing a direct payment to the tenant as described in paragraph (3).
(B) Waive in writing the payment of rent for the final month of the tenancy, prior to the rent becoming due.
(2) If an owner issues a notice to terminate a tenancy for no-fault just cause, the owner shall notify the tenant of the tenant’s right to relocation assistance or rent waiver pursuant to this section. If the owner elects to waive the rent for the final month of the tenancy as provided in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1), the notice shall state the amount of rent waived and that no rent is due for the final month of the tenancy.
(3) (A) The amount of relocation assistance or rent waiver shall be equal to one month of the tenant’s rent that was in effect when the owner issued the notice to terminate the tenancy. Any relocation assistance shall be provided within 15 calendar days of service of the notice.
Yes I intentionally just posted part of it. The other No-fault just causes do not apply to my situation.

(B) Withdrawal of the residential property from the rental market.
(C) Unsafe habitation, as determined by a government agency that has issued an order to vacate, order to comply, or other order that necessitates vacating the residential property.
(D) Intent to demolish or to substantially remodel.

That doesn't seem to be the current Law that is in effect, 1946.2:

(d) If a lessor of residential property issues a notice to terminate tenancy for no-fault just cause, the lessor shall assist the lessee, regardless of the lessee’s income, to relocate by providing a direct payment to the lessee. If a lessor issues a notice to terminate tenancy for no-fault just cause, the lessor shall notify the lessee of the lessee’s right to relocation assistance pursuant to this section.

(1) The amount of relocation assistance shall be determined as follows:

(A) If the lessee has resided in the rental property for six months or more, but less than two years, the amount shall be equal to two months’ rent.

(B) If the lessee has resided in the rental property for two years or more, the amount shall be equal to three months’ rent.

I also want to make sure that AB 1482 even applies to you. Is this a single family home? If so, as long as it is owned in your name and not an LLC or corporation, then AB 1482 doesn't even apply to you. This is of course assuming you gave them the required notice per (B) below.

(e) This section shall not apply to the following types of residential real properties or residential circumstances:
(1) Transient and tourist hotel occupancy as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 1940.
(2) Housing accommodations in a nonprofit hospital, religious facility, extended care facility, licensed residential care facility for the elderly, as defined in Section 1569.2 of the Health and Safety Code, or an adult residential facility, as defined in Chapter 6 of Division 6 of Title 22 of the Manual of Policies and Procedures published by the State Department of Social Services.
(3) Dormitories owned and operated by an institution of higher education or a kindergarten and grades 1 to 12, inclusive, school.
(4) Housing accommodations in which the tenant shares bathroom or kitchen facilities with the owner who maintains their principal residence at the residential real property.
(5) Single-family owner-occupied residences, including a residence in which the owner-occupant rents or leases no more than two units or bedrooms, including, but not limited to, an accessory dwelling unit or a junior accessory dwelling unit.
(6) A duplex in which the owner occupied one of the units as the owner’s principal place of residence at the beginning of the tenancy, so long as the owner continues in occupancy.
(7) Housing that has been issued a certificate of occupancy within the previous 15 years.
(8) Residential real property that is alienable separate from the title to any other dwelling unit, provided that both of the following apply:
(A) The owner is not any of the following:
(i) A real estate investment trust, as defined in Section 856 of the Internal Revenue Code.
(ii) A corporation.
(iii) A limited liability company in which at least one member is a corporation.

(B) (i) The tenants have been provided written notice that the residential property is exempt from this section using the following statement:

AB 1482 is not at issue here. I'm not raising the rent.

AB 1482 is a statewide act that has two main functions: it limits rent increases and removes the right of landlords to evict tenants without just cause. Rent Increases: AB 1482 restricts the allowable annual rent increase to 5% plus a local cost-of-living adjustment of no more than 5%, for a maximum increase of 10%

I knew I guy, slumlord style, he would send a maintenance guy to a place that wasn’t paying rent that he wanted out to take the front door off the place. Told them he was painting it…wouldn’t put it back. They be out in less than a week
Who? The tenant outta the house? Or the owner outta jail? That is explicitly against the law and the tenant can have the owners azz if they pursue it.

Back