What's with "SEEYUH!"?

cruiserandmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cruiserandmax
What's with shouting "SEEYUH" in your deepest voice at the end of handoff readbacks? I feel like I hear that a lot nowadays (from pilots and controllers)- mostly jet guys(?). Has this always been a thing, just maybe becoming more common? Since the 80's, if I'm sayin' it- I say "see ya" in a normal tone. I feel like I'm being left out :D.

That’s a thing I’ve hearing for 20+ years. Seems to come and go in popularity.

It was VERY popular amongst USAF tanker pilots on UHF common as they departed the procedural routes from Afghanistan and Iraq. And then all the foreign AF pilots started emulating them. I have no idea where it originated, but it was certainly perpetuated there.

Years ago there was a controller in the PA area that would do it all the time.... but in a normal pitch. I assumed it was just his normal speech habit.

It can get derogatory.
see you next time.
see u next time
cee u next time

It has happened when a controller of a certain gender has pizzed a pilot off

It was VERY popular amongst USAF tanker pilots on UHF common as they departed the procedural routes from Afghanistan and Iraq. And then all the foreign AF pilots started emulating them. I have no idea where it originated, but it was certainly perpetuated there.

As opposed to Aviano approach that was always "Ciao bye bye" :D

I've been using g'day for a long time.

I've found out acknowledging transmissions with Thank You works pretty well.

The thing in the OP wasn't about just saying see ya. It was about doing it in a deep voice? I'm waiting on some of our currently flying airline pilots to check in here about this. @jordane93 , @kayoh190 .

The thing in the OP wasn't about just saying see ya. It was about doing it in a deep voice? I'm waiting on some of our currently flying airline pilots to check in here about this. @jordane93 , @kayoh190 .

I've heard it over the years, primarily in the NE. I don't think there's anything behind it beyond someone signing off in what they feel is an amusing way. I've always thought that if you think you're being 'cute' on the radio, there's a very high chance that everyone else thinks you're an idiot.

I've always thought that if you think you're being 'cute' on the radio, there's a very high chance that everyone else thinks you're an idiot.

....or that maybe, just maybe, you are f***ing up something else that is more important, but you are too busy trying to sound cool to notice

Actually just heard it over CHA approach tonight. Made me think of this thread.

As others have said, it really isn’t new. I remember pilots doing it back in the 90s when I worked approach. I remember a particular Harrier pilot who popped up off the VR route looking to pick up his IFR to the air station. When I switched him to tower he was like “Stone11 push tower 340.2…seeee ya!” I actually laughed a bit. Guy was way too motivated to be out flying that day.:D

Last edited:
It’s the same reason they get on the PA with a deep voice and say, “Uuuuuh, ladies and gentlemen, from the flight deck. . . .”

It's not just in aviation either. I've heard it elsewhere. There has to be some original source, like a movie or something.

As opposed to Aviano approach that was always "Ciao bye bye" :D
OMG! That brought a chuckle.

Some of the expressions used by male non-native english speakers in that part of the world, when spoken in english sound very un-masculine. The first time I was deployed over there ('92) and had some guy say to me, "ciao, bye-bye!" I didn't even know how to respond. I started just saying, "yeah, see-ya!" -Maybe that's where it came from.

Last edited:
I end all conversations and online meetings with "See ya!" Always have. I think it was from growing up in California in the '70s. Same with "Dude!"

I begin all emails, letters and conversations with "Howdy!" I learned that from my Dad.

I refer to idiots and bad guys as "Pal." I learned that from Magnum, PI.

I was with a student the other day & we were number one to land with a PC-12 behind us & an SR22 behind him. After we cleared the runway tower told the PC-12 they were cleared to land & told the SR22 to follow the Pilatus & that they were #2.

The SR22 pilot said "Roger, we have the platypus in sight." My student & chuckled but I have the feeling this has been said before.

Haven't done KFIN - KRYY in a while, but JAX has "aloha guy". Always signs off with Aloha when sending you to a new freq.

Last edited:
OMG! That brought a chuckle.

Some of the expressions used by male non-native english speakers in that part of the world, when spoken in english sound very un-masculine. The first time I was deployed over there ('92) and had some guy say to me, "ciao, bye-bye!" I didn't even know how to respond. I started just saying, "yeah, see-ya!" -Maybe that's where it came from.
Didja do it in your best Barry White voice?

Haven't done KFIN - KRYY in a while, but JAX has "aloha guy". Always signs off with Aloha when sending you to a new freq.
Once a newer controller brought the subject up about is it proper to say things like "good day" etc when giving frequency changes. For the next half hour or so I did it in every language I could think of. Ciao, Sayonarra, Aloha, Arriverdeci. There were more that I can't remember. Once it got started pilots started acknowledging with others. I got one "Vaya Con Dios." It woulda been to cool to have gotten a Hasta La Vista Baby but never got one...

I usually sign off with good morning/afternoon/evening but sometimes I will get a cya back. I’ve heard cya though for as long as I’ve been flying, but it does seem to be more popular now.

Back