Well, I certainly found the most expensive way to get to Florida.

Umm..well...that will do it. Obviously good job getting it on the ground in one piece!

Any theories on how the oil found its way out?

Oh no! :eek:

Glad it looks like you got it safely on the ground.

Looks like you have a little oil leak there. Might want to check that.

Good job getting it on the ground safely.

Aviation is the most enjoyable and frustrating thing I've ever done.... Airplane ownership is #2

Reminds me of the time some Line Bozo left the oil cap off and the Other Bozo flying the plane didn’t check it before taking off.

Cheers

Jim,

Didnt you have a similar issue with your last airplane...or is my memory failing?

Umm..well...that will do it. Obviously good job getting it on the ground in one piece!

Any theories on how the oil found its way out?
It appears that the plug that covers the hole the governor drive shaft is inserted into snapped off for some reason. The head of the plug is dangling by the safety wire. We'll know for sure once the prop is off.

Thank God I was about 8 miles from an airport. I couldn't see it, but luckily Teresa was able to see it out her side window and get me lined up with the RW until we were low enough I could see the edge through my little corner. I tried to load an approach, but couldn't get it to activate that close in.

The engine ran normally until I shut it off. Oil pressure was low but not zero, and oil temp was still in the green. There's some chance the engine will be OK.

Where the oil is seems like a seal or prop governor tube

It appears that the plug that covers the hole the governor drive shaft is inserted into snapped off for some reason. The head of the plug is dangling by the safety wire. We'll know for sure once the prop is off.

Thank God I was about 8 miles from an airport. I couldn't see it, but luckily Teresa was able to see it out her side window and get me lined up with the RW until we were low enough I could see the edge through my little corner. I tried to load an approach, but couldn't get it to activate that close in.

The engine ran normally until I shut it off. Oil pressure was low but not zero, and oil temp was still in the green. There's some chance the engine will be OK.
I misread

Jim,

Didnt you have a similar issue with your last airplane...or is my memory failing?
I declared about 6 months ago in st louis. Same plane. That turned out to be a bad mag.

It made me laugh... just like last time I declared the emergency and atc told me to descend. Once again I had to tell them I'd be staying at my altitude. Turned out I had to make a 360 on final to lose some altitude. Oh well. Better too much than not enough.

I misread
No kidding? I don't remember seeing that one. That plug sure looked like aluminum though from what I could see of it.

I declared about 6 months ago in st louis. Same plane. That turned out to be a bad mag.

It made me laugh... just like last time I declared the emergency and atc told me to descend. Once again I had to tell them I'd be staying at my altitude. Turned out I had to make a 360 on final to lose some altitude. Oh well. Better too much than not enough.

No kidding? I don't remember seeing that one. That plug sure looked like aluminum though from what I could see of it.
I'll find the AD. When I re-read you said "shaft" so I'm confused.

Wow! I've heard of big bug splats, but this really takes the cake!

Happy you are all down safe! Great job!!!!

Sorry to hear of the mishap, but anytime you can post photos of healthy family members standing around looking at the aircraft, it's not really a bad day, in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I keep vascillating between being down about the money and hassle, and ecstatic about the best possible outcome given the situation. If that plug was going to let go, it picked about the best spot it could've.

Jim:

I want to put some substance to my claim on the low "safe" oil level. Maybe this will ease some of your concerns?

I know this is from the Turbocharged cousin, but the statement in the manual seems to imply that this is valid family-wide.

2 3/4.

IMG_8788.jpg

Jim:

I want to put some substance to my claim on the low "safe" oil level. Maybe this will ease some of your concerns?

I know this is from the Turbocharged cousin, but the statement in the manual seems to imply that this is valid family-wide.

2 3/4.

View attachment 104474
I think i saw 2.5 in my book. Don't know how much I lost, but it was a bunch. Dipstick wouldn't catch any. The fact that it still had SOME oil pressure when I shut it off gives me hope. My concern is if the oil pressure was sufficient to keep the spinny bits away from the non-spinny bits. I'd hate to get halfway back home and lose it totally in a more inhospitable spot.

I can't believe how well behaved your little boy is there. I woulda had my hands all in that oil on the cowling..

My kid would have, also. You think your mom will let you come over and play with him? Seems like you'd get along.

Did the shaft that the cap retains remain in place? If not, and the shaft worked it’s way out far enough that the gear fell off you’ll be disassembling the engine.

Sounds like it may be ok.

Back