Getting an airplane back in service after years in a hangar.

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I have a Grumman Tiger that's been hangared for maybe 8 years. Engine has had an engine drier on it. Anyone got any tips or know of good guidance for getting it back in service.

Anyone got any tips or know of good guidance for getting it back in service.
I would sit down with your APIA and come up with a plan and discuss his concerns with signing off the next annual.

I went through the same thing on an identical aircraft.

suggests:

1. Replace Impulse Coupling Spring
( lack of corrosion preventing oil while sitting causes them to break)

2. Remove LOWER Spark Plugs and squirt/spray oil UP to reduce dry start issues.
Rotate prop while they are out.

3. Check the battery area for corrosion.

4 . Sitting often causes electrical contacts to tarnish/corrode.
Verify operation of all things electrical. Including radios!

After that it would be a thorough inspection with fingers crossed and hoping no critters were involved.

also check flexible fuel lines and hoses?

Wheel Bearings and Races develop brinell marks from sitting. Never seem to wear out though.

fyi. The local Bearing Houses have figured out which units are for aircraft.
Coincidentally ; there was a price change!

Would definitely do an oil change and a very long preoil before ever moving the prop.

as to the mags, I would just overhaul them for good measure. that much time is really hard on them.

I did the same thing with my Tiger. Just give the best Annual inspection it ever got. Anything rubber is likley rotted. New hoses are probably needed. dont forget the brake hoses. maybe pull jugs and check cam. Mine had one bad lobe.

I've put several airplanes back in the ari after years of sitting. Several sat in Farmers barns. It's always interesting, and expect the unexpected. All of them were in dry climates. Some had mice in them that required major wiring. I flew most of them out of the "corn" field where I found them. But over all, they all flew and became surprisingly reliable. Just look at all the items that will deteriorate with weather. Replace rubber stuff. Fluids and expect to replace again after some short use. But airplanes will surprise you with their ability to endure. The simpler the better.

I would recommend "Power plant Resurrection" by Savvy Aviation.

Last edited:
I went through the same thing on an identical aircraft.

suggests:

1. Replace Impulse Coupling Spring
( lack of corrosion preventing oil while sitting causes them to break)

2. Remove LOWER Spark Plugs and squirt/spray oil UP to reduce dry start issues.
Rotate prop while they are out.

3. Check the battery area for corrosion.

4 . Sitting often causes electrical contacts to tarnish/corrode.
Verify operation of all things electrical. Including radios!

After that it would be a thorough inspection with fingers crossed and hoping no critters were involved.

Might as well check the resistance of your spark plugs as well.

I would assume inspection panels have been pulled to check for corrosion and critters.

Drain fuel tanks, check condition of sealant/bladders, pull fresh fuel in tanks, check for leaks.

Grease/lub anything that moves.

If oil isn’t clean, change oil/filter, repeat after 10 hours.

Anything made of rubber or any liquid should be changed.

There is a specialty tool for this.

819F4hApxyL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Replace all rubber including every hose, drain and inspect fuel tanks, new ignition harnesses, overhaul mags, flow test fuel system with fresh fuel then check and clean all filters, change engine oil and fog cylinders prior to first start.

Back