Connecting a 430W to a KI209A

Mike262

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
exlration262
New to the forum and was hoping someone could explain the wiring connection between a Garmin 430W and a KI209A CDI. Particularly the connection at "Pin 2 "GPS annunciate" on the 430 P4001 connector and Pin 1 and 36 "relay engage" (14 volt) on the KI209A connector. The 430 does not require a switch between Nav and GPS as the KI209A is showing. And the 430W installation manual refers you to the KI209A installation manual for the correct connection between Pin 2(430) and the relay engage pins on the KI209A. I've posted the diagrams for both the 430W and the KI209A. Can anyone help out Please?

Attachments

• 430 connection to KI209A.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 27
  • KI209A connection.pdf
    986.6 KB · Views: 24
Appears to me to be pins 1 and 36 on the indicator.

Appears to me to be pins 1 and 36 on the indicator.

Doing that renders the NAV side of the 430 inop. GPS works as it should but no VOR, or localizer tracking or TO/FROM flags.

Looks to me like pin 2 on gps to pin 5 on 209a. Then switch pins 1 and 36 on 209a to ground to switch between gps and vor.

Hope I am correct ?...

Looks to me like pin 2 on gps to pin 5 on 209a. Then switch pins 1 and 36 on 209a to ground to switch between gps and vor.

Hope I am correct ?...
How do you arrive at your answer? You're saying pin 2 (gps annunciate) on the GPS connector should go to pin 5 (dimmer low) on the CDI which is also ground? Grounding pins 1 and 36 on the CDI makes sense in-fact I've done that to simulate a switch which grounds pins 1 and 36 and it woke up the NAV side of the CDI with the exception of the localizer "TO" flag. VOR signals worked great. Just no localizer flag activation.

I just glanced at the wiring diagram...not an expert. The 209A install manual does verify pin 5 as a panel light ground...you are correct. That is what happens when you get in a hurry and don't read the manual...sorry.

The 5 figure is not a pin on the 209, it is only a note number 5. Duh..sorry..

So you annunciate the gps by grounding pin 2.

You switch the modes on the 209A by grounding pins 1 and 36 as you know.

The composite localizer signal should activate the loc flag.

Do you have the KI-209A install manual ?

Do you have a vor/ localizer generator ?

Last edited:
I just glanced at the wiring diagram...not an expert. The 209A install manual does verify pin 5 as a panel light ground...you are correct. That is what happens when you get in a hurry and don't read the manual...sorry.

Do you have the KI-209A install manual ?

Do you have a vor/ localizer generator ?

Yes I have the manual for the KI209A. (included in this post)
Do not have a signal generator. We tested in flight.

Attachments

• KI209A Install Manual.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 24
Sounds like you have it wired correctly. Do you hear a strong LOC signal on the NAV radio ? The flag is an internal function of the 209.. since you are sending it a composite signal.

Sounds like you have it wired correctly. Do you hear a strong LOC signal on the NAV radio ? The flag is an internal function of the 209.. since you are sending it a composite signal.

Yes, strong signal through audio and verified through the second NAV and CDI.

Read the notes. The Garmin GNS manual refers you to the indicator manual because the pin to use on the indicator changes if you have a 12 or 24 volt system. The diagram you posted from the indicator manual depicts this. You use pin 1 OR 36, not both.

Read the notes. The Garmin GNS manual refers you to the indicator manual because the pin to use on the indicator changes if you have a 12 or 24 volt system. The diagram you posted from the indicator manual depicts this. You use pin 1 OR 36, not both.

I'm aware of the notes in the 209A manual pertaining to the difference between 14 and 28 volt systems. I apologize for not posting more of the manual but I didn't think the diagram showing both pins 1 AND 36 are both connected to the switch. The notes related to engage A and engage B are in the file I uploaded and at the bottom of the page.

Attachments

• Relay engage notes.pdf
    260.2 KB · Views: 7
If everything is working except the LOC flag, and you have confirmed the LOC signal is good, the flag circuitry inside the 209A may be an issue. I am assuming you have all the other wiring as shown on the diagrams in your original post.

Sorry I can't help more...good luck.

If everything is working except the LOC flag, and you have confirmed the LOC signal is good, the flag circuitry inside the 209A may be an issue. I am assuming you have all the other wiring as shown on the diagrams in your original post.

Sorry I can't help more...good luck.

Correct, and thank you.

According to the pinout posted in the OP, for a 14 volt system, pins 1 and 36 are interconnected, and switched to ground to engage the gps input.
Also need Aircraft power to pins 35 and 37. for the whole thing to work.

Last edited:
Also, did you add the 10k resistors where needed?

Also, did you add the 10k resistors where needed?
Yes the 10k resistors are in the harness.
Correct on pins 35 and 37.
I understand that a switch grounds out the relays on the 209A when a gps and a separate nav unit are installed. The garmin manual states you can forgo the switch as long as it's the 430 and not the 400 or 420. So, if pins 1 and 37 are to be grounded where does pin 2 from the 430 go? The gps diagram shows a switch grounding the 2 pin on the gps as well as the 1 and 37 pins on the 209A but that's only for the 400 and 420. The 430 has built in nav so where does the 2 pin coming from the 430 go? Does it also go to ground?

It would appear that pin 2 on the 430, would connect to pins 1 and 37 on the 209. What would be the problem with installing the switch anyway, and remove all doubt? While mandatory for the 400, and 420, it appears optional for the 430. In this case without the full manual, for the 430, and only the pinouts, I'm just making an educated guess. In the 430 manual, there will be some sentences describing P4001 pin 2, and what to do with it. I imagine it will be the ground source for the 209 pins 37 and 1. when APP is selected, on the 430.

Yes that's how it appears to connect. However I've made this connection and it renders the NAV side of the 430 inop. No VOR/LOC activation at all. GPS side works normally. If I disconnect pin 2 from pins 1 and 37 and ground pins 1 and 37 the VOR on the nav side of the gps wakes up but still I still get a flag while tracking a localizer. I haven't grounded pin
The 430 install manual does have a small paragraph on on pin 2 (gps annunciate). I've uploaded the page below.

Attachments

• GPS annunciate pin 2 page..pdf
    434.2 KB · Views: 5
It would appear that pin 2 on the 430, would connect to pins 1 and 37 on the 209. What would be the problem with installing the switch anyway, and remove all doubt? While mandatory for the 400, and 420, it appears optional for the 430. In this case without the full manual, for the 430, and only the pinouts, I'm just making an educated guess. In the 430 manual, there will be some sentences describing P4001 pin 2, and what to do with it. I imagine it will be the ground source for the 209 pins 37 and 1. when APP is selected, on the 430.

I forgot to upload another page. (pin 2)

Attachments

• annunciate page.pdf
    215.6 KB · Views: 4
That page has you refer to section 5.3.3. So there's yet another page with more info.

Attachments

• GNS430W_InstallationManual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 7
  • KI209A Install Manual.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
Back