Martha Lunken - Bridges - Log Book Hours?

No. See post #55.

Interesting that 91.225(d) is also present which specifies the airspaces where operation is required. I wonder if the intent of (f) was actually at all times, or it was only supposed to apply at all times while in the airspaces mentioned in (d).

It also raises the question of what happens if you have equipment which is using the transponder output to generate the ADS-B out and you turn off the transponder where allowed outside controlled airspace?

The regs don't speak of intent. The enforcement language is pretty clear. I had an FAA guy say I could disable my ADS-B using 91.213 but the ABS-B regs say that I'd have to coordinate subsequent flights with the FAA. They tied the noose pretty tight on this one. I've looked for a legal way to select/deselect ADS-B when outside of rule airspace. I can't find one.

So one would have to think about what constitutes failure to be equipped. What if you remove a connection between the power and the ADS-B out? Is it still "equipped"? I guess this might also require a logbook entry.

The other approach would be to look back at the enabling legislation and the corresponding comment period on the rule-making and see if there is a basis for a challenge there.

Seems like a lot of work to avoid it but I suppose a case may come up which justifies it.

Interesting that 91.225(d) is also present which specifies the airspaces where operation is required. I wonder if the intent of (f) was actually at all times, or it was only supposed to apply at all times while in the airspaces mentioned in (d).

It also raises the question of what happens if you have equipment which is using the transponder output to generate the ADS-B out and you turn off the transponder where allowed outside controlled airspace?
Then you are violating the regs. The ADSB transmitters I've seen controlled by a switch require a placard stating it must be on at all times.

Then you are violating the regs. The ADSB transmitters I've seen controlled by a switch require a placard stating it must be on at all times.

Different situation that was perhaps not clear. What if one turns off the normal transponder, not the ADS-B out unit?

For the ones which depend on the transponder signal, it seems like this would effectively turn off the ADS-B out transmissions, even if the unit is still switched on.

Likely better for those who care to try and challenge the reg directly.

The line 30 wording on 9-14 of the FAA's enforcement bulletin spells out your answer. A mode C broadcasting 1200 doesn't identify the airplane so they'd probably never chase you for it. Mode S and ADS-B are traceable.

Disclaimer:I don’t know anything about her other than what I have read in her articles. I don’t know her mental state and/or how “with it” she is.

However, if she actually thinks and acts like she portrays in her articles (and maybe they’re embellished)....the biggest thing she needs isn’t instruction, it’s an attitude adjustment. She strikes me as having one of the biggest entitled chips on her shoulder I’ve ever seen. Again, could just be her writing style...but if it’s reality, no amount of instruction and/or checkrides are going to prevent her from repeating her mistakes.

I suppose it could indeed be her writing style. If so, then shame on the editors of the mags she writes for. Even if embellished, she/they are “normalizing” inappropriate and dangerous aviation behavior, even if it didn’t actually occur, IMHO.

I stopped reading her stuff a while ago - just too cranky and self-righteous. Well, not completely: I did scan some later articles to confirm she threw in the gratuitous reference to Lunken Field. Nearly 100%, as I recall…

Even if it could be somehow established to be legal, flying under a bridge still wouldn't be! (Except for sea planes?)

If the bridge was at least 500' (plus your rudder height) above the water and had 1000' (plus you wingspan) between the towers, it would seem to be possible to legally fly under it.

Regardless of bridge size, it should be legal for helicopters, powered parachutes, weightshift aircraft, and ultralights, all of which are exempt from 91.119 (minimum safe altitudes) to fly under a bridge, unless they could show it's "careless or reckless". An ultralight isn't allowed to fly over any "congested area", but it doesn't say anything about flying under a congested area...

Martha should've done it in one of those.

I'm assuming an old piper cub with no electrical doesn't have to have an ADSB.

Regardless of bridge size, it should be legal for helicopters, powered parachutes, weightshift aircraft, and ultralights, all of which are exempt from 91.119 (minimum safe altitudes) to fly under a bridge, unless they could show it's "careless or reckless". An ultralight isn't allowed to fly over any "congested area", but it doesn't say anything about flying under a congested area...

Martha should've done it in one of those.
I'm pretty sure it's legal for helicopters. I've seen many of them fly under the Golden Gate. Airplanes, not so much.

I'm assuming an old piper cub with no electrical doesn't have to have an ADSB.
No airplane has to have ADS-B... if you stay out of airspace where it's required. But yes, a no-electric plane is exempt from the requirement to have mode C or ADS-B in the mode C veil around class B airports.

Assuming she was flying out of LUK she had to have it on for the controlled airspace. Right before reaching the bridge (from the direction of LUK) she would've left the 30 mile veil. You know damn well CVG approach still had her on the scope even if that's where she shut off the ADSB. Furthermore she was busted by an ODOT traffic (and sadly, suicide jumper) camera that got her tail #, and then it went to the FAA that way. Wouldn't be hard to trace a target that was squawking / ADSB then turned it off right at the same time that the bridge flight occurred.

Add to it that she has a published article talking about previously evading detection for busting the CLE Class B, and has a few pieces of bent metal to her name that come back to stupid pilot tricks, and she's a bit of a repeat offender, which got the book thrown at her as such.

She's basically the Tom Wilson of GA and the FAA is better than Parros. (Any hockey fans here)

She's basically the Tom Wilson of GA and the FAA is better than Parros. (Any hockey fans here)

Triggered. Saint Tommy is clean as ivory soap and completely innocent of doing anything other than standing up for his goaltender. Unfortunately his high level of skill has attracted the sports media/Twitter mob, who are jealous they don’t have him on their team.

Several years ago, I almost had the opportunity to work with a gentleman who had voluntarily surrendered his pilot certificate to the FAA. I forget the circumstances, but I think it created the same situation - he would have to retake the tests and meet the time requirements and such. It never happened for various reasons, but I thought the path would be interesting, and I kind of looked forward to hunting through his logbook to see what requirements we would need to meet.

Of course we're talking about Private Pilot here, but anybody who has trained a Commercial Pilot applicant knows there are some common requirements that someone may not meet even if they're been flying a long time. For example, solo night landings at a towered field with each involving a traffic pattern. That's four categories - it has to be at night, it has to be solo, the tower has to be open, and you have to have flown the pattern. Few track this combination, or even have any notes to support it. The other obvious example would be the solo Commercial XC. Many of my applicants have tons of flights that might qualify, but they don't have them documented as being solo, because until that point nobody cares.

Certainly for someone who has been flying as long as Martha Lunken, many things have changed. We "assume" she probably meets all the requirements, but who knows? And in addition, can she still locate those records? Many people stop tracking certain categories of time, or stop keeping track altogether after a certain point.

Triggered. Saint Tommy is clean as ivory soap and completely innocent of doing anything other than standing up for his goaltender. Unfortunately his high level of skill has attracted the sports media/Twitter mob, who are jealous they don’t have him on their team.

Clearly, a Caps fan. :)

BTW - I've heard that the FAA is issuing an enforcement action against the ISS. They don't have ADSB, and they are in E airspace above 10,000 feet.

Class A only goes to FL600. The ISS is a "bit" above that. :p

Class A only goes to FL600. The ISS is a "bit" above that. :p

They're not in A, but they are indeed in E - and above 10'000 And do they have the appropriate custom's sticker on the outside of the windshield......... :D

The line 30 wording on 9-14 of the FAA's enforcement bulletin spells out your answer. A mode C broadcasting 1200 doesn't identify the airplane so they'd probably never chase you for it. Mode S and ADS-B are traceable.

I think his question had to do with the situation where the ADSB transmitter uses the mode C device - uAvionix for example.

91.225 (f) requires you to operate in transmit mode if you are equipped. I don't see what it says about transmitting incorrectly.

Trivial, (f)(2) allows you to turn it off at ATC's request, such as approaching KOSH during Airventure.

I enjoyed this video article of her thoughts on the issue.

How does any punishment ever change behavior?
After many spankings, I learned that I was not supposed to hit my big sister, even if she hit me first.
I learned that anyone can hit me, but I can't hit a girl. Even if she takes my stuff.
Punishment is strange stuff. Here's a spanking because we don't hit each other, that's bad behavior.

After enough spankings I learned that I needed to spend more time on the front end reducing the possibility of being caught. :)

After enough spankings I learned that I needed to spend more time on the front end reducing the possibility of being caught. :)
A big sister is just like ADS-B out. It tells on your every move.

Back