Garmin Pilot

plongson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
plongson
Recently got GP and in some areas of this program, there is a bit of a learning curve. I have yet to find a full tutorial that covers its potential. Has anyone got information or a link that will help us less informed.

One thing that is driving me nuts is...how does one "markup" or draw lines on a chart or SafeTaxi? In ForeFlight it is possible to draw lines but I have not found a way to do this.

Another is the ability to measure (like in FF)... essentially, tap on a measure icon, draw a line and viola you have a distance.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Paul

One thing to keep in mind is iPad features are implemented before Android. I've been frustrated searching how to do something only to realize it's not yet supported on Android. On Android, you can annotate charts but I do not believe you can annotate SafeTaxi diagrams. You annotate from w/in the charts section. Click the three dots aligned vertically in the top right and you'll see the menu option to annotate. I've not used the measure feature.

You can only make annotations in the scrach pad and in the charts (folders not the sectional).

To measure while on map hold 2 fingers and the measuring tool will show up.

YouTube is your friend. There are loads of Garmin Pilot tutorials. I am a heavy user and it is a great application (on par with FF IMO - both are excellent).

NOTE: You can draw on charts but I’m not sure you can draw on the SafeTaxi diagram.

I have a L3 Lynx Transponder and don’t see a way to pair GP with it for ADS-B In data. I can pair the iPad with it via Wi-Fi but not GP. Am I missing something?

I have a L3 Lynx Transponder and don’t see a way to pair GP with it for ADS-B In data. I can pair the iPad with it via Wi-Fi but not GP. Am I missing something?
GP will only accept ADSB data from Garmin equipment or in the latest version from the newest Stratus (I believe)

Another is the ability to measure (like in FF)... essentially, tap on a measure icon, draw a line and viola you have a distance.

Also, tap anywhere and inside the button that pops up it will tell you distance and bearing and ETE from current location.

Here is another quirky/goofy thing GP seems to do...It does not always record a flight...the trace of a flight or any of the data associated with the flight. Mine is sent to record and will sometimes do just fine...or sometimes it won't and I don't realize it until later after take off. It did just that yesterday...Five minutes into the flight I look down and no breadcrumb tap around and viola, back comes the bread crumb...Landed, went into the FBO, came back for the return flight...and it did it again. I didn't even try to jack around with it, I just flew home.

GP is running on a brand new Samsung S6 but this issue is frustrating.

Anyone have the issue of radar not appearing on the map? When I turn on the radar overlay with internet source, orange storm plots appear w/ location and vector but nothing else. There's a crap load of rain up and down the east coast right now yet nothing by the way of radar returns.

Anyone have the issue of radar not appearing on the map?...
As is usually the case, user error :( I started to report this as a bug to Garmin when I noticed in the subscriptions area I was not signed into my account. Wala! Radar returns. Seems strange to get storm tracks but not radar.

As is usually the case, user error :( I started to report this as a bug to Garmin when I noticed in the subscriptions area I was not signed into my account. Wala! Radar returns. Seems strange to get storm tracks but not radar.
Voilà

Here is another quirky/goofy thing GP seems to do...It does not always record a flight...the trace of a flight or any of the data associated with the flight. Mine is sent to record and will sometimes do just fine...or sometimes it won't and I don't realize it until later after take off. It did just that yesterday...Five minutes into the flight I look down and no breadcrumb tap around and viola, back comes the bread crumb...Landed, went into the FBO, came back for the return flight...and it did it again. I didn't even try to jack around with it, I just flew home.

I wonder if it has to do with the S6’s GPS which is gonna suck.

I wonder if it has to do with the S6’s GPS which is gonna suck.
Possibly related, my tablet is bluetooth connected to multiple devices with GPS capabilities. It took me a while before I figured out GP was using the tablet's internal GPS for most flights. I learned I have to go to Connext and specifically select the GDL-50 GPS signal.

AH-HA!! I think you hit the nail on the head! We've been using the tablet GPS all this time. We have a GDL 50 on board my son is flying today. I just called him to alert him to make the change/check the settings in GP.Connext.
THANKS for that info!!

I've noticed this. Make sure you're on the Map screen at takeoff. If you're in a configuration screen or a checklist, it may not track. I've also noticed slow flight maneuvers throw it off a bit, but as soon as you get back to a cruising speed it picks back up and continues the flight. Also, if for some reason the app signs you out - the track is lost to your account as well.

Recently got GP and in some areas of this program, there is a bit of a learning curve. I have yet to find a full tutorial that covers its potential. Has anyone got information or a link that will help us less informed.

One thing that is driving me nuts is...how does one "markup" or draw lines on a chart or SafeTaxi? In ForeFlight it is possible to draw lines but I have not found a way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Paul
most of my students go to FF after using garmin pilot

FF is a little more intuitive

Sadly is not available on android devices. Boeing should do it available to android.

I've used (sparsely) GP, and FF, and prefer iFly over both of them for what I do.

Back