Jet Blue Tailstrike

I had to look that airport up after the article said the other plane was at 7500'... I would assume that to be 7500 MSL, which would be about 900 AGL and less than 3 miles out.

I had to look that airport up after the article said the other plane was at 7500'... I would assume that to be 7500 MSL, which would be about 900 AGL and less than 3 miles out.

Pattern altitude is 7600.

Yampa Valley is the Airport serving Steamboat Springs. During the ski season, there’s a lot of 737/Airbus traffic. It’s uncontrolled and Radar coverage is blocked by the mountains.

Back when TWA was around, they required two Captains on each flight. That didn’t prevent them from landing at CAG (Craig), 12 miles father west.

Cheers

Plane diverts to DIA after ‘tail strike’ during takeoff from Yampa Valley Airport
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...ike-during-takeoff-from-yampa-valley-airport/

Pretty good reporting for a small mountain town newspaper

Cheers
Kevin Booth said, from his vantage point, it looked like when the plane reached take-off speed, the nose of the plane rotated up too much, though Booth said the pilots in the cockpit would have the best view of what happened.

Yep, definitely some Pulitzer material there.

Yep, definitely some Pulitzer material there.
ranks right up there with "emergency takeoff"
"Capt, looks like a line of weather moving in"
"That's okay, we'll be doing an emergency takeoff today so it should't be a problem"

The king air probably called 10 mile straight in landing.

which required them to perform an “emergency take off,”

When I was flying out of College Station (CLL), whenever I heard a friend of mine in the tower I would request an emergency take off...:lol::lol:

His usual response was, ''Whatever....cleared for emergency take off''....

There is no pitch protection on takeoff or landing.
true there is no tail strike protection on the 320, but anybody the has ever flown it knows that a smooth 3 degree/sec rotation and a pitch attitude of less than 10 degrees until you see a vertical speed will avoid a tail strike.

contrary to all the urban legend surrounding the bus it’s still an airplane that will generally do exactly what the pilot tells it to do…

I've found that to be true, even on these little things I fly. Some are more obedient than others about how quickly they respond but that's on the pilot to figure out.

how the h...l do you get a tail strike on TO in a bus?

By over rotating.

contrary to all the urban legend surrounding the bus it’s still an airplane that will generally do exactly what the pilot tells it to do…

Don't bother.. no one believes that.

I'm guessing because I wasn't there, but for whatever reason the bus didn't know the king air was inbound until about rotation time... and seeing a plane 2.5-3.0 mi heading right at you could result in a rush to get airborne.. hence the tail strike.

Here is what it sounded like inside the plane

I’m thinking they saw the plane in final after the takeoff roll started and tried to get in the air quickly. Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What?!?!

Nobody made the infamous “Anybody in the traffic pattern please advise” radio cal!?!?

Probably the first observation out of the NTSB Report.

Cheers

Well, at least no one died…

because they filed a flight plan.

Back