Inflight phone calls?

SteelFish88

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SteelFish88
Hi - Just joined POA.
Odd that I can't find any info on this topic, here or www, I must be doing something wrong.
I (and passengers) want to place and receive inflight phone calls on my smartphone (samsung galaxy note 10, USB-C audio jack, no internal DAC).
Configuration: standard quarter-inch DClark headset configuration (mic+audio, no issues). I insert a quarter-inch to 3mm audio adapter (PA-80S-IPHONE) to split out mic+audio to the smartphone and another adapter to convert 3mm to USB-C with a Digital Analog Converter (DAC). Sounds like a wiring mess but it's only 1 extra cable to the smartphone.
Result: I can hear (and record) cockpit audio (ATC) and smartphone audio (audiobook, music et al) and place+receive phone calls and hear the caller just fine.
Problem: The caller hears me, ATC AND open air cockpit audio which of course is extremely loud drowning out my mic'd voice. The mic noise "leak" is from the smartphone mic which remains ON when the external mic+audio is plugged into the USB-C jack. I would expect the smartphone to detect the external mic and disable the internal mic.
I've tried: To find an option on the smartphone to disable the internal mic but no joy. I've also tried the 3 and 4 contact (TRS+TRRS) 3mm plugs (3-3, 3-4, 4-3, 4-4 connector configs) with no effect. Also tried bluetooth earbuds but the internal smartphone mic remains ON. I'm ready to stick a wad of gum on the smartphone mic to mute it but thought maybe I should run it by the wings' experts first.
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers!

Configuration: standard quarter-inch DClark headset configuration (mic+audio, no issues). I insert a quarter-inch to 3mm audio adapter (PA-80S-IPHONE) to split out mic+audio to the smartphone and another adapter to convert 3mm to USB-C with a Digital Analog Converter (DAC). Sounds like a wiring mess but it's only 1 extra cable to the smartphone.
Upgrade to headsets with BT, e.g. Bose A20, DClark One-X, Lightspeed Zulu 3.
Also tried bluetooth earbuds but the internal smartphone mic remains ON
You'll need Bluetooth earbuds that support HFP profile.

Bluetooth adapter:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6639

or of course, buy headsets with built-in bluetooth.

As someone who is also fond of developing my own solutions, especially when it is cheaper, I realize this isn't really the answer you want. But I will also say that the Bluetooth implementation in the current Bose A20 is pretty good and will do exactly what you're looking to do.

There are other options than the Bose A20.

So, umm, you MAY want to edit that comment to say “cockpit”, which is what I think you meant. Otherwise, it offers up an unsettling reason why you’re not getting calls…

omg! Yea that came across different than intended! Thank you or I wouldn’t have caught it! I gotta get better about reviewing my type!

Bluetooth the phone to an audio panel that supports phone connections. No need for any adapters, etc.

Bluetooth adapter:

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6639

or of course, buy headsets with built-in bluetooth.

As someone who is also fond of developing my own solutions, especially when it is cheaper, I realize this isn't really the answer you want. But I will also say that the Bluetooth implementation in the current Bose A20 is pretty good and will do exactly what you're looking to do.

There are other options than the Bose A20.
Thanks!
I called the Pilot-USA folks (Cyrus), he's convinced the BluLink II (GA Version) Adapter will work. However, I'm not convinced this unit has the ability to turn off my smartphone mic which is the crux of the issue. Cyrus offered to check with his staff for USB-C phone solutions and will call back on Monday. In the meantime I will wait for the adapters to become available in February and buy one, if it doesn't work I have 30-days to return it. That said, I have samsung bluetooth earbuds that I wear under my DC headset and can't make phone calls due to the 'hot mic' cockpit noise.
Cheers!

What are the options for getting better cell service when airborne?

Just get a lightspeed Zulu

Get the Zulu 3... The Lightspeeds have adjustable mic gain. I keep mine all the way down and works great in open cockpit or flying my Cub with the door and window open. I talk on the phone all the time flying my J-3 and it is clear.

I’ve actually found much better luck getting usable GSM service in more remote areas, where you hit fewer towers. It’s when you hit a lot that the system pukes (technical term).

In fact, I have conducted lengthy conversations, perfect clarity, while flying 10,500 over west Texas. Data not so great; texts ok, attachments (photos) not too good.

This is on AT&T. Any others better?

Your crazy :) that cockpit is my sanctuary away from calls!

Yup. I turn my phone OFF and require that my passengers do the same. Remember, under 91.21 if you are flying IFR you (the PIC) must determine that the phone (and any other personal electronics) do not interfere with the navigation and communications equipment on board the aircraft. I'm an EMC engineer (and have been for decades) and have an idea of what would be involved. It's much easier to just turn the phones off for the duration. Even if I'm not flying IFR I still don't want to deal with it, so they get turned off anyway.

Foreflight uses cellular data

I’ve actually found much better luck getting usable GSM service in more remote areas, where you hit fewer towers. It’s when you hit a lot that the system pukes (technical term).
Actually, that hasn't been a problem since last century when the last of the analog AMPS systems were shut down. The bigger issue is that the cell sites are designed not to radiate/receive where they don't expect subscribers to be. The earlier sites were pretty much omnitdirectional and used reduced power to achieve spatial reuse. Now the cells are much smaller, and use extensive directionality as well as spread spectrum modulation schemes.

The more rural you get the better time you'll likely have at altitude, actually.

Around the metro area I knew when I was descending through about 3000 because all of a sudden all the backed up text messages would start being delivered.

Around the metro area I knew when I was descending through about 3000 because all of a sudden all the backed up text messages would start being delivered.

The altimeter is probably a more reliable method of determining that you're descending through 3000... :)

Ps engineering 8000bt with any headset lets you make calls from the cockpit and still receive radio transmissions. Works great to call departure.

Most of my flying is solo, so I am not used to having a conversation while flying. I have taken calls while flying, I find it distracting and I feel like I'm getting behind the airplane. I will only take calls now when I am in cruise flight at higher altitude and cut the calls off several minutes prior to 10 miles from the airport. I have played music in the headset, but I find it takes away from my situational awareness as well. I don't do that anymore either.
I know of people that are struggling to get comfortable in their airplane, that tell me they have their music up so loud on approach that they think they hear something and have to turn the music down to listen again. Maybe its just me, but when I'm flying, I like to just fly.

I go flying so I can enjoy the away time. I'm not going to pull out my phone to talk or text.
Maybe to take pics.
Definitely to take pics.
IMG_1494_20220131_195906.jpg
IMG-20211108-WA0018.jpg
IMG959653_20220104_220123.jpg
Okay, yeah a few pics. But I want to be away from the rest of the idiots, at least for a while.

I call Signature for fuel when landing from the A20, fuel truck arrives at hangar just about the same time I shut down.

Two kinds of flying.

Those who advocate no-phone-use “to get away from it all” must be about flying locally.

For those who fly XC from little airports, it’s a big help to phone for an IFR clearance from the cockpit while on the ground, and to phone ahead while airborne for weather at the destination.

This thread reminds me of old times when I would get a phone patch over HF to "test" the equipment. There are (were) a few places you could reach out to on the HF that would dial the number and hand patch your frequency to a landline. This had (obvious) drawbacks though. Anyone on the freq could join in on your call.

Back