Show Us Your Pets!

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
It's winter, many of us are waiting for better flying weather, so in the meantime, how about showing us your pets?

We have two dogs. This one is named Hannah.
HannahAt13.jpg

She came to us from the Homeless Pets Foundation of Marietta, Ga. She's lived with us since approximately 10 weeks of age, and is now 13 years old. She was a very active girl most of her life. Up until a couple of years ago, she was a great ball chaser. The first five years of her life she was very good on her back legs, so despite her petite size, no food was safe if left on the edge of a counter.

Now that I'm working from home, she spends her days with me.
HannahOfice.jpg

Her hearing isn't so good, and she has cataracts, but the nose can still sniff out a bit of cheese at 40 paces. Her liver function isn't the best, so I don't know how much longer we'll have her. so we cherish every day.

This elegant lady is Ellie.
ElliePointing.jpg

My wife has wanted to get a second dog for a few years,. I've been reluctant to do that, I wasn't sure that Hannah wanted another dog in the house. I was wrong, she likes Ellie very much and they get along perfectly.

Last year, my wife was looking to adopt an adult dog, but wasn't having much success, lots of households were looking for dogs and nearly all of the dogs my wife applied for got adopted quickly. My wife applied for a dog from Wags and Wiggles Dog Rescue , which specializes in adult dogs coming from difficult situations and high kill rate shelters. One of the volunteers from that group reached out to my wife to see if we would be interested in one particular dog that they had, who was coming out of an animal hoarding situation, and was one of the more than 50 animals inside this house. She was looking for a home that had no small children, a fenced yard, some experienced dog owners, and preferably had a dog that was not too active, as the dog she was trying to place was very shy and fearful. She brought Ellie to our house to see if she and Hannah were compatible. Hannah was interested in Ellie, and Ellie was not aggressive towards Hannah, so we kept her.
EllieInBeanbag.jpg

We don't know that much about Ellie's life prior to her removal from the hoarding house. Her vet estimated she was two years old when we got her last year, and we can see that she's had at least one litter of puppies, and probably at least two.
EllieSitting.jpg

It hasn't been an entirely smooth ride. Ellie immediately latched on to my wife as her protector, and to this day she's very excited when Linda comes home from work. She also likes both of our daughters very much, and she and the older daughter are particularly close when that daughter is in town. Me, on the other hand, she's been very fearful. Things are getting better between us, she'll now come get me when she wants to go out and I can take her on walks. It was about 10 months before I could touch her without her cowering, and she and I had a little incident. One of our daughters had left a grocery bag with a few items in it on a bench, and Ellie grabbed it and took it upstairs. I found her sitting on a large chair with a bag of dill pickle flavored popcorn (?!) in her mouth. I pulled it away from her and told her that it wasn't hers. She pulled it back, I took it back again, and in a flash she bit me on the nose. Once I got the bleeding stopped, I had a few words for her, and left her alone. Fortunately, we haven't had a repeat of that episode. We did have a problem with her occasionally thinking it was OK to pee or poop in the house, and a couple of area rugs have made the ultimate sacrifice for her, but she's doing well now, and hopefully we will have her for many years to come.

Anyone else have pet pictures to share?

Last edited:
IMG_0698.jpeg We have two, Snickers and Oliver. Snickers is the black dog, Oliver the mostly white dog. Snickers was Don's dog when we got married. She's about 16 years old and feeling her age, with kidney problems. But when it's time to go up the hill to do her business, she scampers right along. She is the sweetest dog I've ever known. Don named her Snickers because when she was a pup, she was the same color as the candy bar, but she darkened over time.

Oliver is about 5 years old. We got him from a private party when Don's other dog died of old age (19). We had looked and looked for another shih tzu, but they are really popular and we found out that local shelters would advertise dogs from thousands of miles away! So Don looked on Craigslist and found Oliver, who belonged to a woman not far away who had to take a second job and felt she couldn't give him the attention he deserved. After we met him and introduced him to Snickers, his experience with us was a 1-hour plane ride, which did not make him very happy. Don had to hold him tightly, but he eventually calmed down and was fine. He has a sparkling personality that keeps us amused constantly.

New plane owner question: what do you do if you have a flat tire yikes :eek:

lol. A car either has run flats or a spare.
Run flats or spares get you to a garage, but you still have to address the issue. You could carry a spare tire/wheel set but most folks don't bother because most flats happen at airports, and most airports have the resources to repair the flat. Folks flying in the boonies often carry their own replacement tubes and make the repair themselves.

<<<< Our girl Janis, nearly 15 now. She's half-deaf, losing her hair, and naps a lot -- hey, she's just like me!

We got her and her brother Jimi at about 8 weeks, and he timed out a year ago.

Here they were when we brought them home.

upload_2022-1-29_13-35-2.jpeg

And our own: Snow, who is not terribly photogenic, and Wonton, who is half cat, half shrimp.
smiley.JPG
shrimp.JPG

Nauga,
who is lucky cats don't have thumbs

Back