Donate Plane

So, in the effort to further the GA "mission", they immediately send the Extra down to Florida to load it up with new avionics . . . because he traveled 90% of the way across the US and had no problems using the current panel. While I do think this aircraft would be a blast, I'm not sure how it furthers GA from AOPA other than giving a new toy for the AOPA staff to tool around in. Are they giving free instruction in it? Obviously not useful for Angel Flights or Young Eagles (wouldn't qualify for either as an Experimental).

AOPA has sent me 2 emails recently about becoming a legacy donor once I kick off. I think they would rather I be dead. I've heard that from a few people before but not really sure what I did to them. I guess my annual dues aren't enough.

I think the new avionics is more for the manufacturers to show their wares than for the aopa staff.

, I'm not sure how it furthers GA from AOPA
AOPA doesn't much further GA as most of us care about it. That's why I stopped renewing several years ago (closing the red board was the last straw).

AOPA doesn't much further GA as most of us care about it. That's why I stopped renewing several years ago (closing the red board was the last straw).
I've long given EAA far more credit/respect when it comes to GA.

This was the first year I dropped out after just not seeing the small GA value. I've gotten dozens of emails and physical mail alerting me to my lapsed membership. I'm sure they do something valuable, but they certainly think their top brass are worth a mint for all of that "advocacy".

Hopefully, they'll give it to someone other than Gryder to get ready for the sweepstakes.
Is it going to be a sweepstakes airplane (I didn’t read the article carefully, but I didn’t see that) or is AOPA going to be a competitor in the upset training business?

I don’t understand why it couldn’t be used for Young Eagles Flights?

Article mentioned it’s a 2-seater.

Tim

So, in the effort to further the GA "mission", they immediately send the Extra down to Florida to load it up with new avionics . . . because he traveled 90% of the way across the US and had no problems using the current panel. While I do think this aircraft would be a blast, I'm not sure how it furthers GA from AOPA other than giving a new toy for the AOPA staff to tool around in. Are they giving free instruction in it? Obviously not useful for Angel Flights or Young Eagles (wouldn't qualify for either as an Experimental).

Article mentioned it’s a 2-seater.

Tim

I may be forgetting the rules, but I thought I had read that Experimental category aircraft were prohibited for Young Eagles flights. I know that Experimental or 2-seaters are generally prohibited for Angel Flight.

I may be forgetting the rules, but I thought I had read that Experimental category aircraft were prohibited for Young Eagles flights. I know that Experimental or 2-seaters are generally prohibited for Angel Flight.
All 300L's are tc'd. Regardless, I dont think this would be the craft for a young eagles flight

Tim
Nope, there are no restrictions on the aircraft for YE other than it being legally airworthy. The EAA pilot guidance directly answers this (and they even show experimental in their promotional materials):

Can I fly my licensed “Experimental” aircraft? Yes. All aircraft are eligible provided they are properly licensed and flown in accordance with appropriate FARs (or your country’s equivalent) and the Young Eagles program guidelines.

While Angel Flight requirements are a regional thing, some don't have a bar. AngelFlight west does bar it for passenger flights (but they allow it for "blood" and other such cargo transports).

AOPA has sent me 2 emails recently about becoming a legacy donor once I kick off. I think they would rather I be dead. I've heard that from a few people before but not really sure what I did to them. I guess my annual dues aren't enough.

That is become a popular thing to target those that have a tad of wealth...eff the kids and leave us your stuff to go to something you are passionate about so your legacy lives on.

One of my former clients did events for old rich people and the organization had an entire "legacy" team complete with seminars at all the events on how to leave them their money. It was almost like a timeshare pitch...and yeah, those patrons were with more to them dead than alive!

That is become a popular thing to target those that have a tad of wealth...eff the kids and leave us your stuff to go to something you are passionate about so your legacy lives on.
Our will basically adds charities as a “extra kid”, so with 3 kids, the estate gets divided four ways, with percentages or specific amounts designated for the named charities.

I have no confidence that AOPA will use this plane wisely. The whole article was just a nice story, but the punchline was weak: "Thanks to Williams’ incredible generosity, AOPA has an exceptional new tool to accomplish our GA mission."
How? They did not address the title of the article at all.

is AOPA going to be a competitor in the upset training business?

If they really are serious about safety and outreach to pilots they could travel the country in it and do just that at a greatly reduced costs for members. I know ... that's the definition of a pipe dream!

Should have given it to the ASF then. I've got a lot more respect for the ASF and the guy running it and little more than contempt for AOPA as a whole (and one of my old college dormmates is a senior guy there).

So what are you guys doing that's any better for GA than what the AOPA is doing? Just curious.

If they really are serious about safety and outreach to pilots they could travel the country in it and do just that at a greatly reduced costs for members. I know ... that's the definition of a pipe dream!

Can't be breaking into that several hundred million cash war chest they have in order to actually engage with the little guy, lol.

So what are you guys doing that's any better for GA than what the AOPA is doing? Just curious.

Going to pancake breakfasts and engaging with EAA members and homebuilders at a small local airport? Taking up my friends/co-workers' curious children to show them what flight in small aircraft is like and try to light a spark in them? I dunno, I don't have a ton of time/money to change the world en mass. One person at a time.

I have no confidence that AOPA will use this plane wisely. The whole article was just a nice story, but the punchline was weak: "Thanks to Williams’ incredible generosity, AOPA has an exceptional new tool to accomplish our GA mission."
How? They did not address the title of the article at all.

aggreed, it will end up in the AOPA hanger and the top dogs will fly it as much as they want, or one of there cronies will win it in a raffle or something

no love for the raffles and flight training scholarships

They deny it but they sure seams rigged

Calling and emailing my elected officials regarding issues that effect the industry.

AOPA is the NRA of aviation.

EAA and young eagles seems way better, as does teaching people about the dangers of big government

“If I were to donate my Extra to AOPA, would the association have a purpose for it?”

Heck yeah, we'll up the membership fees so staff can fly it at no cost until it's trashed, then raffle it off.

Good on BruceAir, his heart's in the right place.

Give someone an occasional airplane ride. Let them fly in the left seat and don't charge for a membership.

Yeah, I am. I'm throwing money at other organizations including the EAA and POA instead.

Eh, new avionics are a good thing. It isn't like they're going to stop spinning it. This way, they can actually fly the airplane reliably to and from events and otherwise keep the missions safer if they need an IFR.

I don't think that is true at all.

I heard a guy name Trevor just crashed his plane that needs one.

I'm sure he can fold a piece of paper.

AOPA is the NRA of aviation.

Eh, don't insult AOPA that way.

Eh, new avionics are a good thing. It isn't like they're going to stop spinning it. This way, they can actually fly the airplane reliably to and from events and otherwise keep the missions safer if they need an IFR.

I don't think that is true at all.

I'm sure he can fold a piece of paper.

Eh, don't insult AOPA that way.

Doesn’t AOPA have a few private jets? Suits are expensive but at least NRA puts dollars into the crooked politicians pockets from time to time, if you’re not buying a few politicians I don’t see the point in giving you my money, also NRA, as fudd like as it is, has some pretty good youth firearm education programs, as government run schools for some reason doesn’t want kids to know as much about shooting rifles or the constitution as time goes forward.

AOPA didn’t even try to fight us being tracked and taxed with ADSB, and all they offer is a made in china hat for the dues

I’d rather support EAA or NBAA

The reason I saw was this
" to continue the famous aerobat's mission: helping pilots improve their understanding of unusual attitudes."
not sure how that's going to happen though.......

Doesn’t AOPA have a few private jets? Suits are expensive but at least NRA puts dollars into the crooked politicians pockets from time to time, if you’re not buying a few politicians I don’t see the point in giving you my money, also NRA, as fudd like as it is, has some pretty good youth firearm education programs, as government run schools for some reason doesn’t want kids to know as much about shooting rifles or the constitution as time goes forward.

AOPA didn’t even try to fight us being tracked and taxed with ADSB, and all they offer is a made in china hat for the dues

I’d rather support EAA or NBAA

AOPA's lobbying efforts have kept our skies much safer and more open for GA. ADS-B is the least of my concerns - it makes my life easier.

Saving paper lol
Even if I joined AOPA, I’m sure they spent more money on paper, ink, envelopes and stamps than the membership fee.

I thought I had read that Experimental category aircraft were prohibited for Young Eagles flights.
There’s no prohibition against using an exp airplane for YE flights. That’s the most common type used.

Author needs to use proper grammar in his article. One hopes he is more precise in his flying.

The reason I saw was this
" to continue the famous aerobat's mission: helping pilots improve their understanding of unusual attitudes."
not sure how that's going to happen though.......

Most likely scenario is that they will start producing UPRT videos of their pilots flying the plane so that you can watch and learn from them ... :rolleyes:

AOPA's lobbying efforts have kept our skies much safer and more open for GA. ADS-B is the least of my concerns - it makes my life easier.

How have they made it safer and more open?

Back