Any piston engines that fly above FL250?

RE: Vaporware

..there's a continuum there, part of it depending on how outlandish the claim is combined with how much credibility the entity has (track record, financials, scientific plausibility)

on the one end you have literal water vapor and the other the 172
..I'd put thousands of stupid eVtol concepts right there with water vapor.. so far everything we've seen is just a dressed up quadcopter all waiting on some magical promise of that breakthrough battery and sweeping updates to aviation regs

following that you've got the Boom Overture.. supersonic travel has been tried many a times.. the 787 was originally a near supersonic cruiser, the Citation X (near), and obviously the Concorde, TU-144, Boeing 2707. Boom Overture (stupid name btw) has a long road ahead of it.. they seem to have financial strength for now, but not much else

The Raptor actually flew, and flew quite a bit. Granted, it was a poorly built Velocity rip off that miserably failed nearly every performance target, yet, it did fly, several times, and managed an engine out off field landing that resulted in virtually no injuries (from what we can tell) - that's something

The Celera is less vaporware, it appears to have a competent test and development program.. although they haven't met their targets yet it so far seems to be doing well.. hitting about 220 knots and managing to climb to 14K. I'd imagine given the publicity that has surrounded it they're going to be very cautious with pushing that plane, virtually all of it is new, including the engine. Either way, the Raptor never got anywhere near 250 mph and 14K.. it struggled to climb above pattern altitude

For comparison I threw the Rivian and the Cybertruck in there. The Rivian will happen, but Tesla is an established brand now with a loyal following.. so the Cybertruck is less of a vaporware product. Lucid is somewhere there too, probably more vapor than R1T
upload_2022-1-21_22-31-22.png

RE: Vaporware

..there's a continuum there, part of it depending on how outlandish the claim is combined with how much credibility the entity has (track record, financials, scientific plausibility)

on the one end you have literal water vapor and the other the 172
..I'd put thousands of stupid eVtol concepts right there with water vapor.. so far everything we've seen is just a dressed up quadcopter all waiting on some magical promise of that breakthrough battery and sweeping updates to aviation regs

following that you've got the Boom Overture.. supersonic travel has been tried many a times.. the 787 was originally a near supersonic cruiser, the Citation X (near), and obviously the Concorde, TU-144, Boeing 2707. Boom Overture (stupid name btw) has a long road ahead of it.. they seem to have financial strength for now, but not much else

The Raptor actually flew, and flew quite a bit. Granted, it was a poorly built Velocity rip off that miserably failed nearly every performance target, yet, it did fly, several times, and managed an engine out off field landing that resulted in virtually no injuries (from what we can tell) - that's something

The Celera is less vaporware, it appears to have a competent test and development program.. although they haven't met their targets yet it so far seems to be doing well.. hitting about 220 knots and managing to climb to 14K. I'd imagine given the publicity that has surrounded it they're going to be very cautious with pushing that plane, virtually all of it is new, including the engine. Either way, the Raptor never got anywhere near 250 mph and 14K.. it struggled to climb above pattern altitude

For comparison I threw the Rivian and the Cybertruck in there. The Rivian will happen, but Tesla is an established brand now with a loyal following.. so the Cybertruck is less of a vaporware product. Lucid is somewhere there too, probably more vapor than R1T
View attachment 103960
And the ugly award goes to....cybertruck. Tantalum will disagree and say 172 and I've got no rebuttal.

and I've got no rebuttal
:rofl:

I have to be nice sometimes, it brought me safely to L35 and back to drop my girlfriend off.. stayed within personal minimums but it was windy.. and bumpy! From the club though this 180 conversion has, IMHO, the best climb rate and useful of any of our single engine pistons.. so it was nominated for this task of windy mountain flying
upload_2022-1-22_13-2-42.png

I actually agree on the Cybertruck

I’ve flown a 414A at FL280 (because the owner wanted to). No big deal getting up there and it was still climbing at a descent rate. Don’t remember exactly what. Generally I’ll fly 414As up to FL250 and 414s up to FL220 to keep the cabin below 10,000’ if winds aloft and trip length are appropriate. My straight 414 is certified to 30,000’ and that was with the 310 hp engines it originally had.

I’ve flown a 414A at FL280 (because the owner wanted to). No big deal getting up there and it was still climbing at a descent rate.
This is the best typo I've seen in a while. :)

ha! nice, I missed that

This is the best typo I've seen in a while. :)
Oops. As a spelling nazi, I am so ashamed I won’t edit my post. The shame of it. (Although it was undoubtedly a spell check error. )

The M20K was certified in 1986. Produced through 1990

M20K includes the 231, so first deliveries were 1979. Yes, both the 231 and 252 are M20K.

There is the later 1990s Encore, which is the 252 with 10 more HP and dual pucks brakes and a 230 pound GW increase.

Back